BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bradford City (home)

3 hours ago, Biz said:

We lost a player in the run up to kick off that’s why Samuel started. I also think he’s an asset for his age, especially third tier. I’m guessing you won’t agree as you “seem” to be completely out of touch on that one. He’s not a world beater don’t get me wrong, but how can you write him off on something he “seems” to have? More starts in a team more set up to play to his strengths, and I think you’d see more from Samuel.

Antonsson technically inferior to Paul Downing? I’d argue Marcus has a great shot, good in thr air, a good turn of pace and buckets of strength and energy. He’s certainly not a wide man though, a position he’s actually looked decent for us all season. He works really hard and can use both feet - decent option to me.

We are third tier. I think this escapes some people’s reality. We’ve played a 4231 pretty much for months using Graham as the link, yet you’d expect Samuel to pick up that role perfectly against two decent centre halves, after likely finding out about it 20 minutes before kick off. We attacked well but failed to capatlise first half then two subs directly influenced the play and ultimately carved Bradford up.

Evans fought hard, was combative and at times actually looked quite sharp with turning defense into attack. It was one of his better games and I think anyone who’s regulary watched Corry since we bought him would agree, he’s not had many of them recently.

Raya is still young but his technical ability (shot stopping, handling and kicking) is that of a very good keeper. I think he already looks more confident than early in the season, there is a reason why they say a keepers “prime” is in their 30s.

The only things I’d agree on is Bennett can play literally anywhere and do a job and Dack is easily a class above most teams on his own. 

It’s hard to truly work out just how good of a signing he might be in terms of our near future. Hats of to Tony on that one. 

I certainly didnt expect a Graham like performance when I found out Samuel was starting, I am fully aware that Grahams hold up play is excellent and hes the perfect link for Dack etc. But even when Armstrong was down the middle, and hes tiny, the ball sticks to him far more, his touch brings it into his body, the ball bounces off Samuel almost every single time, I'm not expecting Graham like hold up play.

Alot of patience goes out of the window with Samuels body language and attitude. He was given a chance to prove Mowbray wrong for not using him that often, and he looked quite the opposite of a player desperate to impress.

Whilst I appreciate that he may have found out late, although your 20 minutes before kick off is likely to be an exaggeration, he should prepare as if hes starting regardless of whether he will or not, so thats not really an excuse.

I'm not a fan of his, I have to say, hes got nowhere near to justifying his fairly expensive fee at this level, hes not scored enough goals, and he doesnt offer anything in terms of hold up, nor does he make the best use out of his pace. And I'm not convinced that although I appreciate hes quite young, that he has the application or the footballing intelligence to score regularly at this level, or ideally a level above, that said I hope he proves me wrong.

Im well aware we are 3rd tier, in fact I think our depth is very good/unparalleled at this level, that doesnt mean I cant argue that Samuel is a poor player.

In regards to Antonsson, I meant his technical ability compared to our other attacking players. His first touch is really poor, often leading to the ball going out of play. I've got far more time for Antonsson than for Samuel, mainly due to the fact that I've never doubted his attitude, he always leaves everything on the pitch. I also think he offers a goal threat, especially during the purple patch he had, from a wide position, and I think for a team chasing the top 2, you need goals from all over really. I dont think for example that Shrewsbury have an Antonsson level goal threat from a wide forward who is a sub more often than not. I just dont think hes the most natural of footballers, for example youll see the full back coming forward, or even I remember Dack ran forward and his movement tends to often just clog up the pitch, rather than open it up.

Regarding Evans, my point was more that I was surprised that he was mentioned specially to be a potential man of the match, he gave the ball away quite a lot I thought. I think hes had far worse games, he did some good things as well and I dont actually mind him in general, hes a decent midfielder when fit,very composed albeit needs to stamp his authority more.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived