BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] WBA

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What you and the supporters of most clubs below the big six needed to realise is that you are only one really bad managerial appointment away from disaster.

The first thing I did when I heard Big Sam had been sacked was look at the league table to see how many points we needed to get to the magic 40 points. When they appointed Kean permanently after such a short time I knew we were doomed.

Agree with this.  Call it gut instinct or just plain old experience from years of watching and playing the game but I knew straightway sacking Sam would be a recipe for disaster.

People who think the likes of Bilic or Laudrup would come in and do a better job were in fantasyland. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What you and the supporters of most clubs below the big six needed to realise is that you are only one really bad managerial appointment away from disaster.

The first thing I did when I heard Big Sam had been sacked was look at the league table to see how many points we needed to get to the magic 40 points. When they appointed Kean permanently after such a short time I knew we were doomed.

not really true that 1st bit. Look at Leivcester City who appoint Puel or Swansea who appoint Carvahal and these appointments were moaned by the media but both proved to be good appointments so far. 

That's why Chairman/board/sporting director/Director of football are paid a lot of money to make these decisions and to get them corrected. Even Williams made a bad appointment in Ince here and Pardew at WBA and it cost him his job there. 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray being linked with this and the Ipswich job. Testament to the great job he is doing. Personally I hope he stays with us next season 

which paper is it in?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Agree with this.  Call it gut instinct or just plain old experience from years of watching and playing the game but I knew straightway sacking Sam would be a recipe for disaster.

People who think the likes of Bilic or Laudrup would come in and do a better job were in fantasyland. 

I'm sure Bilic did a good job at West Ham until the owners started signing players and not who the manager wants. 

Didn't Laudrup win a trophy at Swansea. 

also look at the squad we had back then when Sam was sacked. We had Olsson, Holiett, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Kalinic, Benjani, Roberts, Diouf plus quality defenders like Salgado, Samba, Jones, Nelsen, Givet. 

we could have played attack teams abit more. 

what you don't realise that people don't want to watch Boring defensive football every week when you have quality attacking players. 

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

not really true that 1st bit. Look at Leivcester City who appoint Puel or Swansea who appoint Carvahal and these appointments were moaned by the media but both proved to be good appointments so far. 

That's why Chairman/board/sporting director/Director of football are paid a lot of money to make these decisions and to get them corrected. Even Williams made a bad appointment in Ince here and Pardew at WBA and it cost him his job there. 

which paper is it in?

I'm sure Bilic did a good job at West Ham until the owners started signing players and not who the manager wants. 

Didn't Laudrup win a trophy at Swansea. 

also look at the squad we had back then when Sam was sacked. We had Olsson, Holiett, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Kalinic, Benjani, Roberts, Diouf plus quality defenders like Salgado, Samba, Jones, Nelsen, Givet. 

what you don't realise that people don't want to watch Boring defensive football every week when you have quality attacking players. 

Really stretching it with some of them players :lol: Benjani and Roberts

Fact of the matter is the squad Allardyce had before he left was one that had been massively underfunded and as a result was very limited, and massively overachieved when we finished 10th.

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Fact of the matter is the squad Allardyce had before he left was one that had been massively underfunded and as a result was very limited, and massively overachieved when we finished 10th.

Sam had plans for the team to kick on from that 10th place finish with some seriously good signings, Lewandowski among them, for a fraction of the money the owners subsequently wasted. The club didn't need Carlos kickball managers like Bilic and Laudrup because we had a gem already in the managerial dugout. Fans who make lazy statements about "hoofball" don't know what they're talking about. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Sam had plans for the team to kick on from that 10th place finish with some seriously good signings, Lewandowski among them, for a fraction of the money the owners subsequently wasted. The club didn't need Carlos kickball managers like Bilic and Laudrup because we had a gem already in the managerial dugout. Fans who make lazy statements about "hoofball" don't know what they're talking about. 

As opposed to lazy statements about "Carlos kickball managers"?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

no way back then. 

we have a very good season that last full season before Walker family and trust decide to sell the club and wasn't willing to fund anything anymore 

we deffo didn't underperform that season and we the squad we had. 

31 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

that's was before Venkys bought the club. 

Didn't Big Sam want to sign James Beattie? 

I'm sorry Jim, you are talking rubbish by saying I'm understand Hoofball cos I've watched plenty of it with managers like Big Sam, Pulis, Pardew. 

I wouldn't see Bilic style is kickball manager tho. so you don't know what you are on about again 

Big Sam knew in what areas where to play football so the players linked were exciting. What annoyed me about Sam is his philosphy that games he deemed we could not win were not worth trying in. The prime example being the 7-1 drubbing against Man Utd. Anyone for chicken Goulons?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

that's was before Venkys bought the club. 

I'm sorry Jim, you are talking rubbish by saying I'm understand Hoofball cos I've watched plenty of it with managers like Big Sam, Pulis, Pardew. 

I wouldn't see Bilic style is kickball manager tho. so you don't know what you are on about again 

Sam Allardyce was on the verge of signing Lewadowski but was foiled by the iceland ash cloud

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2314519/Robert-Lewandowski-signed-Blackburn-Rovers-flight-hadnt-cancelled-Icelandic-ash-cloud.html

More Lancashire tripe from you, with vinegar and seasoning. 

You miss the point entirely Chaddy. The appointments I'm talking about are the bad ones not the ones that work out ok. If Dyche leaves the Dingles  they are only one bad managerial appointment from the drop. Like Ince at Rovers,  if he'd have stayed on a month longer we would have probably gone down. When the Chokers kept Kean on after that first season you could have put your house on us going down. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Relatively speaking, we had a similar high-attacking-quality side under Bowyer and he held us back. Some very different arguments then though.

I think you have a point with Allardyce and there is a little bit of hindsight going on here from some. Allardyce was a perfect fit for Rovers in terms of expectation at that time. Ince was taking us down and he rescued us but he was no Mark Hughes. He had a raw but talented Kalinic and didn’t try to get the best out of him. However, the issue was the takeover by Kean, rather than the decision to pot Big Sam. No reason for us not to have expected better and it was that decision in conjunction which took us down.

We had our moments but football under Allardyce was, by and large, awful. Yes, we won regularly at home but it wasn’t a long term solution. It was a 40 point annual aim treading water until we could had owners prepared to spend.

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You miss the point entirely Chaddy. The appointments I'm talking about are the bad ones not the ones that work out ok. If Dyche leaves the Dingles  they are only one bad managerial appointment from the drop. Like Ince at Rovers,  if he'd have stayed on a month longer we would have probably gone down. When the Chokers kept Kean on after that first season you could have put your house on us going down. 

Ok no problem. 

Yes Kean should have gone after getting us involved in relegation when we should have no been in one even after the January signings we made in Santa Cruz and Jones. 

They were plenty of good managers available back then. 

Just now, Stuart said:

Relatively speaking, we had a similar high-attacking-quality side under Bowyer and he held us back. Some very different arguments then though.

I think you have a point with Allardyce and there is a little bit of hindsight going on here from some. Allardyce was a perfect fit for Rovers in terms of expectation at that time. Ince was taking us down and he rescued us but he was no Mark Hughes. He had a raw but talented Kalinic and didn’t try to get the best out of him. However, the issue was the takeover by Kean, rather than the decision to pot Big Sam. No reason for us not to have expected better and it was that decision in conjunction which took us down.

We had our moments but football under Allardyce was, by and large, awful. Yes, we won regularly at home but it wasn’t a long term solution. It was a 40 point annual aim treading water until we could had owners prepared to spend.

Yes you could say that about Bowyer and not getting the best out of Josh King was a massive mistake and now a proven PL player.

Allardyce bought Kalinic to play in 4-4-2 formation and then change formation to 4-2-3-1 and try to Kalinic into a target man when he isn't that type of play. Now playing for AC Milan. 

The away performances under Big Sam were awful and disappointing. results were very poor. 

At the risk of upsetting various sensitive souls, jim is 100% correct in everything he was posting.

Laudrup was the serious alternative to Ince and Mancini to Allardyce. John Williams plumped for English talent in both cases but then that is not the done thing. Curbishley was nowhere near being appointed- don't think he was interviewed but stand to be corrected on that. Certainly never made a short list.

And I am not backing down one iota on what I posted about how our brilliant management team was destroyed by people who officially nowhere near managing the club...

Would love to have seen a young Lewandowski at Ewood. With him in the team, Sam still at the helm and a few more additions there's a good chance we'd have finished well above the 10th place of Sam's last season at the club. Armchair fans always think the grass is greener elsewhere when they don't realise what they already have is pretty good. 

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armchair fans? Wtf are you on about Jim? Season ticket holder for over 20 years and never miss a home league game in that time. Plus in the Premier League days I used alot more away games than now. 

But I'm armchair fan how I dont know. 

Maybe Allardyce would have played different football if we had sign Lewandowski but we didnt. 

The last sentence is just insult to Rovers fans. The last few months of Allardyce reign was boring and dull to watch. Wasted Kalinic talent who is playing AC Milan who are one of greatest clubs ever. 

Crikey. What I’d give for the last few months under Allardyce right now.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I watched the Premier league years recently when we had Hughes. Some great football and great memories. 

Yeah, agreed. But as much as I am enjoying a good run of results against league one sides, I’d still take the Allardyce  reign and knowing we could continue to hold our own against premiership clubs...

Chaddy...there were times under Hughes that it was just like Allerdyce. Playing percentage football to get required results. Lets not just take the good times from one manager and the bad ones from another to make a point.

Both had games that we played good football but the likewise there were games that were boring

Accept your point about Kalinic though

Im in the Alladyce camp - he had us punching above our weight with the budgets we had. Those that wanted him gone now have 100x karma. SA works that way, he works from the back to the front and can play attractive football, look at his time with Bolton.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Im in the Alladyce camp - he had us punching above our weight with the budgets we had. Those that wanted him gone now have 100x karma. SA works that way, he works from the back to the front and can play attractive football, look at his time with Bolton.

And yet City went with Pep.

Go figure.

Just now, Stuart said:

And yet City went with Pep.

Go figure.

Obviously he aint a Pep and we never had the billions that they are giving him but SA gets the best out of what he has at his disposal.

Archived