BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray to Ipswich?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/29/mick-mccarthy-leave-ipswich-manager-end-of-season

From the article:-

"Tony Mowbray, the Blackburn manager and former Ipswich player, is among the names being considered and he is known to find the idea attractive"

Can't see why to be honest. Further away from his family and if we go up no real difference in the stature of the clubs.  Ipswich are also skint so no real improvement there either.

Strange one.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect Mowbray will make an "I am utterly committed to Rovers promotion" statement."

Two reasons for not saying anything more:

- if we don't go up, Mowbray was always going to leave. One out of three clubs are going into the play off where the odds of not going up are three in four. So chances of being out of a job at Ewood are 25%. Any sane person would keep the Ipswich option open in those circumstances.

- if we go up, doing a Sheffield United and challenging for promotion is possible with one or two smart additions to this squad. Mowbray apparently has the ear of the Raos. Now the cost base has been adjusted for existence in League 1, a £10m injection (transfer fees and wages) would make us a more than useful outfit in the Championship, £20m and we should be serious promotion contenders. 

The Raos' £150m is gone. If they think in terms of cost/return expectations, £20m spent in the summer could be the best £20m they will have ever spent. The knowledge of Ipswich's interest could be very handy when Mowbray goes to the Rao bungalow compound in May.

Ipswich is a risk and I bet their budget isn't much different than ours and will probably be cut next season if Evans wouldn't invest much for McCarthy he's unlikely to start now.

Can only see their mantra being survival next season so he'd be a bit mad to go down there at the min and he didn't keep Rovers up in similar circumstances.

All experienced managers get coveted at some point even Coyle keeps getting jobs so no surprise but I think the Rovers job is his to give away at the min.

Because Mowbray has done well in his time here it is easy to forget he was pretty much damaged goods when he got the job. Rovers gave him a chance to rebuild his reputation and he is taking it so far. His honesty is one of his real qualities and with that should come loyalty. The speculation is unhelpful at this time but it could be put to bed by one sentence by Mowbray.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At least we have Johnno and Dunny waiting in the wings to step in.

I wouldn’t want either- experience is crucial to whoever replaces Mowbray. However, I don’t expect him to leave.

How long is it since Mowbray had a decent season? He’s infamous for losing his way halfway through one, as people have pointed out in here before. If he gets us promoted this season, I can’t see him wanting to leave a successful squad he’s built behind so quick. 

23 hours ago, arbitro said:

Because Mowbray has done well in his time here it is easy to forget he was pretty much damaged goods when he got the job. Rovers gave him a chance to rebuild his reputation and he is taking it so far. His honesty is one of his real qualities and with that should come loyalty. The speculation is unhelpful at this time but it could be put to bed by one sentence by Mowbray.

Surely he's not going to say anything though. If the jobs still available and we don't get promoted he needs to have the option open

On 30/03/2018 at 11:06, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At least we have Johnno and Dunny waiting in the wings to step in.

Dunny!!! No thanks. Keep him where he is. Johnson? Maybe in time but let him gain more experience and work his way up. I'd like us to integrate him into the first team staff in the near future and see how it goes. 

Just now, arbitro said:

And if we don't get promoted?

Mowbray has said he deserve the sack if he doesn't get us up which is very open and honest from Mowbray. Good to see a manager being like that. 

I would keep him even if we didn't go up if it was my decision tho

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has said he deserve the sack if he doesn't get us up which is very open and honest from Mowbray. Good to see a manager being like that. 

I would keep him even if we didn't go up if it was my decision tho

Why? His sole objective this season is promotion so if we don't go up then he has failed. It will be his second failure after failing to keep us up last season. Sorry but one failure is excusable but two then he has to fall on his sword.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Why? His sole objective this season is promotion so if we don't go up then he has failed. It will be his second failure after failing to keep us up last season. Sorry but one failure is excusable but two then he has to fall on his sword.

He has bring the fans together, a team to be proud of, playing good football and some quality footballers signed. 

Plus we are 2nd at the minute so I haven't thought about us missing out on top 2. 

Ticks all the boxes for Ipswich and their owner. He'll want a safe and experienced pair of hands and one which will win back disgruntled Ipswich fans after the McCarthy 'dull football' era. Mowbray has a reputation for playing 'good football' and as a popular ex-player who knows the club would win over the fans and get tickets sold. Venus is also a popular ex-player so there's an added bonus.

Would he take it? Suppose it depends on the true nature of his job here. We don't know what it is like working for Venkys but I somehow doubt it is as professional or comfortable as working for a club like Ipswich, who might not have much money but are well run in most respects.

Sure I read somewhere that Mowbray's wife comes from Ipswich area or maybe that was Venus's wife.

But yeah Mowbray has mentioned several times how he enjoys Rovers because he's not far from Teesside where his kids are based which was an issue for him at Coventry, so it doesn't make a great deal of sense to then up sticks to Suffolk.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

He has bring the fans together, a team to be proud of, playing good football and some quality footballers signed. 

Plus we are 2nd at the minute so I haven't thought about us missing out on top 2. 

Yes but the question what if we missed out on promotion?

At the moment he is achieving his objective if the season ended now. But Dack gets injured, it maybe squeaky bum time. 

Granted he has brought the fans back together and made some good signings and good football at times. If we don't go up some fans will turn, they will question the sigings like Gladwin especially if Dack is sold. All his good work will be undone and as I said before he will have failed twice.

Archived