BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray to Ipswich?

Signings wise, yeah he has done a couple of good ones in Dack and Smallwood, but overall, how would you rate the rest? Samuel, Gladwin, Whittingham, Downing (who started well but is now third choice) - those are obviously 'actual signing's'. He has done well in loan market though i give him that.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Yes but the question what if we missed out on promotion?

At the moment he is achieving his objective if the season ended now. But Dack gets injured, it maybe squeaky bum time. 

Granted he has brought the fans back together and made some good signings and good football at times. If we don't go up some fans will turn, they will question the sigings like Gladwin especially if Dack is sold. All his good work will be undone and as I said before he will have failed twice.

I would keep him even if we dont go up. 

Nothing to see here I don't think and he'll probably get another contract extension here before long. Not sure i'd want him to leave or be sacked if we'd missed out by a point or two or lost in the lottery of the play offs. Maybe he'd deserve a month or two at the start of next season but whatever happens I think he'll leave a far better base for another to build on than he inherited.

That hasn't been the case since Allardyce was replaced by dastardly and muttley & friends.

36 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Signings wise, yeah he has done a couple of good ones in Dack and Smallwood, but overall, how would you rate the rest? Samuel, Gladwin, Whittingham, Downing (who started well but is now third choice) - those are obviously 'actual signing's'. He has done well in loan market though i give him that.

Too be fair Samuel Gladwin and Whittingham were all good signings on paper, Whittingham has been pretty poor and his legs are gone for me. Samuel has shown flashes of ability and I wouldn't write him off yet but overall quite disappointing and Gladwin looked poor but has missed most of the season. Ironically, the one of those who was a questionable signing on paper in Downing has been the best of the lot out of those 4! Bell has looked okay so far not much too say on him really yet! The loan signings as you said have been good. Chapman Antonsson Payne and Armstrong have all contributed this season. I'd have faith in Mowbray bringing the right players in if/when we go up, the main thing for now is just getting the job done. 

• Backroom

It goes without saying our best business was Dack, closely followed by keeping hold of Mulgrew and Graham. The rest of the squad has so far been good enough without being great. Other than Dack most of our permanent signings have been adequate at best, but our loan signings have been very good. 

Overall I'd say Mowbray has done a decent enough job squad building. He's done an excellent job motivating the team and reconnecting the management/playing staff with the supporters. His main weakness has been tactical application and gameplay, but that's generally been overcome thanks to Dack, Mulgrew and/or Graham. TM has also shown a knack of positively changing the game at half time and with subs, which is something we haven't seen for years. 

I think he'll be gone if we don't go up, and that would be a huge shame for both Mowbray and the club. He's as good as we're going to get under Venky's imo. 

I personally think Mowbray's place will be upstairs at Ewood before too long, if we manage to go up this season.

I also think that the potential of a first team coach/manager like Damien Johnson or Jason Wilcox will be on the cards with Mowbray as a mentor.

It's easy to criticise Mowbray, I'll be the first to admit that I have too and that I find some of his team selections and substitutions are both baffling and frustrating, however one cannot argue with his honesty and how he has turned the club around. I agree some of his signings have been shit but overall, he's been nothing but good for Blackburn Rovers. I'll be the first to admit that six months ago I would not have said that.

16 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Yes but the question what if we missed out on promotion?

At the moment he is achieving his objective if the season ended now. But Dack gets injured, it maybe squeaky bum time. 

Granted he has brought the fans back together and made some good signings and good football at times. If we don't go up some fans will turn, they will question the sigings like Gladwin especially if Dack is sold. All his good work will be undone and as I said before he will have failed twice.

Dack's been great for us. He's getting into the Tony Field , David Speedie  category of  Rovers hero's. Having said that now we've got Payne we've got a ready made temporary replacement for him waiting in the wings.

I think even without Dack - this squad would be good enough to get us up from here. We would miss his sparks of magic but Payne is also an excellent attacking midfielder though different in style. More creator than scorer.

• Backroom

Ipswich agent fees £241k, Rovers £750k. 

As I suspected, Mowbray will probably have even less to spend at Ipswich that he would here - and that squad really needs an overhaul. He's better off here.

On 02/04/2018 at 00:43, darrenrover said:

I personally think Mowbray's place will be upstairs at Ewood before too long, if we manage to go up this season.

I also think that the potential of a first team coach/manager like Damien Johnson or Jason Wilcox will be on the cards with Mowbray as a mentor.

It's easy to criticise Mowbray, I'll be the first to admit that I have too and that I find some of his team selections and substitutions are both baffling and frustrating, however one cannot argue with his honesty and how he has turned the club around. I agree some of his signings have been shit but overall, he's been nothing but good for Blackburn Rovers. I'll be the first to admit that six months ago I would not have said that.

If they wanted to go for Wilcox they probably would have while looking at another youth coach in Joyce. I tried to bring up his name considering his obvious coaching skills AND someone who cares a great deal about Rovers. Maybe he does not want to manage anyone at first team level though because I never seem to see his name linked anywhere.

I think Wilcox might have already learnt a bit from Pep G (not to mention playing for Kenny, Hodgson, Venables, etc) and Johnson like many young coaches could have potential. He just needs to drop some of that excess baggage he carries around with him. I've got no idea if Mowbray would even want to move upstairs. Its something that I would certainly consider as I've made my thoughts clear on longer term thinking. I've already said that sacking him without at least a substantial bonus would be harsh because right now he's accomplishing goals. The problem however is can he accomplish the next goal if Venkys are serious about achieving it? Its not about demanding instant promotion next season its about building blocks and there's no time for error.

never going to happen. All the facts stated above comparing us to ipswich similarities are correct. Ipswich is no club that will stick out to mowbary as a step up. We will get promoted this season and finish mid table in the championship next season. Then after that I would worry as he will probably be attracting some more ambitious championship sides.

I cant see the venkys giving him more than 5 million a season. Once an ambitous championbship club comes in he will be gone. For the next 18 months he will be with us.

1 minute ago, Vinjay17 said:

If they wanted to go for Wilcox they probably would have while looking at another youth coach in Joyce. I tried to bring up his name considering his obvious coaching skills AND someone who cares a great deal about Rovers. Maybe he does not want to manage anyone at first team level though because I never seem to see his name linked anywhere.

I think Wilcox might have already learnt a bit from Pep G (not to mention playing for Kenny, Hodgson, Venables, etc) and Johnson like many young coaches could have potential. He just needs to drop some of that excess baggage he carries around with him. I've got no idea if Mowbray would even want to move upstairs. Its something that I would certainly consider as I've made my thoughts clear on longer term thinking. I've already said that sacking him without at least a substantial bonus would be harsh because right now he's accomplishing goals. The problem however is can he accomplish the next goal if Venkys are serious about achieving it? Its not about demanding instant promotion next season its about building blocks and there's no time for error.

Mowbray is running the club Vinjay, of that make no mistake!

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The moaners are out before we even go up I see

Jesus christ, enjoy this season while the going is good. 

Plus you all may be surprised how well we do next year. Although I feel some prefer the misery 

Some people are just thinking a few steps ahead. That's all its nothing personal.

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Plus you all may be surprised how well we do next year. Although I feel some prefer the misery 

Let's certify the 75% chance of promotion and leave thoughts of future Champions League finals for the summer. ?

IF we go up then next season is as much an examination of Mowbray than it is of the team, being a former busted flush. It's far from certain that he can cut the mustard at that level. Especially when he doesn't have double the budget of everyone else.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Strange comment that Bigdog, I don't see any moaning personally.

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching my football this season, the days out particularly away and the general debate that goes with it; some positive, some negative. Some I agree with and some I don't, that's life.

I moaned about the second half on Monday, chewed my finger nails down in the last 15 minutes, shouted dogs abuse in frustration at Samuel for ballooning the ball over the bar when my missus would have scored in flip flops. I jumped for joy when Armstrong netted the second and Raya pulled off three fantastic saves but moaned at Raya when he miskicks for no reason and presents the opposition with a great opportunity. That's football and certainly is following Rovers!

We're not up yet, as you say, and I wish you could have enjoyed this season as much as we have that go often. I do appreciate your input on here from afar but on this occasion, I think your comment is wrong and uncalled for.

COYB!!

21 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Strange comment that Bigdog, I don't see any moaning personally.

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching my football this season, the days out particularly away and the general debate that goes with it; some positive, some negative. Some I agree with and some I don't, that's life.

I moaned about the second half on Monday, chewed my finger nails down in the last 15 minutes, shouted dogs abuse in frustration at Samuel for ballooning the ball over the bar when my missus would have scored in flip flops. I jumped for joy when Armstrong netted the second and Raya pulled off three fantastic saves but moaned at Raya when he miskicks for no reason and presents the opposition with a great opportunity. That's football and certainly is following Rovers!

We're not up yet, as you say, and I wish you could have enjoyed this season as much as we have that go often. I do appreciate your input on here from afar but on this occasion, I think your comment is wrong and uncalled for.

COYB!!

I didn't class you as a moaner,so my comment wasnt directed at you 

44 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Let's certify the 75% chance of promotion and leave thoughts of future Champions League finals for the summer. ?

IF we go up then next season is as much an examination of Mowbray than it is of the team, being a former busted flush. It's far from certain that he can cut the mustard at that level. Especially when he doesn't have double the budget of everyone else.

No, it's far from certain he can as I am sure we will be reminded again and again... And again over the summer. Just like the same old moaners moaned and moaned this summer, during the season and even now. It will be as if this season counted for nothing in some people's eyes. They will ignore the fact bigger clubs than us have struggled down here. They will ignore the fact Mowbray has built this team practically from scratch. They will ignore the signings he made, the football we have is payed. All be forgotten. 

Anyway, my ignore button will be used for the first time I feel. I hope it functions properly 

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, it's far from certain he can as I am sure we will be reminded again and again... And again over the summer. Just like the same old moaners moaned and moaned this summer, during the season and even now. It will be as if this season counted for nothing in some people's eyes. They will ignore the fact bigger clubs than us have struggled down here. They will ignore the fact Mowbray has built this team practically from scratch. They will ignore the signings he made, the football we have is payed. All be forgotten. 

Anyway, my ignore button will be used for the first time I feel. I hope it functions properly 

Yeah just like we were reminded time and time again that John Williams couldn't possibly preside over a relegation. Thinking a few steps ahead how can anyone do such a thing?

As for the facts they are actually your opinions. Or plain wrong especially the ridiculous "from scratch" remark. Yes other big clubs did struggle and I've been one of those who acknowledge that. FACT is though Rovers have only spent 6 years of the clubs history in this division. Also the club has had a bigger budget than practically the whole league so as far as I'm concerned we at least had the right to expect a promotion challenge. So yeah maybe its not the most illustrious of achievements and we can see through some cracks. The main one of course being owners who can't be trusted. You want to be "nice" and all that but where did that get the club? People need to be ruthless (in the right ways) and if that means sacking Mowbray so be it. People might be sarcastic and bring up ridiculous names who Rovers wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting. We aren't being ridiculous either someone with multiple promotions to the PL (or a young promising coach who might prove worth the risk)  who can be trusted more with putting the right building blocks in place. Hey though lets ignore games like Wolves last season and the tactical genius behind that.

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I didn't class you as a moaner,so my comment wasnt directed at you 

No, I didn't say you did but I don't see it as appropriate to direct such a comment at others either.

We're far from the finished article whether we get promoted or not, when we're shit as we were in the second half on Monday or when you see the team selection prior to the game on Thursday night, I'll 'moan' but I'm often wrong as 6 points over Easter vindicates.

I'd just see things as 'chewing the fat' to be honest. Is that not what message boards should be all about?

Just now, darrenrover said:

No, I didn't say you did but I don't see it as appropriate to direct such a comment at others either.

We're far from the finished article whether we get promoted or not, when we're shit as we were in the second half on Monday or when you see the team selection prior to the game on Thursday night, I'll 'moan' but I'm often wrong as 6 points over Easter vindicates.

I'd just see things as 'chewing the fat' to be honest. Is that not what message boards should be all about?

Are you not contradicting yourself a bit here?

Just as people are entitled to moan, I am entitled to say that it annoys me :) 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are you not contradicting yourself a bit here?

Just as people are entitled to moan, I am entitled to say that it annoys me :) 

I don't think so no.

You should have been down Ewood often in the past, stood in The Blackburn End, Nuttall Street Enclosure, you could really have vented your spleen on the 'moaners' then.

Archived