BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray to Ipswich?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing Ipswich could offer him that he doesn't already have here is that he might have a desire to manage them due to his and Venus' past affiliation to the club. Ipswich are certainly not a bigger or better club than Rovers, and likely will have an inferior budget to work with.

Would be a tad ironic if Mowbray chose to move down there having mentioned his young kids as a factor in not enjoying it at Coventry because they are based in the North East.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

From scratch??

At least half of our first team main picks were at Rovers last season.

Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, Conway, Graham, Bennett....any missing?

9 players from our squad of 18. If he didn't pick the right players around them, we wouldn't be were we are now. We got relegated last year in case you forgot? I would say he built this team from scratch. That includes signings and convincing others to stay 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anyway, my ignore button will be used for the first time I feel. I hope it functions properly 

7 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Wet lettuce. ??

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You should go to a Doctor about that 

Must not be functioning properly then.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The moaners are out before we even go up I see

Jesus christ, enjoy this season while the going is good. 

Plus you all may be surprised how well we do next year. Although I feel some prefer the misery 

I think the way that the fans have bought into this season suggests that the fan base is very much enjoying it.

Theres a lot of people who love to make an issue out of all of these 'negative fans,' no one loves misery, well bar the odd maniac perhaps. 

10 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Let's certify the 75% chance of promotion and leave thoughts of future Champions League finals for the summer. ?

IF we go up then next season is as much an examination of Mowbray than it is of the team, being a former busted flush. It's far from certain that he can cut the mustard at that level. Especially when he doesn't have double the budget of everyone else.

To be fair, based on points-per-game, we'd have finished mid-table if he's been here all last season. I think the way Mowbray plays suits us not being favourites to win every game like we are this season. He's more comfortable counter-attacking so having less of the ball in the Championship against better teams will suit him.

17 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

9 players from our squad of 18. If he didn't pick the right players around them, we wouldn't be were we are now. We got relegated last year in case you forgot? I would say he built this team from scratch. That includes signings and convincing others to stay 

I know we got relegated. I'm getting old, not fecking stupid!

Twist the numbers anyway you want to suit your view. I could care less.

We are going UP anyway :brfc:

11 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

To be fair, based on points-per-game, we'd have finished mid-table if he's been here all last season. I think the way Mowbray plays suits us not being favourites to win every game like we are this season. He's more comfortable counter-attacking so having less of the ball in the Championship against better teams will suit him.

Yes. Last season over the Mowbray period we were 9th in the performance/ table.

Mowbray gets mentioned for us as he's an ex-player that commands a certain amount of respect by the supporters and internals of the club alike.   That he could steer the club round and put the club  (back) on a course for something approaching success after the "ineptitude" of McCarthy is another thing.

Evans doesn't usually spend or put significant money into the club to make us competitive, so whoever comes in will continue to work with limited funds.   Getting rid of McCarthy was a huge step forward but the bigger problem in the owner (Evans), is the greatest concern.   Until he gets up and leaves, we can never again hope to achieve or get back to something approaching our previous stature. 

Alan Pardew appears to be favourite to get the job but that leaves many of the fans ill at ease.    Others names put around such as Hurst at Shrewsbury and the Lincoln manager don't do much for me, for one thing they're untried at Championship level, but a lot of the supporters see this as a very good appointment if it were to occur.

On a last point it looks as though Blackburn will be back with us in the second tier by the summer so Mowbray may decide to stay on and continue his good work or feel that the offer of a reunion at his former club may be too much to resist.

Do I want Mowbray back ?   In all honesty No.   Yes he was an admirable past player and I have respect for him as do a great many others at the club, but football is a results business and believe we'd be better equipped hiring someone else who would possesses greater experience and has proven results at the right level.   I expect a decision to be made sometime soon, but whoever it may be, you understand it won't be to the liking of everyone.  

27 minutes ago, not exactly Scarface said:

Do I want Mowbray back ?   In all honesty No.   Yes he was an admirable past player and I have respect for him as do a great many others at the club, but football is a results business and believe we'd be better equipped hiring someone else who would possesses greater experience and has proven results at the right level.   I expect a decision to be made sometime soon, but whoever it may be, you understand it won't be to the liking of everyone.  

He's won the Championship title.

Unless you mean experience of battling it out at the bottom end of the table, as I suppose that didn't go too well for him last season...

5 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

Mowbray gets mentioned for us as he's an ex-player that commands a certain amount of respect by the supporters and internals of the club alike.   That he could steer the club round and put the club  (back) on a course for something approaching success after the "ineptitude" of McCarthy is another thing.

Evans doesn't usually spend or put significant money into the club to make us competitive, so whoever comes in will continue to work with limited funds.   Getting rid of McCarthy was a huge step forward but the bigger problem in the owner (Evans), is the greatest concern.   Until he gets up and leaves, we can never again hope to achieve or get back to something approaching our previous stature. 

Alan Pardew appears to be favourite to get the job but that leaves many of the fans ill at ease.    Others names put around such as Hurst at Shrewsbury and the Lincoln manager don't do much for me, for one thing they're untried at Championship level, but a lot of the supporters see this as a very good appointment if it were to occur.

On a last point it looks as though Blackburn will be back with us in the second tier by the summer so Mowbray may decide to stay on and continue his good work or feel that the offer of a reunion at his former club may be too much to resist.

Can I ask why getting McCarthy is a huge step forward? also Can you tell what McCarthy style of play and tactics have been since being there in your opinion? has he been manager who play long ball football or has he try to get you to play passing style? IMO, When I seen you played in the games we played against you or on tv it seems very direct style? is this correct? 

would someone like Warburton or McClaren appeal to the fans? 

57 minutes ago, not exactly Scarface said:

Like Mick McCarthy ?:unsure:

1 hour ago, not exactly Scarface said:

I honestly think you’ve made a big mistake letting him go. It reminds me of when we had both Allardyce and Bowyer. Both were working wonders with limited funds, but because we weren’t doing anything spectacular, they both got shown the door. 

I wanted both gone if I’m honest, as did some on here- Allardyce because I was sick of the negative play, and Bowyer because he’d blown the play-offs with arguably the best strike force in the league, at that time.  We had Tom Cairney and one or two others (Marshall and King) weren’t exactly rubbish either. 

1 hour ago, not exactly Scarface said:

.   Getting rid of McCarthy was a huge step forward

I hope for your sake that your "huge step forward" in getting rid of McCarthy doesn't result in you taking a huge step backwards by going down. Football is littered with clubs who have sacked managers because they haven't brought  "success" when "success" in alot of cases is staying at a certain level. For example, Charlton fans forced out Curbishley years  ago because they weren't happy finishing in the top 10 of the Premier League and wanted to be challenging the top 6  - and look where they are now. 

Rovers made the mistake of getting rid of a safe pair of hands in Sam Allardyce. If you're heading for the third division this time next year you'll regret the day you saw the back of Mick McCarthy. 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I hope for your sake that your "huge step forward" in getting rid of McCarthy doesn't result in you taking a huge step backwards by going down. Football is littered with clubs who have sacked managers because they haven't brought  "success" when "success" in alot of cases is staying at a certain level. For example, Charlton fans forced out Curbishley years  ago because they weren't happy finishing in the top 10 of the Premier League and wanted to be challenging the top 6  - and look where they are now. 

Rovers made the mistake of getting rid of a safe pair of hands in Sam Allardyce. If you're heading for the third division this time next year you'll regret the day you saw the back of Mick McCarthy. 

Thats why CEO and chairman get paid lots of money to make these decision. 

Lets not forget that Sam Allardyce wanted to leave the previous summer for a job in the middle east(his own autobiography) 

If Rovers would appoint a better replacement than Kean like Bilic or Benitez then we wouldnt be were we are now in my opinion. But they didnt. 

McCarthy has been there 6 years now and best they depart. Fans are fed up of him and looks the same way. Maybe he end up at Barnsley next season in league 1. 

It depends who Ipswich appoint. I think it be McClaren or Warburton. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

If Rovers would appoint a better replacement than Kean like Bilic or Benitez then we wouldnt be were we are now in my opinion. But they didnt. 

Clubs like Rovers and Ipswich are one bad appointment away from disaster - as has been pointed out many times, and happened to us from 2008 onwards. It makes no sense to get rid of a good, safe manager in the  hope that someone else with an exotic name might be better. In the majority of cases, they won't. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Clubs like Rovers and Ipswich are one bad appointment away from disaster - as has been pointed out many times, and happened to us from 2008 onwards. It makes no sense to get rid of a good, safe manager in the  hope that someone else with an exotic name might be better. In the majority of cases, they won't. 

Huddersfield took a risk in appointing Wanger and sacking Powell that result in promotion to the Premier League..

So it can work out Jim..

Its down to the owner/Chairman/board to pick the right man for what they want. 

Maybe Ipswich will make good appointment we just have to see wont we

To be fair, McCarthy himself sounds like he's had enough of trying to keep Ipswich competitive on buttons, so for once it may actually be 'mutal consent'.

Though, how on Earth, McClaren, who flopped at clubs with some of the biggest budgets in the league is going to cope on an Ipswich budget is beyond me.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Huddersfield took a risk in appointing Wanger and sacking Powell that result in promotion to the Premier League..

So it can work out Jim..

Wagner was recommended to Huddersfield by Jurgen Klopp. Huddersfield also have a local owner and big Terriers fan worth hundreds of millions of pounds who is bankrolling the club. Ipswich don't have such a luxury and we're over £100m in debt. The likes of Huddersfield and Wagner are the exceptions that prove the rule.  

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Wagner was recommended to Huddersfield by Jurgen Klopp. Huddersfield also have a local owner and big Terriers fan worth hundreds of millions of pounds who is bankrolling the club. Ipswich don't have such a luxury and we're over £100m in debt. The likes of Huddersfield and Wagner are the exceptions that prove the rule.  

Ipswich owner Marcus Evans is worth over 765 million pounds

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/with-marcus-evans-worth-765million-more-than-sir-paul-mccartney-is-it-time-for-more-investment-in-ipswich-town-1-4505161

So Ipswich do have wealthy owner. 

Our debt is to the owner not to the bank. Plus they keep funding us. Why they do and stay here as owners I dont know. 

Plus I knew you would have excuse for Huddersfield success just to prove your points

Archived