BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray to Ipswich?

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You going to answer my question- how do you know what I voted? 

Secondly, what does how I voted have to do with my initial post? 

Don'y try and be a smart alec and then go hiding little boy :) 

I have him on ignore maybe try it after he answers your very simple questions. Doubt he will. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Crimpshrine said:

I was talking to a West Brom fan yesterday and he said, given the current list of candidates for the next WBA manager, he would love Mowbray to return.

And he remined me of this: 

mogga.jpg

That was at Ewood on “Tugay day” wasn’t it?”

I seem to remember Roberts being sent off with out touching the ball and watching the Bay City Rollers with some baggies at Darwen festival after the game! 

That was the final day of the season when the club did cheap tickets and filled the Darwen End lower with home fans with WBA fans upstairs. The result of that was 28,300 on Ewood for a dead rubber game against an already relegated Albion.

32 minutes ago, Biz said:

That was at Ewood on “Tugay day” wasn’t it?”

I seem to remember Roberts being sent off with out touching the ball and watching the Bay City Rollers with some baggies at Darwen festival after the game! 

Indeed it was. I remember quite a large Turkish contingent in the Blackburn End too

Seems crazy how back then 24k ish home fans could be enticed out mostly to pay tribute to a legend but now after nearly 8 years of Venkys we can't get 14k regularly despite topping a division :huh:

What a great day that was though a fitting send off to the maestro and one never to be forgotten.

3 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I was talking to a West Brom fan yesterday and he said, given the current list of candidates for the next WBA manager, he would love Mowbray to return.

And he remined me of this: 

mogga.jpg

Appleton is the favourite by all accounts, so I'm not surprise he wants Mowbray!

Local press haven't even mentioned Mowbray to my knowledge, but the candidate list is very poor, Pearson being the standout.  

Around 19k of that 24k were season ticket holders, many of whom will have jacked it in in 2012 and won't have been back since.

The 5k or so walk-ons can always be roused for a big game - Wigan this season as example. It is the vast drop in ST holders that ensure our crowds don't rise too far at the moment.

Get ST sales up, crowds rise accordingly. 

On 4/6/2018 at 05:08, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did I,  How do you know that? 

Sorry for late reply as been away but on the first page of that thread, you wrote:

"We are currently closer to the bottom 3 than the top 2. Not good enough. Wigan have a new manager and players ,so that's not an excuse. Twist" 

On 4/6/2018 at 20:02, chaddyrovers said:

I have him on ignore maybe try it after he answers your very simple questions. Doubt he will. 

You have half the board on ignore - which says more about you than anyone else.

West Brom, Ipswich, and those are just the two we know of before the summer. There most likely will be Southampton and Stoke and that's before investigating who might be leaving from current championship clubs.

Whilst TM isn't a managerial genius, he's doing pretty well this season after a terrible start and is most likely a lot, lot better than anyone else Venkys would recruit. A managerial change this summer could really undo the positives of this season.  Although that's assuming a. he wouldn't chose to stay and b. that other clubs would want him. There seem to have been a lot of strange managerial recruitment decisions this year so it's far from a given he'd be off.

Just now, Blue blood said:

West Brom, Ipswich, and those are just the two we know of before the summer. There most likely will be Southampton and Stoke and that's before investigating who might be leaving from current championship clubs.

Whilst TM isn't a managerial genius, he's doing pretty well this season after a terrible start and is most likely a lot, lot better than anyone else Venkys would recruit. A managerial change this summer could really undo the positives of this season.  Although that's assuming a. he wouldn't chose to stay and b. that other clubs would want him. There seem to have been a lot of strange managerial recruitment decisions this year so it's far from a given he'd be off.

If he gets us up then I would question his motives if he decided to upsticks and move to a league rival such as WBA, Ipswich etc. If he did I'd be annoyed at him but he'd also leave with my gratitude for getting the job done this season and I'd be confident there were plenty of other fish in the sea for a newly promoted Championship club. Whether the Venky/Pasha/Waggott/Cheston group could pick one is another question.

If he doesn't get us up then I wouldn't be bothered if he departed, but the flip side is whether an Ipswich or West Brom would be interested.

I think some overestimate the job that has been done and underestimate just how difficult this summer is going to be if we don't go up. We won't have much of a squad left. Promotion saves us insofar as your Lenihans, Mulgews, Dacks, Grahams and even Armstrongs could all be persuaded to stay on, whilst it is abundantly obvious they won't if we stay at this level and better alternatives will not be sourced.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If he gets us up then I would question his motives if he decided to upsticks and move to a league rival such as WBA, Ipswich etc. If he did I'd be annoyed at him but he'd also leave with my gratitude for getting the job done this season and I'd be confident there were plenty of other fish in the sea for a newly promoted Championship club. Whether the Venky/Pasha/Waggott/Cheston group could pick one is another question.

If he doesn't get us up then I wouldn't be bothered if he departed, but the flip side is whether an Ipswich or West Brom would be interested.

I think some overestimate the job that has been done and underestimate just how difficult this summer is going to be if we don't go up. We won't have much of a squad left. Promotion saves us insofar as your Lenihans, Mulgews, Dacks, Grahams and even Armstrongs could all be persuaded to stay on, whilst it is abundantly obvious they won't if we stay at this level and better alternatives will not be sourced.

Harsh. We were in a mess when he arrived and many big clubs have struggled in League 1. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Spot on, ironically if he doesn't get us up, which makes him less of an attractive option for us and less of a loss, then he's less likely to go. If he does get us up, he's more likely to get offered another role.

Agree another year at this level could kill us, we've a lot less chances/goodwill than Sheff Utd had for example. Worth remembering that this is promotion or bust - again.

Big problem with TM going is that I completely don't trust our owners to get it right. They've so far appointed 2 car crashes, someone they can't get on with and a complete novice, who ultimately wasn't good enough for the job in hand. That's not a good return ratio! Even TM wasn't quite good enough for his first task of keeping us up. They've not had an out and out successful appointment yet, and even managers with ok pedigree/results away from our club are given working conditions that set them up to fail. Any managerial change most likely would make things worse not better.

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Harsh. We were in a mess when he arrived and many big clubs have struggled in League 1. 

It wasn't meant to be a criticism of Mowbray, I think he's done as much as could ever have been expected of him in terms of recruitment and steadying the ship after relegation, albeit he has had the ear of the owners which helps whatever club you are at. I was more referring to the talk about the squad he has assembled, and 'building' for the future when the way I look at it everything has been done with the focus on promotion this season - perfectly right of course but the consequences of not getting up won't be evolution but will highly likely be revolution with players leaving and arriving en masse.

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It wasn't meant to be a criticism of Mowbray, I think he's done as much as could ever have been expected of him in terms of recruitment and steadying the ship after relegation, albeit he has had the ear of the owners which helps whatever club you are at. I was more referring to the talk about the squad he has assembled, and 'building' for the future when the way I look at it everything has been done with the focus on promotion this season - perfectly right of course but the consequences of not getting up won't be evolution but will highly likely be revolution with players leaving and arriving en masse.

Fair enough. Not going up doesn't bear thinking  about 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Spot on, ironically if he doesn't get us up, which makes him less of an attractive option for us and less of a loss, then he's less likely to go. If he does get us up, he's more likely to get offered another role.

Agree another year at this level could kill us, we've a lot less chances/goodwill than Sheff Utd had for example. Worth remembering that this is promotion or bust - again.

Big problem with TM going is that I completely don't trust our owners to get it right. They've so far appointed 2 car crashes, someone they can't get on with and a complete novice, who ultimately wasn't good enough for the job in hand. That's not a good return ratio! Even TM wasn't quite good enough for his first task of keeping us up. They've not had an out and out successful appointment yet, and even managers with ok pedigree/results away from our club are given working conditions that set them up to fail. Any managerial change most likely would make things worse not better.

I agree with a lot of that, but do think he had very little chance of keeping us up last year. The damage was done and for him to turn it around and come within one goal of saving us, was truly remarkable. Ironically enough, the points we gained last year, would save us easily this year, as I reckon 45 will be enough and we had 51.

On 09/04/2018 at 15:33, Crimpshrine said:

Indeed it was. I remember quite a large Turkish contingent in the Blackburn End too

What a day that was. Seems a lifetime ago that trips to Ewood were that pleasurable.

Things are on the up but home games still have a dull atmosphere. Away days have improved though.

• Backroom

I thought it was interesting that post match last night Mowbray said he's looking forward to Ewood bouncing for many years to come. Doesn't sound like he's thinking about going anywhere. 

3 hours ago, DE. said:

I thought it was interesting that post match last night Mowbray said he's looking forward to Ewood bouncing for many years to come. Doesn't sound like he's thinking about going anywhere. 

I agree he always mention the fans every match. 

I don't think he going anywhere

Its a rare commoditity in football and the reality is we just dont know. But TM strikes me as a loyal honourable man. I cant see him walking away from these players when they have risen to everything he has asked of them this season.

You can see the bond and togetherness of this squad and he is the absolute conrerstone of that.

Everyone can improve and as a manger we can all points to things he can maybe do better, but as a man he seems a real top guy

On 4/17/2018 at 15:05, lraC said:

I agree with a lot of that, but do think he had very little chance of keeping us up last year. The damage was done and for him to turn it around and come within one goal of saving us, was truly remarkable. Ironically enough, the points we gained last year, would save us easily this year, as I reckon 45 will be enough and we had 51.

Yep..

I have even caught myself wondering (wash my mouth with dettol) whether there might have been some benefit in having this year in Div 1.

Archived