BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ray (Butch)Wilkins

Great player, of course, but I’ve always had a real soft spot for him since our 2001 promotion.

We seemed to be live on Sky every other week and he was always the pundit for our games.

He used to wax lyrical about Dunn, Duff, Jansen et al.

32 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Wipshire, that was it!

Always came across as a decent bloke on the commentaries. Remember him with James Richardson doing Football Italia way back when. Loved that programme!

I remember the way he was looking at Steve Kean, as he was bullshitting to an interviewer. I knew that Ray knew!

When I was on teaching practice back in the late 70s the girls were all mad keen on him. He was the first of the new breed of modern footballers - long hair (I know! ) and a swagger that the girls loved. I know George Best did it 10 years before but Wilkins was the forerunner of today's modern breed

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Whats wrong with him?  The OP was a bit short on detail....

Heard something but not enough to confirm it all ,hence just the quick from what i have heard .

Without all the info i didn't want to say to much

• Backroom
43 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I remember the way he was looking at Steve Kean, as he was bullshitting to an interviewer. I knew that Ray knew!

Wilkins, Hoddle and Neville ripped into Kean after our dismal 2-0 defeat at Spurs. It was nice for cathartic reasons even though it changed nothing. 

I didn't realise Wilkins was only 61. Hope he gets through it, although it doesn't sound good.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I'll never forget the look on his face after Sky cut to the studio following Kean's post match interview. A cross between bewilderment and complete shock!!

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s critical.

Heart attack, plus had a bad fall in the midst of it.

Gone into Rovers folklore, still here it now when we are linked to a decent player:

’heard he’s buying a house up Wilpshire’

Not a heart attack but a cardiac arrest. The former is a circulatory problem, the latter an electrical issue

• Backroom
1 hour ago, LDRover said:

I'll never forget the look on his face after Sky cut to the studio following Kean's post match interview. A cross between bewilderment and complete shock!!

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Wilkins, Hoddle and Neville ripped into Kean after our dismal 2-0 defeat at Spurs. It was nice for cathartic reasons even though it changed nothing. 

I didn't realise Wilkins was only 61. Hope he gets through it, although it doesn't sound good.

Anyone have this footage? I don't remember it!

Don't think I ever saw him play in the flesh but plenty times on TV, good player and decent pundit seemed a very down to earth nice fella.

I wonder if he was ever aware of the Wilpshire house decades long rumour ?  Hope he was and I hope it made him laugh.

RIP

Archived