BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ray (Butch)Wilkins

Sad day, lucky enough to have met Ray 'Butch' Wilkins on a Charity golf day a few years ago.

Apart from being a quality footballer he was a true gentleman and always had time for everybody no matter who you were.

RIP 'Butch'

I don't see why Wilkins is getting a minutes applause tomorrow at numerous grounds in contrast to some of those who don't. Presumably its an EFL/Premier League mandate. I had nothing against him and he's more associated with Chelsea than United but I can't help wondering if that's why the FA want it. George Best got a tribute despite being an abusive drunk and a bad advert for transplant donors. When Leeds fans booed Busby's silence they were wrong but some of them were making a misguided point. Don Revie didn't get one (and no doubt the FA had a grudge there) though it could be because a lot of people thought he was a bent crook. Still it does seem like they pick and choose who gets what. Some ex Rovers players who have died don't even get a mention never mind a minutes silence. Ronnie Clayton didn't get a tribute at other grounds despite captaining England and neither did Jack Walker. I just think starting from tomorrow (or tonight assuming the Championship fixture this evening has one) they should do it for more people. Not just selective cases for those who have a media profile and whomever the FA likes most. Either that or reserve it for a select privileged few as many feel minutes silence/applause have been watered down anyway.

OK I see Cyrille Regis recently got one at Premier League grounds (though he did have a MBE) so probably should discount some of the remarks above.

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

OK I see Cyrille Regis recently got one at Premier League grounds (though he did have a MBE) so probably should discount some of the remarks above.

As ever all of them have been discounted.

17 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

I don't see why Wilkins is getting a minutes applause tomorrow at numerous grounds in contrast to some of those who don't. Presumably its an EFL/Premier League mandate. I had nothing against him and he's more associated with Chelsea than United but I can't help wondering if that's why the FA want it. 

He was captain of England.

That said, Ronnie Clayton’s passing going unmarked by the FA was a disgrace and to me that is the only valid point you make in the whole of your post.

20 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He was captain of England.

That said, Ronnie Clayton’s passing going unmarked by the FA was a disgrace and to me hat is the only valid point you make in the whole of your post.

Its far from the only valid point. What I said about Jack was valid and some of their past selective decisions. Obviously I pointed out Regis and noted he wasn't associated with United. When you see how many people associated with United get knighthoods, etc you can't blame for me for seeing possible bias there. Look at Kenny Dalglish he hasn't been given one yet and he had to deal with the Hillsborough fallout, etc and in a way that strengthened the bond. As we know (thanks to his rather disrespectful comments about Jack in his autobiography and needlessly revealing he tried to leave in 1994) that's the fanbase he's bonded with most. Moreso than Celtic as well. I know some have questioned Jack not receiving a knighthood. I read somewhere he was offered one (before buying Rovers actually) but he was looking out for his Brother (something Fred never did :rolleyes:) and wanted him to get one as well. 

Personally I wouldn't want a knighthood anyway not that I'm in any position to be considered. Goes against my Republican beliefs but others may well appreciate one. I imagine Dalglish would accept and not for egotistical reasons like other managers.

Archived