BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

Well a hard won 3 points at MK Dons. Next Saturday will see us put more pressure on Shrewsbury if we beat Southend. Hopefully Lenighan will be back. My team -

Raya

Bennett     Lenighan   Mulgrew  Williams

Smallwood   Evans

Armstrong    Dack    Payne

Graham

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
32 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Have the club said how long Nyambe is out?

Think they said he could possibly be back for the last week or two but I wouldn’t be surprised not to see him this season 

Another massive game - scrappy 1-0 will do just fine; a rampant 5-0 even more welcome, either way just end the game 4 points ahead of the Shrewboys

They are all big games now, but these next 2 are huge. If we can manage 6 points, then the pressure is really on the shrews who have 2 tricky games.

Just need to win this game in hand and give ourselves a get out of jail free card

Last time I saw Southend at Ewood Brett Angell was scoring for fun, we drew 2-2, Angell scored in front on 14k, Speedie/Sellers for Rovers.

Im going for the same gate with a Rovers win 3-1

We lost at home to Wolves and Leicester (Kevin Rooster Russel)  in the run in and went up in the playoffs. 

Great season.

• Paul pinned this topic
3 hours ago, dallydally said:

Well a hard won 3 points at MK Dons. Next Saturday will see us put more pressure on Shrewsbury if we beat Southend. Hopefully Lenighan will be back. My team -

Raya

Smallwood   Evans

Graham

That'd be my starting line up.

First time I saw Southend it was on a Preston supporting mates 18th and he dragged us to Weepdale before a night around the town. It was a grim 0-0 affair we stood on a side enclosure near the away end with about 15 in it.  Sand blew in face all afternoon off the plastic pitch and I almost couldn't see by the end, the crowd was a whopping 3 thousand or so I think, North End v Southend lol it wasn't one for the cameras.

I'd more or less forgotten about them after that until we encountered them early this season and they looked a tasty little outfit who over powered Rovers without much fuss in a welcome to our division baptism.

I'll go a miserable 0-0 again mainly because when I predict a draw we play well and win ;)

Rovers 0   Southend  0

Tough game I think this, but after the journey I made down there at the start of this season, I’d love to absolutely hammer them. That was one horrible afternoon, shortly to be followed by the Doncaster defeat..... 

5 hours ago, dallydally said:

Raya

Smallwood   Evans

Graham

On the face of it our best team, but after the Blackpool game and subsequent matches, I like Payne much better as an impact sub.

Not been overly impressed by Antonsson since his return, but I'd probably start him here.

The way we are playing it would be astonishing not to score.

Comes down to the returning Lenihan together with Mulgrew to keep it tight at the back.

Let's get that win in the bag and make Shrewsbury's job look those 3 points more daunting.

The thing with our squad is we always seem to have at least 1 attacker really step up and do damage to the opposition. If someday they all play to their ability ,we will put 5 to 6 on the opposition. When you look at where we are in the league, it surprising we haven't already. Whats our biggest win, 4-1 V MK Dons? 

48 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The thing with our squad is we always seem to have at least 1 attacker really step up and do damage to the opposition. If someday they all play to their ability ,we will put 5 to 6 on the opposition. When you look at where we are in the league, it surprising we haven't already. Whats our biggest win, 4-1 V MK Dons? 

Mowbray made the point after the MK game yesterday that 'we don't blow teams off the park every week' as he put it in the article. We aren't that kind of team really. The MK Dons at home game we were hanging on at 2-1 until Chapman came on and blew them away.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/16132643.Tony_Mowbray_reacts_to_Rovers__win_at_MK_Dons_as_Adam_Armstrong_scores_twice/?ref=mac

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray made the point after the MK game yesterday that 'we don't blow teams off the park every week' as he put it in the article. We aren't that kind of team really. The MK Dons at home game we were hanging on at 2-1 until Chapman came on and blew them away.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/16132643.Tony_Mowbray_reacts_to_Rovers__win_at_MK_Dons_as_Adam_Armstrong_scores_twice/?ref=mac

Neither do shrewsbury I suppose. 

Wigan have done it in a few games. All the one if we manage to finish ahead of them, which I am starting to believe we will 

Every game is a potential banana skin. With the exceptions of Charlton and Peterborough all the sides we have left are mid-table/bottom half going nowhere sides - Southend, Donny, Gillingham, Bristol Rovers - I suppose Bristol Rovers might throw themselves into unlikely play-off contention with a strong run and Oxford are looking over their shoulders but should be safe by the time we play them. All those games are potentially banana skins as none have any real pressure on them for the rest of the season and can approach their games against us as 'free hits'.

Southend's away form is woeful. 11 away defeats and 3 wins. Banana skin indeed but we should have enough.

Thought this might be an easier game at home versus a team with not much to play for, however according to the form guide they have only lost 1 of the last 6 (drawn 3, won 2 and lost 1) so perhaps not as simple. 

I can see another solid 2-0 home win. Armstrong and Graham. 

Still think there will be twists and turns. Ourselves, Shrewsbury and Wigan wont win all the remaining games. Cant believe its still so tight at the top. 

• Backroom

Speaking of the opening day of the season, this was our line up:

image.png.12d4fab1023d2610ee7ed3f788c58aa3.png

Lenihan is touch and go by the sounds of it, other changes will likely be Nyambe > Bennett, Samuel > Antonsson (assume Samuel was playing on the wing for this one?), Whittingham > Evans.  

Archived