BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

I think i'm right in saying when Antonsson plays we tend to win so that's all that matters really at the end of the day. I'd prefer something a little stronger in that position next season if possible though.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from running around alot (to no effect) because of his relative youth, I can't see what Antonsson offers that Conway does not.  Conway is a good old-fashioned Scottish footballer with close skills and the ability to beat a man and cross the ball while Antonsson does none of those things.  I might bring Antonsson on late in the game to run at tiring defences but I cannot see on form or ability why he should start instead of Conway in that left-side attacking position. 

• Backroom

Conway can cross a ball and a decent finisher but the problem for me is if he gets the ball around half way then we end up losing momentum and going back.

His legs just don’t work as fast as his brain these days and as a result he slows things too much.

Antonsson isn’t a perfect option either mind you 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think at the moment we are winning in spite of Antonnson not because of him.

In spite? Come on, that's a bit over the top 

He runs all day and keeps defenders busy. Conway is technically good on the ball, but he doesn't have the pace to start in my opinion. He is the better option off the bench

22 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Blackburn 4 MK Dons 1

Rochdale 0 Blackburn 3

Blackburn 3 Portsmouth 0

Blackburn 3 Barnet 1

Bury 0 Blackburn 3

Oxford 2 Blackburn 4

Blackpool 2 Blackburn 4

Blackburn 3 Shrewsbury 1

Blackburn 3 Walsall 1

Wimbledon 0 Blackburn 3

Blackburn 3 Blackpool 0

Which one is the exception that proves the rule?? :lol:

OK I'm busted.

• Backroom

Probably because we've drawn 2-2 four times this season, against Fleetwood, Scunthorpe, Oldham and Wigan. All at Ewood Park. In three of those four we were ahead before being pegged back. Oddly the only match where we were the ones doing the pegging back was Oldham where we were inexplicably 2-0 down at half time.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Conway can cross a ball and a decent finisher but the problem for me is if he gets the ball around half way then we end up losing momentum and going back.

His legs just don’t work as fast as his brain these days and as a result he slows things too much.

Antonsson isn’t a perfect option either mind you 

Can he cross a decent ball though?

I think Conway is another one of those Rovers players, whose reputation grows, the more he doesn't play..Discuss...

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Apart from running around alot (to no effect) because of his relative youth, I can't see what Antonsson offers that Conway does not.  Conway is a good old-fashioned Scottish footballer with close skills and the ability to beat a man and cross the ball while Antonsson does none of those things.  I might bring Antonsson on late in the game to run at tiring defences but I cannot see on form or ability why he should start instead of Conway in that left-side attacking position. 

Antonsson bring goals from the left wing

15 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I think Conway is another one of those Rovers players, whose reputation grows, the more he doesn't play..Discuss...

Not for me but he is one of several poor square pegs to try to shoehorn into that particular round hole as a consequence of a lack of square ones that could potentially fit!

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I'd say Conways legs have gone. He can't play a full match so he's the one that needs binning 

8 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I think he can put in a decent cross if he gets there!!!

I’m not so sure about your second point.  I’ve never been much of a Conway fan but I’m always pleased to see him come on as substitute. I think there is a better chance of seeing a fighting performance from him than, for example, Antonsson. 

Conway’s problem is his legs probably have gone and he can’t complete 90 minutes. Remember the surging run from midfield earlier this season to score? That’s the sort of gut busting he can still give. 

Definetley worth his place on the bench. 

We don't really play in a way that suits Conway's game anymore. His assists record under Bowyer was excellent because he had Rudy and Rhodes to aim for who were always in the box. Now we have runners breaking from midfield on to through balls, and the likes of Dack and Armstrong are unlikely to win many headers.

Regardless, Conway has been superb for this football club and Rudy owes him his career. It's astonishing any Rovers fan would not see him as anything other than a huge success. Good player with a great attitude.

If we are to use conway and antonsson, then their roles need switching.

Conway needs to start when its a high energy game and his workrate and aggression can be used.

Antonsson if he has to play would be better suited coming on a sub when the game is possibly more streched and he can use his pace a bit more

16 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Your description of Conway is a few years old. He's useful now late on as a defensive winger but doesn't offer a lot else.

Conway had been a good player for Rovers but he's past it now. He's lost what made him effective. He can't get up and down like he used to, he was never quick but now he looks slow. His crossing is appalling. He never had that great technical ability. Antonnsson covers more ground, is quicker, can occasionally beat a man and early in the season chipped in with a lot of goals.

I'm not advocating starting Antonsson again on Saturday but Conway isn't the answer.

Archived