BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

Strap yourself in, it's going to be a bumpy.

That was arguably in the worst three home performances of the season but the result, without a shadow of a doubt was the most important thing and the relief at the end was there for us all to see.

Defensively we were ok but our midfield was dominated by the visitors and we didn't show too much in attack. The strength of Raya was there for all to see today. His reflexes are up there with the best and his double save at the end might be folklore in years to come. One real area of concern was how Evans and Smallwood were blowing out of the orifices with twenty minutes to go. We desperately need the legs of Bennett in there and if Nyambe isn't fit then Travis in to play right full back.

We need to lick our wounds and get to the next game at Gillingham where I think the way we play will be better suited to get a result.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

I could see you lot playing in the Championship, in the next few years. Powell is a good manager, who I think will have you lot challenging at the right end of the table, next season.

That gap between us and Shrewsbury is a lovely sight, with the same number of games played. I just wonder if we’ve got enough to win the league. We looked bang average those last 20 minutes.

It's certainly possible for us to be challenging next season, but nothing is ever that easy with Southend. 

For what it's worth, you may have looked bang average, (obviously I wasn't there, so can only go on reports) but you still got the job done, which is a sign of champions. I fancy Wigan to slip up at some point, whereas you's just look unstoppable, even on a bad day

Samuel was far more effective than Antonsson by the way.

Not many vintage performances but Bennett was simply phenomenal.

If Jack Payne tries an overhead kick on the edge of our box again he needs a kick in the dick 

Spot on! lol

Dont write here much, but felt exactly the same way.  the boy Payne has some talent but makes my blood boil! His effort levels are mind boggling, sometimes it looks like he cant be arsed to go the extra effot for some balls. where as Armstrong another loanee runs his bollocks off!

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It can't be said we aren't due a bit of luck. Sounds like de Raya pulled off another wordly. How much better than Steele is that cat?? 

Infinitely. Tremendous keeper imo and that's the second game in succession He's won us the points with tremendous stops.

Although I'm sure someone will be along in a minute complaining he miscues a kick out at some point.

23 minutes ago, Shrimper said:

It just goes to show how tough this league is. We're mid-table, but by all accounts put up a decent show. 

You's were always gunna be too good for this league though, and quite rightly deserve automatic promotion 

It helped you that Payne still thought he was playing for you;)

You played well today. You're a big side and we struggled to cope with your physicality at times. You closed the space in midfield and without Dack we were toothless. We'd have lost that early season.

First time I've seen police at Mill Hill station before a game for a long time. Seems you have some hoolies amongst your support. A few were getting spoken to outside the ground after.

Anyway, good luck for next season. A couple of additions and Powell staying as manager and there's no reason why that team won't be near the top end.

• Backroom
38 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Disagree. I barely even recall him touching the ball! At least Antonsson was a bit of an outlet. Can’t believe Samuel is 3 years younger than him - doesn’t run like he does.

Anywho, that’s a massive three points today. Really really struggling to see teams off (compare and contrast Wigan - again). Such a stressful afternoon and not a bit enjoyable at any point.

2 home games and 4 away left. Probably good news for us as I think we play better away.

Good to see the right player awarded a penalty rather than just the goal scorer. Bennett is our engine at the moment.

Just thought Samuel held the ball and used it effectively a couple of times out wide, Antonsson has pace but is just too weak 

Well, that was hell! One moment of class with a great ball by Armstrong, an even better cross by Conway and a poachers finish from Dan the Man. Looking forward to seeing the scramble at the other end again and the penalty shout. Think we may have rode our luck there but we got absolutely none at the end of last season so give a shit!

Bennett was superb, won every tackle and gave Kightly nothing. He's wasted at full back though, how we missed his energy further forward. Thought Downing was excellent too 2nd half when we were up against it. Not sure what happened with the handbags after the penalty shout? Downing looked incensed.

The bloke behind me offered his heart pills to a young girl near me pacing up and down the row of seats! It was that kind of game.

Brilliant result.

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Was there some trouble outside the ground again?..happened more than a few times this season.

On Bolton Road there were a few Southend fans surrounded by Police. Think the police were expecting trouble considering they were at Mill Hill station before the game.

Just now, @roverseas said:

Spot on! lol

Dont write here much, but felt exactly the same way.  the boy Payne has some talent but makes my blood boil! His effort levels are mind boggling, sometimes it looks like he cant be arsed to go the extra effot for some balls. where as Armstrong another loanee runs his bollocks off!

Completely disagree, I thought we were shocking today and that only Payne and Bennett showed the sort of urgency and work rate that was befitting of such an important occasion.

I thought Conway and Graham were both really poor, but the former pulled out a worldie of a cross to provide Graham with a chance he couldn't miss. Probably a good job as he'd already squandered two great chances. But between them they produced one moment of magic and occasionally that's all you need.

Bennett thoroughly deserved his MOM award. He's looked a completely different player since he was initially moved into central midfield and has even done well subsequently filling in elsewhere. Perhaps he was low on confidence when he was on the wing and not taking any responsibility in the first half of the sea so.

As mentioned above fabulous work from Raya at the end. A top class keeper in the making  if he can knock off one or two rough edges.

Only a maximum of 5 wins needed and 4 points clear of the Shrews. Despite that hope Dack's injury isn't too bad as we Don't look all that without him.

The one overriding factor for me was the work rate put in by all the Rovers players when we lost the ball. Southend found themselves under tremendous pressure whenever they gained possession. Rovers desire to win the ball back immediately - obviously coached into them - was the rock on which this game was won. Without that, Southend wouldn’t have found this game anywhere near as difficult as they did. Credit to Southend though, they stuck at it and almost got rewarded. For Rovers, this approach, if they can maintain it, should see us through.

Wot, none of the usual moaning about the ref today? LOL. Re the penalty at the end –that’s the type of luck you need if you are going to win a league.

But well done lads, that’s exactly the type of ugly win that gets you to the top. Bennet excellent (most good things start come with him-even in a poor first half), so too was Downing and Evans battling to the end. Well done Raya. Antonssen and Samuel add nothing, especially in that kind of situation. Nice move for the goal too-really liked the awareness of the little cut back from Bennett for Conway to cross deep. Dack is badly missed.

Just on the first half –think some of the comments about us being poor are a bit harsh. Very difficult pitch to get the ball down and play against a big, strong, fit and well organised side. It was obviously going to be a long, difficult afternoon, particularly for players like Dack and Payne. Agree about Payne’s ahem, overhead kick but he did show some good game management late on when he took the ball into the corner.

21 minutes ago, Toto1504 said:

Obviously not a great performance today but 3 points matter more than anything at this stage of the season.How did my nephew play today? One of his quieter games since His loan from Newcastle. Onwards and upwards. 

He didn't really get a decent ball all game. Played a part in the goal though with a fantastic cross field ball for Conway to cross in.

When Graham went off they should have just put balls over the top into the big areas of space for him to run on to. He was twice as quick as their centre backs. Alas even that was beyond us today. I hope he signs for us again if we go up.

Come on you Blues, very nervy performance with finger nail biting last 10 minutes.

We ended the game with a very weak tackling team and we nearly paid for it.

Still, we won and that's what counts, well done TM and players.

27 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bennett was superb, won every tackle and gave Kightly nothing. He's wasted at full back though, how we missed his energy further forward. Thought Downing was excellent too 2nd half when we were up against it. Not sure what happened with the handbags after the penalty shout? Downing looked incensed.

Agreed, Bennett been one of our best players this season. Up there with Mulgrew and Dack  imo. 

Great win and makes a great saturday.

Downing showed more heart and desire in those 30 second than Samuel has showed all season.

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He didn't really get a decent ball all game. Played a part in the goal though with a fantastic cross field ball for Conway to cross in.

When Graham went off they should have just put balls over the top into the big areas of space for him to run on to. He was twice as quick as their centre backs. Alas even that was beyond us today. I hope he signs for us again if we go up.

Reckon he'll be at Ewood next season mate .Probably season long loan now that Newcastle United are safe .

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Strap yourself in, it's going to be a bumpy.

That was arguably in the worst three home performances of the season but the result, without a shadow of a doubt was the most important thing and the relief at the end was there for us all to see.

Defensively we were ok but our midfield was dominated by the visitors and we didn't show too much in attack. The strength of Raya was there for all to see today. His reflexes are up there with the best and his double save at the end might be folklore in years to come. One real area of concern was how Evans and Smallwood were blowing out of the orifices with twenty minutes to go. We desperately need the legs of Bennett in there and if Nyambe isn't fit then Travis in to play right full back.

We need to lick our wounds and get to the next game at Gillingham where I think the way we play will be better suited to get a result.

3 points is the important thing and Rovers being Rovers, it was never going to be anything else other than a bumpy ride.

I thought Graham and Dack looked as if they were carrying injuries from the off. In truth, we we were never going to be too creative with no natural pace or width and Smallwood and Evans in CM who both tend to sit deep.

I haven't a clue how the ball was kept out at the death, an absolute defining moment for sure.

Despite our 'lacklustre' performance, it was an entertaining game, including the drama at the end.

Anyway, on to Gillingham and hopefully a stellar performance yielding 3 more points and hoping Grayson sufficiently winds up The Bantams for Thursday after today's stuffing at Bloomfield Road.

COYB!

We're on OUR way........!

Just now, darrenrover said:

3 points is the important thing and Rovers being Rovers, it was never going to be anything else other than a bumpy ride.

I thought Graham and Dack looked as if they were carrying injuries from the off. In truth, we we were never going to be too creative with no natural pace or width and Smallwood and Evans in CM who both tend to sit deep.

I haven't a clue how the ball was kept out at the death, an absolute defining moment for sure.

Despite our 'lacklustre' performance, it was an entertaining game, including the drama at the end.

Anyway, on to Gillingham and hopefully a stellar performance yielding 3 more points and hoping Grayson sufficiently winds up The Bantams for Thursday after today's stuffing at Bloomfield Road.

COYB!

We're on OUR way........!

The way Bradford are playing, if they manage to beat Shrewsbury, we may order the champagne 

Archived