BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thank God I went for a walk and just came that to the scoreline. Must have been hard for those watching live. 

It can't be said we aren't due a bit of luck. Sounds like de Raya pulled off another wordly. How much better than Steele is that cat?? 

Big, big blow for Shrewsbury. Hope they lose tomorrow as well. Dick kick city. 

I don’t think the shrews play again till Thursday, away at Bradford. 

So we can pile on more pressure if we can beat Gillingham on Tuesday.

Just now, davulsukur said:

I don’t think the shrews play again till Thursday, away at Bradford. 

So we can pile on more pressure if we can beat Gillingham on Tuesday.

Ya, that's it. If we win we will be 7 points clear. That makes the Bradford game must win for them

A loss tomorrow in the CT trophy  would knock them big time I reckon 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, that's it. If we win we will be 7 points clear. That makes the Bradford game must win for them

I'd prefer Shrewsbury to win the CT trophy, incur a couple of injuries in the process and then go out on the lash for a couple of days to celebrate.

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Scotty Wharton will have them in his pocket tomorrow!  

13 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I'd prefer Shrewsbury to win the CT trophy, incur a couple of injuries in the process and then go out on the lash for a couple of days to celebrate.

They can get the injuries without winning. I doubt they will be on the lash either way. A defeat will hit them hard confidence wise. A win could give them momentum. I hope they get trounced 

That was a shockingly shocking performance by a team which is top of the league. Wigan know how to do it; 5-1 against M K Dons. How we held onto the two extra points is beyond me. We really didn't deserve it. I know I'll get slated but it's the truth. We haven't dominated many games at Ewood throughout the season. (retires to bunker with tin hat on). However thank goodness we scraped the 3 points.

Was it Jack Payne that took the ball down to their corner flag and not a single team-mate went to help him? He eventually had to do a Sam Gallagher, putting the ball into the penalty area which was (surprise, surprise) devoid of colleagues.

Roll on Gillingham. Let's hope we play with much more confidence. 

We got the 3 points and that's what matters not the performance. Pleased with the win and the clean sheet. 

Bennett was outstanding all game and never gave Kightly a chance to influence the game. deserved his man of the match award. 

Downing and Mulgrew did well at centre back and Raya made an outstanding save in the last few mins of the game. 

When Dack went off and Payne came on and played the 10 role. we badly missed Dack in the game and Payne was very poor and had no influence at the game at all. Plus his stupid overkick on the edge of our box was stupid and could have been very costly. 

Conway, Smallwood and Evans were decent. Armstrong struggle to influence the game today. Good cross by Conway for Graham header who got his head on the ball. 

Thought Chris Powell set his team very well until we scored. Tactical good defensively but didn't have a proper chance for most of the game. so I disagree with anyone who think they outplayed us

I think Powell will have them challenging for promotion next season @Shrimper

Just now, bazza said:

That was a shockingly shocking performance by a team which is top of the league. Wigan know how to do it; 5-1 against M K Dons. How we held onto the two extra points is beyond me. We really didn't deserve it. I know I'll get slated but it's the truth. We haven't dominated many games at Ewood throughout the season. (retires to bunker with tin hat on). However thank goodness we scraped the 3 points.

Was it Jack Payne that took the ball down to their corner flag and not a single team-mate went to help him? He eventually had to do a Sam Gallagher, putting the ball into the penalty area which was (surprise, surprise) devoid of colleagues.

You're not wrong Bazza but we've seldom played with a swagger all season but some how have only lost once in 29 games, (how we'll get there I don't know!)

More of the same results would do, ideally with a performance to match but I've given up bothering tbh, just rack the points up!

3 minutes ago, bazza said:

I think you're going a bit over the top with shocking bazza, but it wasn't the best I agree.

But another 3 points gained and on course from promotion, all that matters at this stage of the season surely? 

Onwards and upwards.

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Full time. Phew.

sounds like Raya pulled us out the fire at the death

it was a very good save

3 hours ago, Shrimper said:

Congratulations Rovers. Sounded like a nervy finish, after you'd squandered chances throughout the game. 

Sadly, this looks like the last time we'll play each other for a while. Go and win the title now!! 

thanks for that. great to here you say that

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Disagree. I barely even recall him touching the ball! At least Antonsson was a bit of an outlet. Can’t believe Samuel is 3 years younger than him - doesn’t run like he does.

Anywho, that’s a massive three points today. Really really struggling to see teams off (compare and contrast Wigan - again). Such a stressful afternoon and not a bit enjoyable at any point.

2 home games and 4 away left. Probably good news for us as I think we play better away.

Good to see the right player awarded a penalty rather than just the goal scorer. Bennett is our engine at the moment.

I have to disagree. cant remember Antonsson doing anything but Samuel chasing the ball a few times and stuck to his position well and track back

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Has anyone else noticed with Armstrong he either scores 2 goals in a game or has no impact. Very little in between. 2 goals or nothing. Hopefully he has a 2 goal night Tuesday 

Played on the left today for the most part, not natural to him.

Armstrong has been a revelation so far and a truly inspirational signing but today he wasn't 'at the races'.

Just now, darrenrover said:

Played on the left today for the most part, not natural to him.

Armstrong has been a revelation so far and a truly inspirational signing but today he wasn't 'at the races'.

Cracking signing no doubt. Could be the difference between going up or not. I find it hard to imagine where we would be without him. Hopefully he has a few more good performances in him before the end of the season 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Looks like a shoulder charge, never a pen.

Just a word on Raya, he's earned us 4 points in the last 2 games, been very good all season, if he improves his distribution he could play at a much higher level.

Looked like a mild shoulder charge to me, Graham should have had a hat-trick, Raya saved a certain OG at the death and looking at those highlights there should be a new song for Elliot Bennett along the lines of  'he plays on the left, he plays on the right............'

An unsung hero for me Bennett, plays with a lot of heart and energy and should be a definite player of the season candidate.

The last minute scramble looked far worse in real time. I think had the penalty been given it would have been of the soft variety.

Just on the referee it was more interesting watching his high kneed sprinting style than the game at times. He was oblivious to Southends time wasting but when we scored he was hurrying us up at every restart.

Just now, Gav said:

Looks like a shoulder charge, never a pen.

Just a word on Raya, he's earned us 4 points in the last 2 games, been very good all season, if he improves his distribution he could play at a much higher level.

Not a pen for me either, their guy was looking for the shoulder charge and went down like a ten year old when it came. Having said that you see them given these days.

Just now, darrenrover said:

An unsung hero for me Bennett, plays with a lot of heart and energy and should be a definite player of the season candidate

Only missed one game all season to date ,and thats both home and away .To date my candidate for player of the season would go to EB

Just now, arbitro said:

The last minute scramble looked far worse in real time. I think had the penalty been given it would have been of the soft variety.

Just on the referee it was more interesting watching his high kneed sprinting style than the game at times. He was oblivious to Southends time wasting but when we scored he was hurrying us up at every restart.

Before your time Arbi but there was a referee in the old days called Maurice Fussey who had a similar running style. I remember us playing Bolton at Burnden Park where they had that big clock on the main stand. Mr Fussey blew for time 20 minutes before he should have and took the players off. Everybody was looking at the clock and we were all baffled as to why he'd ended the game so early. About 5 minutes later the players came back on, getting their kit on again etc and played out the last 20 minutes. A problem with his watch apparently !

Archived