BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Before your time Arbi but there was a referee in the old days called Maurice Fussey who had a similar running style. I remember us playing Bolton at Burnden Park where they had that big clock on the main stand. Mr Fussey blew for time 20 minutes before he should have and took the players off. Everybody was baffled as to why he'd ended the game so early. About 5 minutes later the players came back on, getting their kit on again etc and played out the last 20 minutes. A problem with his watch apparently !

I remember him and his great name for a referee, Fussey?.

The was also Ray Lewis who hailed from a place called Great Bookham.

Just now, Gav said:

Looks like a shoulder charge, never a pen.

Just a word on Raya, he's earned us 4 points in the last 2 games, been very good all season, if he improves his distribution he could play at a much higher level.

He pushed him from behind.  Samuel knew it was a pen as his quick look at the ref proved.

Just now, arbitro said:

I remember him and his great name for a referee, Fussey?.

The was also Ray Lewis who hailed from a place called Great Bookham.

Talking of local referees, I heard a tale today that made me smile that I'd never heard previously regarding Ben Toner, who I guess you will know as I do.

Apparently he had been allocated to referee a Blackpool home game earlier in the season but was removed because of his name and the potential references to bent owner and the Oystons.

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The last minute scramble looked far worse in real time. I think had the penalty been given it would have been of the soft variety.

Just on the referee it was more interesting watching his high kneed sprinting style than the game at times. He was oblivious to Southends time wasting but when we scored he was hurrying us up at every restart.

Ha, the ref's running style was like an extra off Benny Hill trying to run like Nicky Reid. To be fair he was hurrying them up before we scored when they were time-wasting on throws. Thought he got the pen shout wrong, the player had the ball at his feet and Samuel charged him from behind.

Just now, Ossydave said:

Who remembers David De Gea when he first arrived? Flappy idiot he was deemed. Move on a few years and he's the best in the prem. Serious coaching required but for me Raya has a huge future 

Fair comparison and I said a while back Raya is obviously a continental style keeper as was De Gea.  Physically smaller guys who are full of the instinct to play it out from the back or aim kicks, passes that are a bit risky but always great in the reflex department and very agile.  Trick is to get them up to speed with the basics and physical nature of it all whilst fine tuning the other stuff.

Only time and regular games along with the brains to let it sink in will achieve that and it takes time, both guys learning on the job from a young age but if Raya follows a similar path he'll be a good one for sure. Cost a few goals this season but certainly saved and won more points i'd say, hope it stays that way.

34 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Looked like a mild shoulder charge to me, Graham should have had a hat-trick, Raya saved a certain OG at the death and looking at those highlights there should be a new song for Elliot Bennett along the lines of  'he plays on the left, he plays on the right............'

An unsung hero for me Bennett, plays with a lot of heart and energy and should be a definite player of the season candidate.

You can't shoulder charge someone with a forearm in the back.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've been watching too much modern football. He went down too easily for me.

I agree Tyrone.

I listened to Souness last week talking about a penalty that he thought should have been given for Liverpool against Palace because there was 'contact'.

Ridiculous in my opinion because unless the rules have changed, which they may have done, a foul is a foul whether it's inside the box or not and my definition of a foul is not just about 'contact'.

Good job Sounness isn't playing these days I guess but from personal preference, I'd prefer his style of midfield play all day long.

42 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Looked like a mild shoulder charge to me, Graham should have had a hat-trick, Raya saved a certain OG at the death and looking at those highlights there should be a new song for Elliot Bennett along the lines of  'he plays on the left, he plays on the right............'

An unsung hero for me Bennett, plays with a lot of heart and energy and should be a definite player of the season candidate.

I assume the next line of said song won't be 'elliot Bennett his crossing is sh**e'. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

You can't shoulder charge someone with a forearm in the back.

Behave blueboy, shoulder charge, bit of a nudge, went down arms waving like he'd been shot, Get it VAR'd!

As whatever, at least the ref got that one right!

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've been watching too much modern football. He went down too easily for me.

Could easily turn that around by saying you are still living in the 70's.

In the non contact sport that football is slowly becoming, for me that was a pen.

I'm not saying i agree with it but in 2018, i'm suprised we got away with that.

46 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Before your time Arbi but there was a referee in the old days called Maurice Fussey who had a similar running style. I remember us playing Bolton at Burnden Park where they had that big clock on the main stand. Mr Fussey blew for time 20 minutes before he should have and took the players off. Everybody was looking at the clock and we were all baffled as to why he'd ended the game so early. About 5 minutes later the players came back on, getting their kit on again etc and played out the last 20 minutes. A problem with his watch apparently !

I remember that well Tyrone - came off somewhat bemused thinking it was the final whistle and had to run back to the ground again after we all realised he'd brought them back on.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

They play in the Checkatrade final tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, that's it. If we win we will be 7 points clear. That makes the Bradford game must win for them

A loss tomorrow in the CT trophy  would knock them big time I reckon 

Oh, I see.

Not the best performance but all that matters is that we managed to get the 3 points.  Tough game on Tuesday if we can somehow in that one as well then it will pile on even more pressure on Shrewsbury.

Rovers never do anything the "easy" way so am fully expecting more twists and turns in next 6 games.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I remember that well Tyrone - came off somewhat bemused thinking it was the final whistle and had to run back to the ground again after we all realised he'd brought them back on.

I'm glad somebody else remembered the incident, I was beginning to think I had imagined it after all these years.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Could easily turn that around by saying you are still living in the 70's.

In the non contact sport that football is slowly becoming, for me that was a pen.

I'm not saying i agree with it but in 2018, i'm suprised we got away with that.

Yeah,  it's still 1964 in my house.

Archived