BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Top of the table. 4 points ahead of Shrewsbury. Same number of games. Think a Funk Brewing double IPA deserves opening. 

Effectively 5 points with goal difference! That's a tough task in 6 games. No point worrying about Wigan, they will go up.

Not counting my (Venky) chickens but can almost smell promotion now!

Injuries and fatigue are the only enemies now.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Before your time Arbi but there was a referee in the old days called Maurice Fussey who had a similar running style. I remember us playing Bolton at Burnden Park where they had that big clock on the main stand. Mr Fussey blew for time 20 minutes before he should have and took the players off. Everybody was looking at the clock and we were all baffled as to why he'd ended the game so early. About 5 minutes later the players came back on, getting their kit on again etc and played out the last 20 minutes. A problem with his watch apparently !

Remember him well and that incident. How old are we?!!

That happened at Ewood too once. Players trooped off mystified, crowd knew and stayed, players came back for a few minutes! Would have been in the early sixties I'm guessing.

• Backroom

Agree with the sentiments on Raya, I’ve doubted his decision making but his instincts are phenomenal.

With the right coaching he’ll easily be a top flight keeper

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

The last minute scramble looked far worse in real time. I think had the penalty been given it would have been of the soft variety.

Just on the referee it was more interesting watching his high kneed sprinting style than the game at times. He was oblivious to Southends time wasting but when we scored he was hurrying us up at every restart.

Would have thought for any referee on time management that you speed up the winning team and the losing team can take as long as they want with the referee having the extra option of added time apportioned where and when its appropriate.

Good job your not an assessor Tony.

33 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Won again.

Top of the league.

One defeat in 29. 

and heaven knows I’m miserable now.?

And we have now equalled the number of wins Howard Kendall’s team achieved. Unless something goes horribly wrong, we are on track for the highest number of wins in our history.

Grim stuff 

38 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

And we have now equalled the number of wins Howard Kendall’s team achieved. Unless something goes horribly wrong, we are on track for the highest number of wins in our history.

Grim stuff 

We're already 4 points above the points total, with 6 to play, that got Bolton promoted with last season.

It counts for nothing and all is relative. We've achieved bugger all yet this season.

COYB!!

9 hours ago, arbitro said:

The last minute scramble looked far worse in real time. I think had the penalty been given it would have been of the soft variety.

Just on the referee it was more interesting watching his high kneed sprinting style than the game at times. He was oblivious to Southends time wasting but when we scored he was hurrying us up at every restart.

Agree with u there. On the highlights it looks nothing. On the ground I was @#/? green oat cakes!

Still, great keeping from DeGea, sorry, I mean Raya! ?

Man, that beer tasted good tonight. TMBWA!

6 hours ago, JAL said:

Would have thought for any referee on time management that you speed up the winning team and the losing team can take as long as they want with the referee having the extra option of added time apportioned where and when its appropriate.

There has to be consistency and it should start from the beginning of the game. Southend were clearly killing the game at every restart pretty much in accordance with their managers pre match comments about frustrating us. We were around the 40th minute mark when he started to try and get Southends restarts speeded up. When we scored we slowed it down and rightly he was on our case.

Remember the word consistency John.

6 hours ago, bob fleming said:

Won again.

Top of the league.

One defeat in 29. 

and heaven knows I’m miserable now.?

Doesn't seem two minutes since the train trip back from Southend and you couldn't give a beer away.   ?

Who'd have thought on that warm August afternoon the return fixture would see us at the top of the league?

• Backroom
7 hours ago, JAL said:

He’s right though, they were wasting time at 0-0 especially their keeper and right back.

The right back on throws would take an age bouncing the ball or generally messing around, eventually the ref warned him, then again, then again but nothing in the first half. (Funny how much he sped up at 1-0)

As soon as we scored and Williams jogged over to take a throw the ref got precious about it.

Constantly amazed how naive a lot of these refs are to time wasting in this league, tricks like obviously taking a free kick from the wrong place so the ref makes them move it back which they take an age to do. Problem is every time the refs just politely warn them until they eventually decide to book them 2 minutes from time usually. 

Still clenched... :lol::blink:?

Summary: nervous players but no lack of effort. Pitch not helping our way of playing and a large number of wayward passes both made us look worse.

Credit to all players and manager for the win.

Still think Samuel did a good job - was the only player who got hold of the ball without panicking. Think he is getting unfair stick from some - was asked to come on and do a job for the team and did it. Scored earlier in the season when DG and BD wern't on form and so very much a part of why we are top.

Raya - De Gea and Lloris hybrid. Fantastic but throws in the odd scuffed clearance to keep things interesting ? Feels like he has improved on crosses in the last 2 months.

6 hours ago, darrenrover said:

We're already 4 points above the points total, with 6 to play, that got Bolton promoted with last season.

It counts for nothing and all is relative. We've achieved bugger all yet this season.

COYB!!

I am being pedantic but Bolton got 86 points last season. Your point though is quite correct and in some previous seasons our current total of 85 would have been enough.

Just to echo the sentiments of everyone else re the game - it’s the 3 points that counts! Nothing more to say! 

12 hours ago, arbitro said:

He did the same thing at Fleetwood. Was quite happy to go at their pace in the second half whilst it was 1-1 and allowed all sorts of time wasting. The moment we took the lead in the last ten minutes he was chasing after every free kick, corner, goal kick, substitution telling Rovers to go faster. Must only be timewasting if there is a side winning.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He did the same thing at Fleetwood. Was quite happy to go at their pace in the second half whilst it was 1-1 and allowed all sorts of time wasting. The moment we took the lead in the last ten minutes he was chasing after every free kick, corner, goal kick, substitution telling Rovers to go faster. Must only be timewasting if there is a side winning.

The referee was grossly unfit and I think he might have been happy for plenty of stoppages and no intensity to the game. This referee is on Select Group 2 who have full time referees and operate predominantly on the Championship. However he isn't allowed to do Championship matches because he cant pass the relevant fitness test. When I was active it was exactly the same fitness test and standard for everybody. Why on earth he is allowed to do League One and Two games and be fourth official on Championship games beggars belief.

Just now, arbitro said:

The referee was grossly unfit and I think he might have been happy for plenty of stoppages and no intensity to the game.

I share the same thoughts, i actualy commented to a fellow supporter who was sat near me when he commented on the ref stopping the game..I said he is more than likely thankful for it as he looks unfit and could do with a break in play,now i am no ex referee but i have played the game and it was so obvious to me what he was doing ...

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The referee was grossly unfit and I think he might have been happy for plenty of stoppages and no intensity to the game. This referee is on Select Group 2 who have full time referees and operate predominantly on the Championship. However he isn't allowed to do Championship matches because he cant pass the relevant fitness test. When I was active it was exactly the same fitness test and standard for everybody. Why on earth he is allowed to do League One and Two games and be fourth official on Championship games beggars belief.

How does this ‘full time’ referee thing actually work? As using ‘select group’, Premier League regular Neil Swarbrick as an example, he still works for a well known Lancashire based defence/aerospace company...

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

How does this ‘full time’ referee thing actually work? As using ‘select group’, Premier League regular Neil Swarbrick as an example, he still works for a well known Lancashire based defence/aerospace company...

They have to commit to several days away fortnightly (I think) for meetings, coaching sessions, collective training etc at St Georges Park. They also have to do their individual training sessions which are monitored remotely via heart rate monitors. I know several who went part time in their day jobs to allow them to do all the above but primarily to keep their pension topped up and their employment rights. The PGMO accept this but the referees are not allowed to have a crossover which may effect their refereeing. There are also a couple who took career breaks and went back to their regular job when they retired. This doesn't happen much now since the mandatory retirement age of 48 was declared as discriminatory. There are now active referees in their mid fifties.

Right I've calmed down after yesterday. Why make it hard for ourselves. I know I'm not Mowbray's biggest fan but I still can't understand the substitutions yesterday. Why bring two forwards on who neither can hold the ball up?

Willaims was struggling and bringing Antonsson on just encouraged Southend to attack down that flank. Bell would have offered a bit of support to Williams.

19 hours ago, Shrimper said:

Congratulations Rovers. Sounded like a nervy finish, after you'd squandered chances throughout the game. 

Sadly, this looks like the last time we'll play each other for a while. Go and win the title now!! 

Thanks, and thanks for bringing a bit of sense to this madhouse message board.  Enjoyed your posts, you don't have to wait till we play you to come visit.  Good luck for the future.

Archived