BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

I spent some time on the Charlton website this evening. Lots of very good, well presented information on there.

Manchester - Euston return still available at £61 and £11 return Euston - Charlton. 

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, only2garners said:

Paul - Euston to Charlton is £4.20 for an adult each way off-peak (which all day Saturday is), with an Oyster card or contactless credit card.

Thanks John, I hadn’t noticed this. I’ll have Tom with me and our timings are important for obvious reasons - a combination of best price to London but with a plenty of safety net built in. By the time I’d sorted that out I just booked it!!

My main concern is getting back from The Valley to Euston  - impossible to gauge which train we can get and the tube is too far to walk. 

8 hours ago, Paul said:

I spent some time on the Charlton website this evening. Lots of very good, well presented information on there.

Manchester - Euston return still available at £61 and £11 return Euston - Charlton. 

Do you not have a senior wildcard Paul? My ticket from Piccadilly to Euston was £37 with my card. That is leaving on the 10.55 and returning on the 18.40. If you use trains a lot and are over 60 it's worth considering one at £30 for a year or £70 for three. There is also a group booking you can look at for three or more travellers. Even the Duo card can give you decent savings.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Do you not have a senior wildcard Paul? My ticket from Piccadilly to Euston was £37 with my card. That is leaving on the 10.55 and returning on the 18.40. If you use trains a lot and are over 60 it's worth considering one at £30 for a year or £70 for three. There is also a group booking you can look at for three or more travellers. Even the Duo card can give you decent savings.

Yes I do arbito and if traveling without my son would be on the same train as you. My son though has SLD and some walking issues, at 28 he had a hip replacement, which is why we have to pay more to build in plenty of contingency time. Always a juggling act.

Getting back to Euston for example I have to build in the assumption we may not get on a train until an hour after FT. We are on the 18.40 

Normally we go by car but I can no longer drive the distance in a day!!

Just now, Paul said:

Yes I do arbito and if traveling without my son would be on the same train as you. My son though has SLD and some walking issues, at 28 he had a hip replacement, which is why we have to pay more to build in plenty of contingency time. Always a juggling act.

Getting back to Euston for example I have to build in the assumption we may not get on a train until an hour after FT. We are on the 18.40 

Normally we go by car but I can no longer drive the distance in a day!!

There is a decent bus service which stops right by the Valley. We used it once from Stratford but I don't know if there is a direct bus from Euston. If you need any assistance getting back from the Valley post match let me know.

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Thanks John, I hadn’t noticed this. I’ll have Tom with me and our timings are important for obvious reasons - a combination of best price to London but with a plenty of safety net built in. By the time I’d sorted that out I just booked it!!

My main concern is getting back from The Valley to Euston  - impossible to gauge which train we can get and the tube is too far to walk. 

Assuming you've booked the tickets now bear in mind for next time that you can use Oyster and contactless in London on the trains as well as the tube and buses. And if you have a Senior railcard you can get that added to an Oyster card to save 1/3rd off off-peak fares in London.

3 hours ago, only2garners said:

Assuming you've booked the tickets now bear in mind for next time that you can use Oyster and contactless in London on the trains as well as the tube and buses. And if you have a Senior railcard you can get that added to an Oyster card to save 1/3rd off off-peak fares in London.

Thanks I knew about tube and bus but not train.

Good option travelling from Birmingham or anywhere south of there on chiltern line is £25 day return to Charlton for 1 adult and 1 child; £26 for 1 adult and 2 children.

may even be worth split ticketing for anyone travelling from north with their kids 

Come on you blues - the promotion party at The Valley awaits !

On 07/04/2018 at 08:09, arbitro said:

There is a decent bus service which stops right by the Valley. We used it once from Stratford but I don't know if there is a direct bus from Euston. If you need any assistance getting back from the Valley post match let me know.

Sorry I missed this. Thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind. We have two plans, one if we go up on the day and a second if that’s not the case! I feel promotion will be here or at Doncaster.

My main concerns are covered though, affordable travel, match tickets on front row. Job done. 

Paul, I’m sure you know this anyway but you can use any contactless card as an Oyster card and still get the same prices as you would with Oyster. 

Also I find google maps excellent when I’m in London as the route finder lets you pick public transport and gives you the best mix of train, tube and bus.

Google Maps is decent for getting around London, but Citymapper is the best app! The latter is slightly better at giving live updates on travel delays. Both will get you there anyway.

Also note an Oyster card requires a £5 deposit, so remember to refund that at the end of your day at one of the machines (or just keep the Oyster card handy for the future)

(Also, if like 3 of you could not buy a ticket so there will be leftover tickets for myself and a couple friends on Tuesday, that'd be greeaaaat ;) )

@Ricky thanks. I’m actually fine with getting round London on my own though I can see why my remarks suggest I can’t. ? 

Timings with Tom though are crucial. A balance between potentially enjoying the moment and getting to Euston for the 18.40. Current option if we get delayed will be Uber which a friend suggests will work well if we get stuck.

I came across the Football Aid pictures the other day - that was a long time ago. 

I got some tickets for the Oxford match this morning and asked about sales for Doncaster and Charlton. I was told around 150 left for Doncaster and around 600 left for Charlton. It looks like another couple of beam backs in the offing.

On 4/13/2018 at 07:57, Ricky said:

Paul, I’m sure you know this anyway but you can use any contactless card as an Oyster card and still get the same prices as you would with Oyster. 

Mostly correct Ricky but for someone with a Senior Railcard, as Paul and I do, you can get the same discounts on Tfl services by getting it added to an Oyster card, making an Oyster cheaper than contactless.

Archived