BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read somewhere that Charlton fans kicked off big time that Portsmouth were given more tickets, i cant imagine we'll get anymore considering the club changed there original article from "initial" to "full" allocation so quickly. Hopefully they can work something out though would be great to have over 4k there.

Suppose it depends on Charlton. If they are going strong for the play-offs and will have a decent crowd on I doubt they'll fancy the 'risk' of away fans in two stands and all the policing etc. that comes with it. However if they're out of it by then and have nothing to play for they'd be foolish to not try to accommodate an extra 1,000 at £20 odd a piece.

There was a specific reason Charlton gave pompey more tickets, can't for the life of me remember what it was but their fans are pretty adamant we won't get more. I gather its easy enough to get them for the home ends anyway mind.... 

The club are going to need to ask for more donny tickets now, could be a promotion night, can see us taking a good 4000 up. The club said last week that 1800 of the 2000 were sold, today I've seen them reply to people saying there is plenty of tickets, so have they asked for more? 

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

There was a specific reason Charlton gave pompey more tickets, can't for the life of me remember what it was but their fans are pretty adamant we won't get more. I gather its easy enough to get them for the home ends anyway mind.... 

It was because Pompey were the first visitors to the Valley after it was re-opened and Portsmouth agreed to take a lesser allocation so that as many Charlton fans could see the historic day as possible. When PFC played at the Valley this season it was the 25 year anniversary or something like that and so Pompey got an extra large allocation to kind of pay them back.

Charlton may think its not worth the hassle of having a lot of ticketless Rovers fans at the game trying to get in the home end and give us more. Or they may not..

37 minutes ago, AAK said:

The club are going to need to ask for more donny tickets now, could be a promotion night, can see us taking a good 4000 up. The club said last week that 1800 of the 2000 were sold, today I've seen them reply to people saying there is plenty of tickets, so have they asked for more? 

I would assume the full allocation is 4300 for that game, as that is how many Rotherham had there this season. If we win on thurs and the Shrews don't then we could go up at Donny n'est pas? Meaning those tickets will sell well youd think and fast

Well we gave them the whole Darwen End for their operation Ewood years ago when they laid of free buses etc and brought 6k. Great effort from them as no disrespect but i'd never seen over 600 Charlton fans at Ewood  apart from once when they brought 800 and I think they were being crowned champs of the champ then if I remember rightly.

Be nice if they showed a bit of compassion to a club who's been dragged to the mire just like them :rover:

11 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I would assume the full allocation is 4300 for that game, as that is how many Rotherham had there this season. If we win on thurs and the Shrews don't then we could go up at Donny n'est pas? Meaning those tickets will sell well youd think and fast

Ne pourrions-nous pas? pedantry!

Charlton have now put home tickets on restricted sale, clearly worried that Rovers fans will be buying in the home ends.

Also noticed on their website that the club run organised coaches to home games from towns all over the SE including Ramsgate, Deal and Eastbourne virtually covering the whole of Kent. I think Rovers could do more to try and encourage people from the wider Lancashire region to come to home games.

Disappointing to not be given more given the likelihood of selling them and magnitude of the game. Charlton could offer us more if they wanted to but have presumably chosen empty seats and less money than the aggravation of allowing more away fans. Lets remember not every club wants to hand over 5,000+ tickets to the away side.

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Charlton have now put home tickets on restricted sale, clearly worried that Rovers fans will be buying in the home ends.

Also noticed on their website that the club run organised coaches to home games from towns all over the SE including Ramsgate, Deal and Eastbourne virtually covering the whole of Kent. I think Rovers could do more to try and encourage people from the wider Lancashire region to come to home games.

That'a a hangover from when they were homeless for a period. Also, given where they are located, there is a large hinterland in Kent that has no other league clubs except Gillingham, so they have always attracted support form that area. 

Rovers' problem is that the natural catchment area is very small because of all the other clubs around us. Nevertheless I might mention it again at the next Fans' Forum.

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Rovers just put it on Twitter.

Let's win tomorrow, hope Shrews slip up on Saturday,  so everyone can potentially witness us going up at Doncaster instead!

Tin pot cockney ****'s :angry:

With the disgraceful show at Wembley in 87 you'd think they'd welcome all the fans they can get.

I'm not bitter at all.....

Just now, only2garners said:

That'a a hangover from when they were homeless for a period. Also, given where they are located, there is a large hinterland in Kent that has no other league clubs except Gillingham, so they have always attracted support form that area. 

Rovers' problem is that the natural catchment area is very small because of all the other clubs around us. Nevertheless I might mention it again at the next Fans' Forum.

Who decides what a 'catchment area' is though? My point being that Charlton, a London club with 7 million+ people on their doorstep, still make regular efforts to attract people from afar, even treading on the toes of other league clubs like Gillingham who in theory ought to consider Ramsgate etc. as their backyard.

As far as I am aware Rovers as a club makes no effort to lure supporters from across Lancashire away from our rivals and to Ewood Park. Back in the 90s and 00s we didn't need to make that effort as we offered Premier League football at a low price and the people will flock for that, but in the Championship and League One with rival clubs such as Wigan, Bolton and PNE knocking about efforts have to be made.

I've heard numerous times that there is either a rule or expectation that clubs will not tread on the toes of neighbours by going in their backyard, yet who can decide what that is?

Places like Eastbourne and Deal are 90 minutes+ drive away from The Valley, yet Charlton put buses on to try and bring them in to watch League One football. For fans in those areas ok there aren't many other clubs but it is just as easy to get to Brighton, Gillingham or West Ham, Palace, Millwall etc. It must be viable or worth their effort to run otherwise they wouldn't bother. I get the impression Rovers don't look beyond BwDBC and I don't understand why.

Just now, darrenrover said:

The decision not to issue us with any more tickets is based upon 'police advise'.

There's only Palace at home in London on the same day FFS. Any suggestions as to how to apply pressure to change the decision?

At the end of the day, it's up to Charlton how many extra tickets they allocate. They are chasing a play-off spot so I can understand why they don't want us having an enormous following. I think 3000 is pretty generous anyway. I don't see why or who you would "apply pressure" to anyone about this 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

At the end of the day, it's up to Charlton how many extra tickets they allocate. They are chasing a play-off spot so I can understand why they don't want us having an enormous following. I think 3000 is pretty generous anyway. I don't see why or who you would "apply pressure" to anyone about this 

Try bombarding Katie Cowling, the ticket office manager at Charlton on 03330 144444, who's in meetings all day today allegedly.

For example my 2 lads would like to go but can't now get tickets Bigdog.

Yes, 3,000 may be a 'generous allocation' but surely it's better to have 5,000 Rovers all together rather than 3,000 together and 2,000 dotted all over the stadium, in the interests of 'public safety'!

Archived