BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Bournemouth played at Charlton 3 years ago to get promoted to the Premier League and were given 4,000 tickets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32459759

What's the difference this time?

I'm almost certain Burnley got 4,000+ in 2016 when they won promotion also.

Looks like we aren't even getting the full end behind the goals.

As I suggested earlier on, it's probably on police advice.

It's a set up by the cockney spivs. Say the sell 200 hospitality packages netting them around £20k. That equates to around 750 tickets at £23 each. It's far easier to police, they make good money and deny us an extra 1000 fans.

Rovers should have told them to stick their jellied eels package up their Addicks.

20 minutes ago, meadows said:

Charlton were prepared to give us another 1,000 Tony according to a Rovers insider today but the Old Bill said not. 

If that is the case Jim it's poor on the Mets behalf. There will be 40000 Mancs in London on Saturday evening. Are they expecting a rerun of the northern horde of uncouth garb and strange oaths ?.

Charlton fans piping up on Twitter slating our attendance at Ewood tonight and ridiculing us for being annoyed at not getting more tickets for our game at the Valley. F**k em, hope we beat them and they bottle the play offs. Nice one for beating Shrewsbury though lads :lol: 

40 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Just cancelled my train and match tickets - page 6 - “no pleasant day out or anything like that for them”. Crivens. A veritable powder keg if I ever saw one.

9 hours ago, Butty said:

Charlton fans piping up on Twitter slating our attendance at Ewood tonight and ridiculing us for being annoyed at not getting more tickets for our game at the Valley. F**k em, hope we beat them and they bottle the play offs. Nice one for beating Shrewsbury though lads :lol: 

Good reason too - last night's attendance was an embarrassment. 

Wouldn't take notice of Charlton fans though. They're southern - they can't help it

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Good reason too - last night's attendance was an embarrassment. 

Wouldn't take notice of Charlton fans though. They're southern - they can't help it

Fingers crossed more turn up for the Oxford game. Be disappointed if we can't get 15k home fans on for that game but we'll see. Our away support this season has been unbelievable and no other team in the league comes close, so for Charlton to try and give it he big one is laughable. They brought no fans every season we played them in the prem, except one time when they were fighting for survival the club put on free coaches and they brought about 3 or 4,000. They called it "Operation Ewood" and we smashed them 4-1 :lol::lol: 

Seems similar on their board to on here at times when we've questioned why we always seemed to be providing a good day out for hordes of away fans. They want to think themselves lucky their ground isn't 5k bigger though then they'd have been handing over 7 thousand on a regular basis, the numbers they are moaning about are trifling really but they've the exact same problems as us when it comes to decimated home support.

As for our lot if ever a game needed something doing to boost the crowd and help the team it was last nights fixture but it seems they put all their stock into cutting prices for the last game which was understandable thinking it might go to the wire although I think a decent turn out was guaranteed for that anyway.

Might take Waggot a while to get used to how the Blackburn public works, then again he probably never will :lol:

16 minutes ago, Butty said:

Fingers crossed more turn up for the Oxford game. Be disappointed if we can't get 15k home fans on for that game but we'll see. Our away support this season has been unbelievable and no other team in the league comes close, so for Charlton to try and give it he big one is laughable. They brought no fans every season we played them in the prem, except one time when they were fighting for survival the club put on free coaches and they brought about 3 or 4,000. They called it "Operation Ewood" and we smashed them 4-1 :lol::lol: 

They brought a big following at the end of the season circa 2001-2 (?) when we beat them 1-0. Duff scored the winner.

Lovely day, we were in top 10 I think but not threatening to get into Europe. They were about 27,000 on Ewood if I recall.

How times change

It's no wonder the attendance was poor last night, game moved to an awkward weeknight, on telly, and tickets were dear plus the sun was shining so those who were thinking of walking on might have enjoyed an extra hour in the sun and watched it on the telly/internet.

That said, I was still shocked the attendance was so poor.

There were 11,500 Rovers fans in the ground which is pretty standard this past few months.

For example, there were only 11,800 on the ground against Bradford, the crowd was just boosted by 1,600 Bradford fans. Peterborough brought 180. Full price, midweek third divison matches live on Sky aint drawing a crowd.

Now if it had been a Saturday afternoon, I imagine they'd have been plenty more there. Just hope this team finally sees the crowd it deserves agianst Oxford.

Wigan have been top of the league all season, and had an unbelievable cup run, yet are still getting 8000 on for Saturday games. Shrewsbury's crowds are still less than 6,000 despite having the season of their lives. Bolton struggled to get above 15,000 last season despite being near the top all season. PNE are struggling to get over 10,000 despite pushing for the playoffs in the league above.

Fact is for the vast majority of clubs League One football will not attract people in their thousands, even if pushing for promotion. Our crowd vs Southend was over 13,000 which was a decent increase on what we had last season and the start of this season. Roll together £25 tickets, Thursday night and live on TV and no club outside the Premier League will get big turnouts. I've watched a few Championship Friday night fixtures this season and its obvious the attendances at those are dire.

Oxford is different gravy as it is the culmination of the season, celebration time, cheap tickets and not on tv. No excuses for those with even a passing interest in the club from the area to turn up for that one.

I don't think any Charlton fan can comment on support. I reckon their following at Ewood was along with Peterborough and Walsall the smallest we've had this season, but at least Posh and Walsall were midweek games.

I hope Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe get into the playoffs and one of them wins it and gets promotion. No time for the likes of Charlton or Portsmouth and Plymouth another lot who are an irrelevance in English football yet because they get healthy gates think they are something.

Sub 500 Charlton followings for a Prem fixture were pretty standard along with Fulham. They seemed to do ok sometimes with midlands fixtures but anything beyond that they struggled no matter their form.

Always good crowds at the Valley though back then, which you'd expect for a London club to be fair but their away support never reflected it. Let's not even talk about the FMC :lol:

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

They brought a big following at the end of the season circa 2001-2 (?) when we beat them 1-0. Duff scored the winner.

Lovely day, we were in top 10 I think but not threatening to get into Europe. They were about 27,000 on Ewood if I recall.

How times change

It was about 800 I think, big for them but ....

Archived