BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/04/2018 at 10:28, robbojohnno said:

Do any of our London based Rovers know where will be best to go and (hopefully) celebrate our promotion on Saturday night? Staying in a hotel in Charlton but not sure if that's the place to go.

London is essentially 100different villages with a ‘city centre’

I’d steer clear of Charlton. It’s a dump.

I would either recoemend going into the centre to Soho, or Covent Garden.  Or if you want to stay fairly local to Charlton,, the 2 best places are Greenwich or Blackheath. Both very nice places with tonnes of bars/restaurants. 

Strangely this is going to be a big test of character.

Charlton have everything to play for and we are simply keeping going hoping Wigan fail to win one of their last two fixtures in order to win the title. 

Hoping for a massive Rovers party!

On 21/04/2018 at 07:29, Paul said:

I'd also regard Portsmouth and Charlton as proper football clubs but still agree with the bulk of this post. It's becoming increasingly rare for modern fans to support what should be their team. Live in Blackburn, Rovers are your team, live in Portsmouth then it's Pompey etc. but the modern football fan doesn't think this way and wants to sit in a PL stadium being entertained, a long way from supporting your team. Essentially, with a few exceptions, this is why lower league clubs struggle, and will continue to do so, attract decent sized followings. In the next two houses to mine our first neighbour, 20+ years younger than me, from Darwen supports United as does his young son, the second neighbour, same age as me, from Stockport supports County. Different generations, different attitudes. 

We are missing 10,000 fans. I'll be surprised if more than 2,000, possibly 3,000, extra turn up against Oxford. I know plenty of Rovers fans, I'm regularly engaged in conversation about how the club is having a good season etc. Have any of these fans returned? No. Are any aware of the Oxford prices? No. PL football is what people want to watch and the majority won't change their current Saturday habits, if they do, until Rovers return to the PL.

Quite how the club can tackle this I don't know. How to promote special prices must be a nightmare. I know the Oxford price because I sit in the ground. The LT, who reads it these days? Local radio, personally I don't listen so I don't know but other than Radio Lancashire I think market penetration is pretty low and then unlikely to reach the target audience. Email campaign? How many on the data base will still have the same address? How many would even bother to read a club email? I get two or three a week but rarely read them - just like all the other mail lists I've had to join over the years I only read the ones I know are likely to contain important and relevant information.

I agree with your comments about the modern day fan wanting to sit in a PL stadium being entertained but they don’t always get the atmosphere that makes football special.

Last Thursday my friend brought a Man U fan to the Peterborough game and he said it had been the best atmosphere he had experienced for a long time. My future son in law is also a Man U modern day fan yet he now follows Rovers home and away, again he enjoys the experience a lot more than at Old Trafford. 

I believe people’s perceptions of what constitutes a good football experience may be changing 

• Backroom
44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You think if they were to treat anyone, it would be those travelling down, maybe a free pint, but its a kind gesture and maybe im splitting hairs.

You are!

But it would be nice for the away fans to be treated as well

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

You are!

But it would be nice for the away fans to be treated as well

Yeah I know but as you say it would have been nice, a free drink would be a good way.

Maybe its been done like this sensing that the fact that Saturday is now not a potential clincher, and  they are just ensuring they still get as much interest? 

I'm a Rovers fan based in Blackheath - can also recommend it for those looking for a nice local place to drink afterwards. Nice bars though, not clubs.

I'm looking for two away tickets and can meet outside the ground on Saturday if anyone should happen to have one or two spares? DM me if so - otherwise I'll have to sit quiet in the home end and I want to party!

• Paul pinned this topic

The players will no doubt have been celebrating over the past 24 hours but after the euphoria of Tuesday night I hope they don't mentally ease off for the last 2 games.

We're taking a huge following to Charlton and fans won't be happy if we don't up a good show. 

I have lived in Blackheath and Greenwich before, about 6 years in total. Nice areas but not what i would say for the younger generation. No clubs or bars as such but some great pubs and places to eat. 

10 hours ago, Jonson said:

I'm a Rovers fan based in Blackheath - can also recommend it for those looking for a nice local place to drink afterwards. Nice bars though, not clubs.

I'm looking for two away tickets and can meet outside the ground on Saturday if anyone should happen to have one or two spares? DM me if so - otherwise I'll have to sit quiet in the home end and I want to party!

I think someone posted earlier in this thread about having two spare tickets. Trying scrolling back a few pages. 

On 23/04/2018 at 14:14, JacknOry said:

Greenwich is one of the more pleasant areas for sure, avoid the shithole that is Lewisham at all costs.

The centre of Greenwich is a lovely part of London. The ground itself actually isn't in too bad an area as well, which is remarkable considering what's around it - Lewisham isn't even in the top three shitholes. Personally I'd recommend Blackheath. 

• Backroom

Expecting a bit of a ‘hangover’ for this one; players off yesterday and today at least so may not be at their sharpest.

Adrenaline will be high though and that should see us to a win.

So pleased that we have it secured I was worried that if we needed points going into the last 2 it could get a little hairy!

Yeah I fully expect our lads to take there foot off now and coast through the next couple of games.

Shame really as there is still half a chance of finishing top, but I suppose it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder if Rovers have had a few ticket returns for this now? Might be worth ringing them if anyone is still desperate for a ticket.

Archived