SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray explains team selection to Andy Bayes

To answer team selection disappointment questions. Bradley Dack is having a hamstring scan on Monday. Conway has a broken metatarsal. Raya out next week. Williams & Bennett could be back but won’t train. @BBCLancsSport

Although I'll wager if we'd needed 3 points today they'd all have been on the pitch apart from Conway if indeed he does have a broken bone.

10 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If I wasn’t a season ticket holder and hadn’t already bought a ticket, I would NOT be going to watch the Oxford game. There is no point because we are now just going through the motions.

Really really disappointed with Mowbray today. He clearly does not care about the title. A win today would have all but secured it and he has stuck two fingers up to the fans and the U23s.

After last Tuesday the season might as well have ended. It’s fraud to sell any more tickets for matches because we aren’t event going to try.

Not convinced that he has what it takes for next season. The 10 game counter will be reset after next Saturday.

Don’t get carried away. Second half we were decent today. We tried, it just didn’t happen for us.

If you want to find reasons to moan then you can find them but the goal was promotion and that has been achieved. If you can’t rest a few players now then when can you? 

Travis made a big difference when he came on. Really looked promising. Bell was also tidy. Starting to lose faith with Armstrong. Anonymous today.

• Backroom

I think some fans are overestimating the importance of a title win. It would've been great but I won't fault Mowbray for finally giving players carrying injuries a rest. I'd rather they got this extra couple of weeks recovery to get ready for pre-season and THE CHAMPIONSHIP than risk getting more seriously hurt.

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Don’t get carried away. Second half we were decent today. We tried, it just didn’t happen for us.

If you want to find reasons to moan then you can find them but the goal was promotion and that has been achieved. If you can’t rest a few players now then when can you? 

Travis made a big difference when he came on. Really looked promising. Bell was also tidy. Starting to lose faith with Armstrong. Anonymous today.

Reasons to moan? You do realise promotion was 4 days ago? :rolleyes: and that we are now playing for nothing (or the title)?

How odd though that I’ve been championing Lewis’ inclusion for 6 months and been dismissed but all of a sudden you’ve seen him once and had an epiphany.

Meanwhile, the award for most disingenuous headline of the year...

82375AF1-600A-4C0F-B89B-587F6DF43E71.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If I wasn’t a season ticket holder and hadn’t already bought a ticket, I would NOT be going to watch the Oxford game. There is no point because we are now just going through the motions.

Really really disappointed with Mowbray today. He clearly does not care about the title. A win today would have all but secured it and he has stuck two fingers up to the fans and the U23s.

After last Tuesday the season might as well have ended. It’s fraud to sell any more tickets for matches because we aren’t event going to try.

Not convinced that he has what it takes for next season. The 10 game counter will be reset after next Saturday.

Sheesh, Grow up Stuart!

Weve lost two in more than 30 and the players are going through the motions? Give over.

Anyone who watched that game would agree we deserved a minimum of a point, they scored a fluke goal and the referee was awful!

Maybe staying at home might be a good idea for Oxford, since you are obviously just looking for ways to criticise. Embarrassing.

36 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It's the 3,000 fans I feel sorry for today.  Having to go all that way to lose and be inflicted by Caddis isn't nice. 

Don’t worry about us lot.

Great atmosphere, good stadium, good hosting club; happy, smiling fans with no weight on our shoulders singing all the way out of the stadium. 

Its been great.

Team played well, Charlton fans in the pub have no idea how they won the game.

Cheer up lads ??????

-edit-

Also big credit to the Charlton fans giving our players and us a standing ovation as they left the pitch. Definition of class. Hope they won the play offs. Lovely day all round.

Just now, Mike E said:

I think some fans are overestimating the importance of a title win. It would've been great but I won't fault Mowbray for finally giving players carrying injuries a rest. I'd rather they got this extra couple of weeks recovery to get ready for pre-season and THE CHAMPIONSHIP than risk getting more seriously hurt.

I think it's just that some fans are more competitive than others and maybe more fanatical.

Same goes for managers I suppose.

Just now, Mike E said:

You've heard of False Flag theory I'm sure. If we repeat "injured" long enough it becomes the truth.

It means they can't play v Oxford and risk aggravating those injuries and surely Charlie, Ritchie and Danny now also need a rest.

Play the U23s they are the future.

Just now, Mike E said:

I don't know how old you are Mike but the chances of us being so close to actually winning something may not come again in your lifetime. I can't understand players not wanting to play today unless they were really struggling. If they were one of the reasons would be we haven't had any faith in the young players who would be busting a gut to play.

As a said earlier, the older you get the more cautious you get, you are less likely to take a chance. Speaking from personal experience here.

Just now, AlanK said:

I would like to see us win the title as much as anyone but I'm not going to turn on Mowbray like a spoilt brat if we dont

Such a disingenuous post. Today’s result was Mowbray’s decision and his alone.

• Backroom

I understand people being upset and feeling like the manager's ambitions haven't matched their own today. Particularly those who went to the game. It's a little disappointing.

On the other hand Mowbray had two competitive games left to see who should and should not be trusted to step up next season. This game will have answered some of those questions. Armstrong had a fantastic start with us but has only scored 2 in the last 7 matches and couldn't score today either, so that's 2 in 8. Is he going to be good enough for first team Championship football next season? I'm not sure. It didn't work out for him at Bolton. Maybe still worth bringing in as back up but not sure he's going to be first team quality at Championship level. Certainly not if Mowbray keeps playing him as an inside forward/winger. 

Samuel hasn't scored since 3rd December. Not even good enough as back up imo. He might be half decent at holding it up but he's a striker. If he isn't scoring he isn't doing enough. Still not convinced by Bell although we haven't seen a great deal of him in fairness. Smallwood and Evans cannot be our centre midfield pairing next season either for me. Just about functioning in this league but we need more next season. It goes without saying Caddis is not good enough even as a squad member. Payne has raw talent but hasn't been a game changer for us at this level, so it's very unlikely he'll be of any use next season. I don't expect him to come back.

We know Dack and Graham are the fulcrum of the team and I hope they'll both be here next season. They'll need a better supporting cast though and that's what Mowbray needs to explain to Venky's - judging from his interviews this week it sounds like he already knows this though.

Just now, Stuart said:

Such a disingenuous post. Today’s result was Mowbray’s decision and his alone.

So the opposition is irrelevant? You do realise we’ve broken records for away wins this season don’t you?

Archived