BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

Just now, Stuart said:

Such a disingenuous post. Today’s result was Mowbray’s decision and his alone.

Well let's add that decision to all of the ones he has made in the past year to get us promoted shall we !?  ?

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the game at Rovers. 

first half it was very poor game and Charlton very lucky to score and not a good side. 

Second half we were the best team and played some good stuff. Smallwood was our best player. Samuel also had a good game. 

But the main thing we are going up to the championship and that's all that matters. not this rubbish I've read about people complaining about us not going for the league title. Doesn't it really matter? not one bit

Just now, AlanK said:

Well let's add that decision to all of the ones he has made in the past year to get us promoted shall we !?  ?

So like I said, the final two games of the season should be free as they don’t count now that we are up.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

s?If I wasn’t a season ticket holder and hadn’t already bought a ticket, I would NOT be going to watch the Oxford game. There is no point because we are now just going through the motions.

Really really disappointed with Mowbray today. He clearly does not care about the title. A win today would have all but secured it and he has stuck two fingers up to the fans and the U23s.

After last Tuesday the season might as well have ended. It’s fraud to sell any more tickets for matches because we aren’t event going to try.

Not convinced that he has what it takes for next season. The 10 game counter will be reset after next Saturday.

You don't have to go just because you've bought a bloody ticket.

You've been wrong about Mowbray all season, the sides ravaged by injury and players can't play, simple as that, it's got nowt to do with the manager.

We'll have over 20k on next week, one bitter moaning sod missing won't make the slightest difference.

Its a day to celebrate promotion, a phenomenal achievement under the circumstances of the past 7/8yrs.

The manager and players deserve our support.

Get a grip.

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

I understand people being upset and feeling like the manager's ambitions haven't matched their own today. Particularly those who went to the game. It's a little disappointing.

On the other hand Mowbray had two competitive games left to see who should and should not be trusted to step up next season. This game will have answered some of those questions. Armstrong had a fantastic start with us but has only scored 2 in the last 7 matches and couldn't score today either, so that's 2 in 8. Is he going to be good enough for first team Championship football next season? I'm not sure. It didn't work out for him at Bolton. Maybe still worth bringing in as back up but not sure he's going to be first team quality at Championship level. Certainly not if Mowbray keeps playing him as an inside forward/winger. 

Samuel hasn't scored since 3rd December. Not even good enough as back up imo. He might be half decent at holding it up but he's a striker. If he isn't scoring he isn't doing enough. Still not convinced by Bell although we haven't seen a great deal of him in fairness. Smallwood and Evans cannot be our centre midfield pairing next season either for me. Just about functioning in this league but we need more next season. It goes without saying Caddis is not good enough even as a squad member. Payne has raw talent but hasn't been a game changer for us at this level, so it's very unlikely he'll be of any use next season. I don't expect him to come back.

We know Dack and Graham are the fulcrum of the team and I hope they'll both be here next season. They'll need a better supporting cast though and that's what Mowbray needs to explain to Venky's - judging from his interviews this week it sounds like he already knows this though.

I think you're right about players, but lets be honest we all know caddis and samuel arent good enough. We know the Canadian keeper will always be a backup. We know Whittingham is past it. We know downing probably isn't good enough for the championship. If he played all the young lads from the title winning u23 id have had no problem whatsoever, but we all know who the dollopers are in this squad and the ones who aren't good enough for championship football. 

• Backroom
Just now, AAK said:

I think you're right about players, but lets be honest we all know caddis and samuel arent good enough. We know the Canadian keeper will always be a backup. We know Whittingham is past it. We know downing probably isn't good enough for the championship. If he played all the young lads from the title winning u23 id have had no problem whatsoever, but all know who the dollopers are in this squad and the ones who aren't good enough for championship football. 

Agreed that we know this, but Mowbray can't say he hasn't given these guys a chance. Particularly Samuel. He strikes me as a fair bloke and I think it would be important for him to feel he had given these lads a chance to prove themselves, whether we like it or not. 

Interesting that Gladwin was still nowhere to be seen though. Is he still injured? What a disappointment considering he was reportedly our most expensive signing of the season. Not going to be good enough for the Championship either imo. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

In case people missed it too, we still have a chance of winning the league. 

I reckon we will win and Wigan will draw 

Wigan did their best to help our Title bid today. We failed.

I doubt they will be so generous for 2 games running and Wigan only need a draw.

Everything coming from the Wigan camp shows they want the Title whilst everything from us says we don't care. That's the part I struggle with.

Promotion was the aim and achieved so off to the beach fellas.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In case people missed it too, we still have a chance of winning the league. 

I reckon we will win and Wigan will draw 

Then we won't go up mate, their gd is far superior 

• Backroom
40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't know how old you are Mike but the chances of us being so close to actually winning something may not come again in your lifetime. I can't understand players not wanting to play today unless they were really struggling. If they were one of the reasons would be we haven't had any faith in the young players who would be busting a gut to play.

As a said earlier, the older you get the more cautious you get, you are less likely to take a chance. Speaking from personal experience here.

26 going on 27.

I would genuinely have lived us to win the title. Slim chance we may. I remember the Worthy Cup win like it was yesterday, so I know winning feels great.

The bit in bold was key for me in believing many of our stars are genuinely injured.

I'd rather use these games to use our squad and sort the wheat from the chaff. I would genuinely consider playing mostly u23s vs Oxford just to see what they can do (and would've preferred we did that today).

I'm from Darwen, I'm used to settling for second best :P

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Wigan did their best to help our Title bid today. We failed.

I doubt they will be so generous for 2 games running and Wigan only need a draw.

Everything coming from the Wigan camp shows they want the Title whilst everything from us says we don't care. That's the part I struggle with.

Promotion was the aim and achieved so off to the beach fellas.

Charlton away was always going to be tough and it sound alike we should have gotten at least a draw. Players were injured so we made changes 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The 10 game counter wont be reset and most fans are very happy with him as manager so stop posting so much rubbish please Stuart

I knew it couldn’t last. :rolleyes:

My game counter starts when I say, not you champ.

Just now, AdamRochina said:

I got told off for mentioning signing Sunderland players when it's the first time I've ever said it .. you pompous little creature chaddy.. @#/?ing done with this site and the pathetic people that occupie it

Don't paint us all with the same brush Adam

I'm not too cheesed off about today as long as Mowbray takes something away from it. Clear observations from the game which reflect most of this season:

- Samuel can't be trusted as our main goal threat in a game

- Travis should be starting in midfield over Evans

- We need a new right back

- Jack Payne isn't pulling up any trees and shouldn't be a transfer target for us in the Championship

I’m as disappointed as the next man after today’s defeat and hard earned outlay, but don’t understand the overreaction on here. We were far the superior team in the second half for me and save for some poor finishing and good keeping we would have comfortably got a draw, at least.

Only gripe from me is his reluctance to blood some youngsters from the off; plain as day that Caddis as an example is not up to it, yet Travis only gets 20 mins at the end when we’re chasing the game. Also plain as day that Samuel isn’t going to score in a month of Sunday’s. We lacked a real cutting edge today and it’s further evidence that we need to bring in a couple of real goal threats over the course of the summer to help out Dack and Graham.

The title is gone now as Wigan won’t lose next weekend but the fans deserve a comfortable victory against Oxford to finish off a fine season.

A long and expensive day out to The Valley. I remember the Back to The Valley campaign and the ground being rebuilt. Surprised by how dated it looks, concrete all over the place, etc. 

We had a great chat with a couple of Charlton fans on the train from London Bridge. Basically an our owner is worse than yours exchange!!

Im prepared to accept players are injured and if they are there is no point in risking them at the end of the season. Long term injury picked up today could cause us problems in August. 

Im disappointed we lost but it was typical of our recent performances. Poor one half much better the next. I don’t think the team or the manager have given up, it’s pretty much what we have seen since Christmas. The question in my mind was how on earth we got wound up to play with the intensity we showed at Doncaster? It can only be everyone believed that game was our best chance from the last three. 

Caddis looked like he was turning out for an over 50s pub side. As a professional footballer he should at least control his weight. Samuel was better than usual but still not good enough. He shouldn’t stay. Thought Travis and Whittingham looked good together. I’m worried by Armstrong, we know he can do it but for the last few games nothing is happening for him. 

Charlton scored a scabby goal, without Dack we struggle and today it showed. Hopefully Doncaster beat Wigan and we get the chance for a title winning celebration. It can still happen but we missed a real opportunity today against a poor Charlton side. 

1 hour ago, AlanK said:

I would like to see us win the title as much as anyone but I'm not going to turn on Mowbray like a spoilt brat if we dont

Agree totally with that comment...

...BUT with just two games to go and a chance of going up as Champions I would have personally rested no one!

QUE SERA SERA!:rover:

Archived