BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

• Backroom
Just now, alcd said:

It appears that Gladwin has a knee injury that an op has failed to rectify. However he looked like a dolloper even before that surfaced. Along with Caddis, Whittingham and Evans he will be deadweight in the squad for the Championship.

I remember the knee injury issues, but I'm sure I read that he was hoping to be available for the end of the season. Seemingly not. Not sure we'll be able to get rid of him or any of the others you've just listed either, which is a bit worrying. There's going to be a fair bit of wages tied up there. 

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some absolutely ridiculous criticism of Mowbray.  I think a fair bit of common sense is in order.  Dack has clearly been off the boil since he was taken off 10mins into the game the other week and had hamstring issues earlier in the season.  Bennett has absolutely run his nads off and stamped them into the ground, Williams has looked very fatigued, Raya, a young keeper, has been under massive mental pressure and been clawing balls away from every part of the goal and it transpires that Conway has a broken foot - would the sulkers and stroppers prefer they all sustained long-term injuries now that the only job that matters has been done??  

We dragged ourselves over the line this last few weeks - mission accompished. As a supporter I've felt nervous and mentally shattered at times - God knows how it must be to be right in the thick of it.  In my opinion, to win the Pie and Pea League would be much less a priority than having a fit squad ready and raring to go for pre season.  The fans have more than had their money's worth out of Mowbray's boys this season. He's picked up the scraps and thankfully, we've got a manager who has started a proper rebuild, players who give a shit, a club with a heart and a landslide majority of very satisfied supporters.

Enjoy it.

32 minutes ago, DE. said:

Not sure we'll be able to get rid of him or any of the others you've just listed either, which is a bit worrying. There's going to be a fair bit of wages tied up there. 

Get him out on loan to Sunderland and we take paddy mcnair instead....

Bit shocked if caddis is on a two year deal, like I said earlier he'd be in with a fighting chance of being ok if he actually looked like an athlete. I know he's been back up but if he can't get and keep himself 100% fit he deserves booting out can't be doing with unprofessional gits like that no matter what league they are still paid thousands per week to be athletes.

If he's staying they want to give him a weight target for next season and tell him not to come in if he doesn't hit it and maintain it, oh and every week you don't come in because of it we'll deduct wages !

Set the bar high.

Today's team selection, performance and result were, IMO, entirely predictable.

A couple of my friends and wives spent some significant money going down for the weekend and they are seriously miffed about what went on today.

Yes, promotion achieved but today could be perceived as being disrespectful to the 3,000+ who made the trip with their hard earned brass.

Said all along we should have walked this league and I'll say again, next season we are in real trouble without major investment.  I think our decent players can be counted on one hand.

Is Mowbray the man for next season is debateable - who knows, he might even walk to where he thinks the grass is even greener!

Enjoy it whilst you can, it might just prove to be short lived.

The only strikers/ offensive wide players under contract for next season are Dack, Samual, Nuttall and Bennett (though he is more of a utility player) and Graham with a one year option. TM has an awful lot to do to build an offensive side to the squad capable of thriving in the Championship.

Must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the day out today.  The team was as expected as Mowbray had said earlier in the week that those players who had been playing with knocks and injuries wouldn't play today.  No point risking long term injuries when you don't need to - the Charlton lad looks to have picked up a bad injury to a knock which, according the Charlton fans, he was already carrying through games.  I thought we were unfortunate not to pick up at least a point today, particularly as their goal had more than a piece of good fortune about it and considering it started from a free-kick which ought to have been given to us rather than Charlton.  I must admit that I rather hope Charlton do well in the play-offs, it's a very friendly, family orientated club rather like ourselves.  The result today can't take the shine off what has been a terrific season following the Rovers away from home.

5 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

If certain regulars couldn't play, it was a perfect chance for Mowbray to see what the youngsters could do. Surely?

Once again this raises questions about TM ability or willingness to bring on what everyone agrees, constitutes the best crop we have had for years.

Doubtless I'll be accused of slagging him off and people will remind me we've been promoted (as if I've forgotten). Tm has done an amazing job after such a poor start but

the hard work hasn't been achieved, its still to come. If we don't play these lads other teams will.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Clitherover said:

Shrewsbury's attendance was decent, do they even get that at home? ?

Last away day of the season and it was at Blackpool, imagine they saw that as a fun weekend!

I’ve just read through this thread after being out all day and can’t believe what I’ve read. 

I know that I didn’t travel down to London (due to family circumstances I didn’t even make it to Ewood for the beamback) and maybe if I had I’d feel differently, but the criticism of Mowbray and the players today seems completely OTT. 

I was trying to think what I wanted to put in reply to it all and then I read Rich Sharpe from the LT on twitter and he pretty much says what I want to, so I’ll just quote him:

“Breaking down #Rovers' team today it had four players called up by their national squads in March, the left-back in the PFA L1 team of the year, two Premier League loanees, an ever-present in Smallwood and a total of 377 combined appearances this season. 

So while it wasn't their strongest side, it was far from a scratch XI. They lost to a fluke goal away from home at the side fifth in the division. Leutwiler had one save to make all game and an improved second half showing came within inches of getting a point.

A possible feeling of opportunity missed given Wigan dropping points, but Rovers have an outside chance of the title going in to the final day which everyone would have taken thinking back to that defeat at Oldham in October.”

Also, for all those claiming that today shows Rovers lack the ambition to try and win the title, I guess the same must also be true of Wigan who have only managed to draw their last two games since getting promoted (arguably easier games than we’ve had too). Or maybe, just maybe, the hard slog that both sides have put into achieving their number 1 aim has taken it’s toll on them mentally and physically and so there’s a slight, natural, decline in performance for these games which, lets be honest, aren’t as important as the ones which went before. 

Well I've just got back from Charlton, read through this thread and can't believe half the posts. Get a fecking grip.

Yeh, ideally we could have picked a stronger team but I would say that despite all else, Rovers were superb today , to the last man, they all gave 120% and we should be proud. Arguably, I would go as far as to say it was our best away performance of the season.

You could be critical of certain individuals but the general endeavour and intensity was something to be proud of with a 'weakened' team.

With the rub of the green, a half decent referee, more composure and a stroke of luck, Rovers could have won 5 or 6 to 1 today!

Although we lost and we all questioned the team selection, Rovers' effort and endeavour, if at times perhaps misdirected at times, ought to be commended.

Travis, when he came on was fantastic.

5 hours ago, alcd said:

Caddis was woeful and looked like a ringer from the Dog & Duck Sunday League. Travis did more in the 20mins he was allowed than the tubby grey balding showed in the previous 70. We are absolutely screwed if he's given game time in the Championship.

I agree regarding Caddis. The lad tried hard but so would I ! he's a pub player and the 'joke' amongst us was that he looked as if he'd put a stone on in the half time interval!

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Today's team selection, performance and result were, IMO, entirely predictable.

A couple of my friends and wives spent some significant money going down for the weekend and they are seriously miffed about what went on today.

Yes, promotion achieved but today could be perceived as being disrespectful to the 3,000+ who made the trip with their hard earned brass.

Said all along we should have walked this league and I'll say again, next season we are in real trouble without major investment.  I think our decent players can be counted on one hand.

Is Mowbray the man for next season is debateable - who knows, he might even walk to where he thinks the grass is even greener!

Enjoy it whilst you can, it might just prove to be short lived.

Mercer, I presume the wives knew what colours Rovers play in?

!48 Darweners that I was with (so don't harp on about cost)  were miffed at the team selection but fully understood the reasons why and thought that the efforts of those in the blue and white halves fully deserved to win.

I'm not sure any of the remaining 3,000 fans at The Valley thought they were shortchanged and I find your post totally disrespectful and ill informed.

I can see both sides of the argument about team selection. At the Southend game, Dack went off after 10 minutes with his hamstring. It looked serious then and hasn't looked fit in every game since then. He shouldn't have played the week after against Gillingham so that one was understandable.

Williams came off against Peterboro early. Seeing that he had played every minute of the season until that point that one must be an injury. Graham has deserved a rest as he has played most games of the run. Conwy has a broken bone in his foot. With the way he has been running all season he most have had it all season.

So now that the main objective has been acheived I can see why those 4 changes have been made. I can also see that Mowbray wanted to experiment in game time with his beloved 3-4-1-2 formation. I suspect we'll see it again on Saturday.

What I cannot see is what was achieved by playing Caddis unless it was to finally convince Mr Mowbray that he is not up to the task.

Mowbray was giventhe task to get us promoted and he has achieved this. He probably will be getting paid a bonus for this so his job is done but I also agree with Stuart that we may have gone up despite Mowbray not because of him.  

Back in October, many thought this promotion was impossible, even when we lost to Plymouth many thought we cocked it up. Even the other week when we drew to Bristol Rovers people thought it was all over we were in the play offs. Lets enjoy the promotion and take the League One title as a bonus.

As a Man U fan said, "Having League 1 Champions" on your roll of honour just reminds you that you were bad enough to be in it to start with. I for one want to forget this season happened at all. A quiet promotion will do nicely.

I can understand the changes with the injuries, only question mark being Caddis. It was still some team that played.

disagree though on avoiding the tag of being Lge 1 champions. Any honours will be welcome in the records and also the individual CVs of players. Heck, I am sure the young players would be delighted with the U23 Div2 champions tag. Not sure if the players would have match win or match appearance bonuses. Anyhow, can’t blame the players if the manager says that the job is done. Imagine your boss saying “right lads, the project’s main objective has been accomplished.” The pressure and weight would have been lifted significantly, foot off the paddle and all that. Might have been different if TM then said “now for the title”. Whatever it is, in Mowbray we trust this season.

having said the above though, the second half was enjoyable and we almost nicked a goal or two. Let’s see how Oxford pans out. Looking forward to next season.

Taken in isolation yesterday was disappointing to me because we lost a game but in the context of the season it didn't seem as bad as the other defeats. It would have been really good to go into next week as favourites for the title with a win. We were poor in the first half but really livened up when Travis came on. His energy, willingness to run with the ball and tackling gave us something we don't really have with the regular two. Without getting too far ahead it also told me that the squad isn't nearly good enough for the Championship but that's for another day.

Oh and another fact is that 50% of the games were we have started with three at the back we have lost. That tells me a lot.

My takeaway apart from another birthday messed up by an away fixture at the Valley:

- it appears we gave at least as good as we got playing with nothing to play for with half a reserve side against desperate play-off wannabes

- luck ran out in a game we would have won on our recent runs

-big takeaway is a huge yelp of relief that this mega-injury list struck now and not say, five games ago! Imagine only being able to pick from the players available yesterday for the whole of April... 

5 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Well I've just got back from Charlton, read through this thread and can't believe half the posts. Get a fecking grip.

Yeh, ideally we could have picked a stronger team but I would say that despite all else, Rovers were superb today , to the last man, they all gave 120% and we should be proud. Arguably, I would go as far as to say it was our best away performance of the season.

You could be critical of certain individuals but the general endeavour and intensity was something to be proud of with a 'weakened' team.

With the rub of the green, a half decent referee, more composure and a stroke of luck, Rovers could have won 5 or 6 to 1 today!

Although we lost and we all questioned the team selection, Rovers' effort and endeavour, if at times perhaps misdirected at times, ought to be commended.

Travis, when he came on was fantastic.

You're putting my argument for me! "Travis, when he came on was fantastic"

But he was only allowed 20 minutes of fantasticalness! Get it?

Archived