BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

Just now, 47er said:

Why couldn't he start then?

Mowbray doesn’t trust the youth lads. Not even for (from his own perspective) a dead rubber.

If he doesn’t think they are good enough for L1 then he certainly won’t pick any in the Championship.

Small changes yesterday like Travis instead of Caddis, Bennett instead of Evans, Graham instead of Samuel would have made a world of difference. What exactly where the last two being rested for?

Whenever Mowbray has strayed from the formula this season we have struggled - yet he keeps insisting on making changes.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely its time for the youth to be tested with injuries in the squad . also I thinkTony needs to experiment outside the formula to strengthen the squad .

I cant see us winning the title now , just happy to be out of a league we should never have been near in the first place.

we need players who can  make a game of it when injuries hit , if they cant do it in the div 1 its looking bleak for the championship .  

if they are not strong enough as players to win a match in a diffrent formula and set up can they be regarded as professionals'??

Tony has done a great job and I hope he can lead us back to a team and squad we can be proud of .

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Taken in isolation yesterday was disappointing to me because we lost a game but in the context of the season it didn't seem as bad as the other defeats. It would have been really good to go into next week as favourites for the title with a win. We were poor in the first half but really livened up when Travis came on. His energy, willingness to run with the ball and tackling gave us something we don't really have with the regular two. Without getting too far ahead it also told me that the squad isn't nearly good enough for the Championship but that's for another day.

Oh and another fact is that 50% of the games were we have started with three at the back we have lost. That tells me a lot.

we started playing straight from the second half with that Smallwood run and shot. 

I disagree on whether this squad is good enough for Championship as majority are.. with 6 or 7 good signings we will end up in mid table in the league

why also are blaming the formation when it had nothing to do with the lost? I watched the full game at Ewood Park and didn't miss any minute of action. 

Lets not forget that ref miss blatant red card for a Charlton player when Samuel was through and was tackling without getting the ball. notice that some people at game might have miss this?

47 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

I've been quite impressed with Travis every time I have seen him this season... he could be a player 

agreed. I think he will be part of most match day squad next season

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray doesn’t trust the youth lads. Not even for (from his own perspective) a dead rubber.

If he doesn’t think they are good enough for L1 then he certainly won’t pick any in the Championship.

Small changes yesterday like Travis instead of Caddis, Bennett instead of Evans, Graham instead of Samuel would have made a world of difference. What exactly where the last two being rested for?

Whenever Mowbray has strayed from the formula this season we have struggled - yet he keeps insisting on making changes.

Graham has been playing at times every game recently and so I can understand him not starting. 

Dack, Raya and Conway wont play next Saturday game and After reading and listening to Mowbray's post match interviews I would be surprise if Williams and Bennett play next Saturday. Both wont train. 

Mowbray doesn't play Travis at right back/wing back but in centre midfield. That's his best position

Mowbray does trust the youth lads but lets not forget that promotion was the aim for the season and he deliver. Travis came on yesterday before Whittingham. so don't forget that.

Mowbray should by Raya all season when some people wanted a change in the nets, and he was right to do so as Raya was in the EFL team of the year.

we didn't struggle yesterday Stuart so why do you keep repeating this line tho? 

Just now, meadows said:

We already have it on our roll of honour and I’d be pleased to have it again. I think a lot of people will remember this season with great affection as long as they live from eight year olds now to senior citizens

Our history seldom throws up repeated triumphs except in the very early days

Anything won at Football is to be savoured 

I know I said it tongue in cheek.

Still a poor division that I wished we'd never been in. In time we will forget the quality of the division.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We lost.

Did you see the game Stuart?

Lost and struggle are 2 different words. You said we struggle. But we didnt. Charlton had 2 shots all game. 1 each half.

We had a number of good chances second half. Samuel hit the bar, Smallwood shot and Payne shot. Plus a clear red card for a charlton player when Samuel was through on goal(see Mowbray comments)

Just checked BBC Sport and Sky Sports and shot stats are charlton had 1(1 on target) shot all game whlist we had 6 shots(3 on target).

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Stuart has said we struggle which isnt true. 

So in your opinion, we played really well and still lost? Better.

And yes, I saw the game just as you did.

We did struggle and we only came alive when we brought on Travis and Graham. Too little too late.

Just now, Stuart said:

So in your opinion, we played really well and still lost? Better.

And yes, I saw the game just as you did.

We did struggle and we only came alive when we brought on Travis and Graham. Too little too late.

1st half we were poor but so were Charlton. 

Second half we played well and deserve a point at least.

Charlton were poor and need to thank Amos for keeping them in the game. Wasnt their Keeper Amos man of the match? Dont know how Charlton are top 6 either

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we started playing straight from the second half with that Smallwood run and shot. 

I disagree on whether this squad is good enough for Championship as majority are.. with 6 or 7 good signings we will end up in mid table in the league

why also are blaming the formation when it had nothing to do with the lost? I watched the full game at Ewood Park and didn't miss any minute of action. 

Lets not forget that ref miss blatant red card for a Charlton player when Samuel was through and was tackling without getting the ball. notice that some people at game might have miss this?

Graham has been playing at times every game recently and so I can understand him not starting. 

Dack, Raya and Conway wont play next Saturday game and After reading and listening to Mowbray's post match interviews I would be surprise if Williams and Bennett play next Saturday. Both wont train. 

Mowbray doesn't play Travis at right back/wing back but in centre midfield. That's his best position

Mowbray does trust the youth lads but lets not forget that promotion was the aim for the season and he deliver. Travis came on yesterday before Whittingham. so don't forget that.

Mowbray should by Raya all season when some people wanted a change in the nets, and he was right to do so as Raya was in the EFL team of the year.

I just knew you would come back about the formation. The facts don't lie and it isn't a coincidence that we have lost three games when starting this formation.

We improved massively when Travis and he brought something different offensively.

Six or seven players would constitute a pretty big overhaul of the squad in my opinion. And most of these should hit the ground running.

I have realy enjoyed this season away ,and Charlton like many games this season as proved to have its upps and downs .

We arrived the night before and started the celebrations early as for us thats all it was going to be a day to relax ,chill out and soak up the atmosphere  ,yes we wanted them to put on a show and win,i  personaly would have liked TM to say he was not giving up on the titile and just had the winning mentality as it could have been in our hands on Saturday...as it stands we actualy still do it ..Funny feeling that could just happen .

We had an idea that changes were going to be made but as with others the baffaling decission to play Caddis was one we just couldnt work out ,and this was from two ex Pro players i was with ,other than to say to the owners that we have not got strength in depth ,totaly baffled us..Anyway big plus was that to me RS got MOM even though at times he looked deflated ...Also nice to have a bit of time with Richies Dad lovely man who looked like he also had a good day ...On the final game at Oxford and who knows in Football we may just sneak that title ....

Just now, arbitro said:

I just knew you would come back about the formation. The facts don't lie and it isn't a coincidence that we have lost three games when starting this formation.

We improved massively when Travis and he brought something different offensively.

Six or seven players would constitute a pretty big overhaul of the squad in my opinion. And most of these should hit the ground running.

Six or 7 new signings is what needed. Not a big overhaul as that IMO would 12 or 13 new players which happened last season..

Yesterday the formation wasnt the problem. We conceded a deflected goal..very lucky. 

But you have overlooked when we switch to that formation we picked up a point against Oldham and away win at Portsmouth. You seen to forget this

Bit of an overreaction on the lineup I feel. If some of those players have been carrying injuries I would certainly understand resting them to prevent them getting worse/ give them time to heal. We need these players ready for the Championship.

My only thought about the lineup was Caddis being put in instead of Travis who by all accounts was excellent when he came on. Should start our final game and definitely be more involved in the first team squad next season.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Six or 7 new signings is what needed. Not a big overhaul as that IMO would 12 or 13 new players which happened last season..

Yesterday the formation wasnt the problem. We conceded a deflected goal..very lucky. 

But you have overlooked when we switch to that formation we picked up a point against Oldham and away win at Portsmouth. You seen to forget this

That's why I said started with that formation if you read the post properly.

1 hour ago, meadows said:

Anything won at Football is to be savoured 

Absolutely bang on with that meadows.  Days like Tuesday, and yesterday, when we can come together as supporters to celebrate at the end of a long hard season don't come along all that often for clubs like the Rovers and, as you say, are to be savoured and stored in the memory bank.

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I watched the game at Rovers. 

first half it was very poor game and Charlton very lucky to score and not a good side. 

Second half we were the best team and played some good stuff. Smallwood was our best player. Samuel also had a good game. 

But the main thing we are going up to the championship and that's all that matters. not this rubbish I've read about people complaining about us not going for the league title. Doesn't it really matter? not one bit

I can tell that you didnt make the effort to go down judging by this disrespectful comment.

Of course it matters. Its not like the difference between 13th and 14th is it?

Yes, promotion is the main priority, but how often do we get the chance to win a league? 

Sadly, from Mowbrays comments he doesnt seem arsed about it either. He should be, hes done a good job and I say that to ensure im not misquoted,  but as an individual criticism, seeing the title as nothing to be concerned about is not what I want to see at all.

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

Today's team selection, performance and result were, IMO, entirely predictable.

A couple of my friends and wives spent some significant money going down for the weekend and they are seriously miffed about what went on today.

Yes, promotion achieved but today could be perceived as being disrespectful to the 3,000+ who made the trip with their hard earned brass.

Said all along we should have walked this league and I'll say again, next season we are in real trouble without major investment.  I think our decent players can be counted on one hand.

Is Mowbray the man for next season is debateable - who knows, he might even walk to where he thinks the grass is even greener!

Enjoy it whilst you can, it might just prove to be short lived.

Totally agree with the feeling of being slightly short changed.

However, the line in bold is a massive exaggeration. He definitely deserves to be manager next season, cant argue otherwise.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think its time to give up on this 3 at the back, we always seem to look a lot worse playing it, the first half in particular we looked so fractured and lacking in fluidity, we always seem more boring to watch, experiment failed, back to 4-2-3-1 please.

I've said before, I dont feel it suits a few of our players, it doesnt suit Dack as it would mean he would probably have to come inside from the left, dont think it suits Mulgrew either if Williams plays (obviously he didnt yesterday) but overall the system and tactic makes us more slow and ponderous, and by the time the ball is in a good position the other team are organised and set and we struggle to break them down.

In general, must say that although I enjoyed a lot of the day, Mowbrays attitude and comments during the week about no one remembering the title winner made yesterdays non-performance one of a certain inevitability, and I found it incredibly frustrating, if we had won wed be top going in to the final day. It IS important, albeit not as much so as promotion but thats sealed, they are going on holiday after next Saturday, they can recover then.

Caddis looked miles out of his depth, what are we learning putting him in at wing back for his first game in ages, we know he wont be a good Championship player, I felt a bit sorry for him in a way, if Bennett really wasnt fit, then youd have to play Travis in a position he plays regularly.

Also, why was Payne mainly in the middle yesterday? Very strange.

Samuel provides no goal threat and is nowhere near good enough for next season.

Im wary of peoples individual justified criticism of yesterday being taken out of context, dont get me wrong hes done the job he set out to do but yesterday I feel with the attitude he portrated that hes let the 3000 fans down.

I think the issue of ‘why didn’t he pick loads of the u23’s?’ isn’t quite that straight forward. 

We won promotion on Tuesday. The players then had Wednesday and Thursday off, by all accounts, so that only leaves Friday to train and work on formations etc.

I don’t know exactly how things work down at Brockhall, but I imagine that the u23’s don’t all train with the first team and so trying to integrate a whole load of them into the team, in only 1 day, may not really have been feasible. 

That said, Travis has been in and around the first team and I would have liked to have seen him instead of Caddis - although TM seems to prefer him in midfield.

The only other one could have been Nuttall, but I’ve not been convinced by him in his first team appearances and so I think playing Samuel, and giving him the opportunity to try and regain some confidence before next season, was probably the right call. 

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Absolutely bang on with that meadows.  Days like Tuesday, and yesterday, when we can come together as supporters to celebrate at the end of a long hard season don't come along all that often for clubs like the Rovers and, as you say, are to be savoured and stored in the memory bank.

Couldn't get to either Doncaster or Charlton games . Was away in Devon for work till late Friday night. Son was at his mums. Partner back home in East Lancs.  Felt pretty lonely down there, 260 miles away from the fun on my own. 

Next Saturday we are having a full family get together promotion party (possibly Title party!) and intend on celebrating fully and heartily, with about 7 or 8 of us spending the day together and at Ewood.

These things don't come around very often so enjoy them all you can when they do.  

Just back home having stayed overnight Rovers were unlucky but I am not too worried, it would have been nice to nick a draw even a win but alcohol induced we turned London blue and white and with various football fans from other teams around we were more than well received wherever we went.

got to say I enjoyed the banter with charlton fans on the railway station hark back to old times no violence threats or intimidation just good old banter as that is what rovers fans are about or the majority are!

Roll on Saturday then it’s a summer of walking relaxing holidaying and chilling

In the case of Caddis and this is purely speculation on my part, Mowbray could have already told Caddis that he won't be part of his plans next season and is giving him game time now promotion is secured to see if it will help get him fixed up for next season. I really can't see Caddis being in the match day squads next season.Caddis could actually be decent if he got fit, he isn't bad on the ball but he is no way fit enough to be Championship standard 

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

A promotion like Tuesday is one reason to celebrate. A subsequent title would have been two. Two reasons to celebrate would have been far better than one don't you think Parson? As well as he has done this season I really don't understand the indifference of the manager to the possibility of winning the title. As another poster said, how often Do we have the chance to win a League of any description? It's an extremely rare event and should be embraced not ignored.

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I can tell that you didnt make the effort to go down

No I didnt go due to family reasons. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think its time to give up on this 3 at the back, we always seem to look a lot worse playing it, the first half in particular we looked so fractured and lacking in fluidity, we always seem more boring to watch, experiment failed, back to 4-2-3-1 please.

I've said before, I dont feel it suits a few of our players, it doesnt suit Dack as it would mean he would probably have to come inside from the left, dont think it suits Mulgrew either if Williams plays

Also, why was Payne mainly in the middle yesterday? Very strange.

Samuel provides no goal threat and is nowhere near good enough for next season.

Why give up on a formation thats does work? 

Dack playing behind 2 strikers does work tho?

Payne played like a false 9 role with Samuel and Armstrong wide strikers. Samuel makena couple of good runs in behind. 

Samuel provide no goal threat? Didnt he hit the bar and was foul when clean through or didnt u see it?

Archived