BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

Just now, 47er said:

i honestly don't think he played Caddis to get him off our wage bill. if he did its back-fired eh?

I'm not asking you to believe it like I said it was pure speculation on my part.I didn't even say I believe it myself looking for reasoning as to why he would start Caddis and with Mowbray saying in a recent interview about having discussions with players that won't be involved next year and trying to help fix them up with another club then I think it's plausable that the fringe players may get game time to attract interest.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

So are you saying that the players weren't injured?

I can't understand how the majority of players who were out on Saturday can suddenly be injured without showing any apparent signs of said injuries recently. They all sprinted back onto the pitch at Doncaster after playing a tough ninety minutes on a heavy pitch. I'm not implying some aren't carrying minor knocks but they have been for weeks and it hasn't been to their detriment or the team's. I could accept resting them due to fatigue, give other players game time or look at different formations but to get an injury crisis now just doesn't stack up to me.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I can't understand how the majority of players who were out on Saturday can suddenly be injured without showing any apparent signs of said injuries recently. They all sprinted back onto the pitch at Doncaster after playing a tough ninety minutes on a heavy pitch. I'm not implying some aren't carrying minor knocks but they have been for weeks and it hasn't been to their detriment or the team's. I could accept resting them due to fatigue, give other players game time or look at different formations but to get an injury crisis now just doesn't stack up to me.

Showing no signs of injury recently? Hasn't been to the detriment of the team?

I read your match posts regularly and you yourself have said we've not been at the races for weeks, I've seen we've not been at the races for weeks, obviously injury has played a part Arbitro, it must have.

Any manager worth his salt doesn't play injured/players with knocks once promotion is secured.

Yes I wanted to win the title, we still can which is lost in all the brfcshysteria, but I'd rather have fit players in August to start the new season.

Promotion is all that matters don't forget, it's been rammed down our throats on here all season. 

Just now, Gav said:

I read your match posts regularly and you yourself have said we've not been at the races for weeks, I've seen we've not been at the races for weeks, obviously injury has played a part Arbitro, it must have.

Any manager worth his salt doesn't play injured/players with knocks once promotion is secured.

Yes I wanted to win the title, we still can which is lost in all the brfcshysteria, but I'd rather have fit players in August to start the new season.

Promotion is all that matters don't forget, it's been rammed down our throats on here all season. 

We were all sick as a parrot when Huddersfield dumped on us, TM included. Can't have it both ways. No-one feel sorry for Plymouth or Scunthorpe? why not?

Just now, Gav said:

Not playing well has nothing to do with injuries or knocks. In every game this season the players have put in the hard yards and that includes last Tuesday. If you are injured you simply can't do that. If you have played any sport you should recognise that. We played awfully at Southend on the first day of the season but it wasn't down to injuries. 

Promotion was the objective so mission accomplished. Why then we can't push on for the title when it was clearly attainable is beyond my comprehension.

Just now, 47er said:

We were all sick as a parrot when Huddersfield dumped on us, TM included. Can't have it both ways. No-one feel sorry for Plymouth or Scunthorpe? why not?

There's a bit of a difference between us on Saturday and Huddersfield last season: they made 10 changes (unnecessary I would wager) and played like they really couldn't give a stuff, to our detriment.

We made 4 or 5 changes (necessary if we're to believe TM. Are we really questioning his honesty and integrity? He may have faults but absolutely not in that regard IMO).

In the second half on Saturday, how can anyone question the intention, determination and effort that Rovers weren't going for the win? Every last man of the 11 bust an absolute gut and we lost because of a scabby goal, an inept refereeing performance, not to mention not having the rub of the green on the day. How did the header that hit the underside of the bar bounce away for a goal kick?

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Not playing well has nothing to do with injuries or knocks. In every game this season the players have put in the hard yards and that includes last Tuesday. If you are injured you simply can't do that. If you have played any sport you should recognise that. We played awfully at Southend on the first day of the season but it wasn't down to injuries. 

Promotion was the objective so mission accomplished. Why then we can't push on for the title when it was clearly attainable is beyond my comprehension.

It has everything to do with injuries and knocks, especially Dack. What other reason did Mowbray have for not playing Dack do you think? Just gave him the day off with full pay?

Ledley King and Paul Mcgrath played entire careers with injuries, did the hard yards, and so did many more.

Dissapointing for the fans that went, I get that, but I'm sure you had a good time anyway and deservedly so for the miles you've put in.

48 minutes ago, arbitro said:

So you calling Mowbray still a liar for saying those 5 players are injured?

Isnt Dack going for a scan today? He been injured since the Gillingham away game. 

So do you have evidence that these werent injured? And calling our best manager in years an liar? Which isnt Mowbray or his style is it. Always been honest and open with fans from day 1. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is it all that matters? Just because you seem to have a disregard for our club winning a trophy, doesnt make it right. No one said he should have played unfit players but he shouldnt be implying that winning silverware is irrelevant, because to most fans its not.

I wasnt born when that happened but im sure that the team that won it remembers winning it.

Really? No one on is calling Mowbray a liar. Really? 

We get sliverware for 2nd. But we achieve what the target was promotion. Why all the negative comments? The season target was achieved. I would gave Mowbray a new long term contract

Just now, Gav said:

It has everything to do with injuries and knocks, especially Dack. What other reason did Mowbray have for not playing Dack do you think? Just gave him the day off with full pay?

Ledley King and Paul Mcgrath played entire careers with injuries, did the hard yards, and so did many more.

If you are injured you simply cannot play professional sport. King and McGrath didn't train as hard during the weeks so they would be fit for Saturday. Dack hasn't looked fit for weeks but the likes of Bennett and Williams have really worked hard.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

So you calling Mowbray still a liar for saying those 5 players are injured?

Isnt Dack going for a scan today? He been injured since the Gillingham away game. 

So do you have evidence that these werent injured? And calling our best manager in years an liar? Which isnt Mowbray or his style is it. Always been honest and open with fans from day 1. 

This is like Grounhog Day with you. You asked me this yesterday. Managers tell fibs like Wenger when he said he hadn't seen something and he actually had. Do you have evidence that they were injured?

Christ alive are you still all talking about this? I’m sure everyone knows where each other stands on the issue now.

Apologies for derailing the discussion somewhat but felt I had to mention how absolutely immense Smallwood was on Saturday.

He was everywhere, ran himself into the ground as usual and got stuck in like a warrior but his passing, composure, attacking, positive intent and control over the game was absolutely top notch.

I think he can surprise a few in the Championship, and Travis looked an ideal partner for him too.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Christ alive are you still all talking about this? I’m sure everyone knows where each other stands on the issue now.

Apologies for derailing the discussion somewhat but felt I had to mention how absolutely immense Smallwood was on Saturday.

He was everywhere, ran himself into the ground as usual and got stuck in like a warrior but his passing, composure, attacking, positive intent and control over the game was absolutely top notch.

I think he can surprise a few in the Championship, and Travis looked an ideal partner for him too.

I thought Smallwood was as good as he has been for months. It was almost like the shackles were off and he was flying into tackles, getting blocks in and making a few surging runs. With Travis in there with him we moved up another level I thought and played with pace and direction.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

This is like Grounhog Day with you. You asked me this yesterday. Managers tell fibs like Wenger when he said he hadn't seen something and he actually had. Do you have evidence that they were injured?

Im not the one questioning the Manager's comments and calling him a liar. Dont believe he would ever lie to the fans..doesnt fit him as a person. I trust him 100% just like I did all season to get us promote and he delivered

Tho I agree JB this is boring as hell..

If we still needed the points for promotion he'd have made less changes, 'knocks' or otherwise and wouldn't have been playing 3 at the back.

We'd sealed promotion already so thought he'd try a few things, good for him, he'd earned the right to do so. 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Im not the one questioning the Manager's comments and calling him a liar. Dont believe he would ever lie to the fans..doesnt fit him as a person. I trust him 100% just like I did all season to get us promote and he delivered

Tho I agree JB this is boring as hell..

More fool you then .

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

If we still needed the points for promotion he'd have made less changes, 'knocks' or otherwise and wouldn't have been playing 3 at the back.

We didn't need them so thought he'd try a few things, good for him, he'd earned the right to do so. 

spot on

47 minutes ago, J*B said:

I think I speak for everyone when I say the following...

We're all bored to death of you lot arguing over whether players are injured or not. 

We're discussing Saturdays match in the match thread, nothing strange in that surely?

Maybe nip over the 'The Surrender' thread because I'm sure changing that title will have help alleviate the boredom/debate :rolleyes:

I think the main take-away should be that we have been extremely lucky that Graham, Dack and Bennett were fit for most of the season.

We'd have been lucky to make the play-offs without them.

Not sure if this is just me but i can't get my head round not wanting to go for the title.

At the start of the season as a footballer thats the aim  and also for any sportsman ,be the top of the pile No1 ,best in the leauge ,champions in your division .

Maybe things have changed since my day , i dont know but it was certainly there for the taking ..

Briefly just a couple of observations from Saturday...

We quite possibly arguably had our strongest defense playing, with Lenihan, Downing, Mulgrew & Bell, I'm not including Caddis as I am still unsure what he was doing on the pitch, some old man (29? really??) wandering around our right hand side. Anyway they were seldom troubled for the away team and provided a strong platform with the Canadian having little if anything to do, I really would like to see Bell having a regular run of matches at left back.

Smallwood was again full of energy and endeavour, as was Travis when he came on, another player who needs more match time in his best position. Payne is another one who might benefit from getting more time on the ball, I would prefer to see him in the centre of midfield, with him controlling play, certainly in preference to being the  target man up front as he was at times. 

Armstrong again looked a threat with his pace and movement, with Graham on up front from the start we would have scored at least one goal. Samuel, was again an enigma, he does have something, but he's still keeping it well hidden! His second touch is generally a tackle, but if he get's past that he does seem able to create chaos, I'd buy him a trampoline for the summer, to see if this might help him learn how to leap.

On the whole a match that we could and should have been won, or at the very least a point, a fluky deflected goal, seemed to send the Charlton fans home happy.

Final point, in all my years I've not been in three pubs which stopped serving at the outset of some minor exuberance and singing, I thought with these London types , they all loved a knees up and a sing song! 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? No one on is calling Mowbray a liar. Really? 

We get sliverware for 2nd. But we achieve what the target was promotion. Why all the negative comments? The season target was achieved. I would gave Mowbray a new long term contract

If they are they dont represent my views. The main problem is the attitude towards the title.

Stop going off on a tangent. Promotion achieved? Yes and great news worth celebrating.

The negative comments are totally justified about an isolated complaint seperate from promotion. Something Mowbray deserves praise and celebration for.

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

There's a bit of a difference between us on Saturday and Huddersfield last season: they made 10 changes (unnecessary I would wager) and played like they really couldn't give a stuff, to our detriment.

We made 4 or 5 changes (necessary if we're to believe TM. Are we really questioning his honesty and integrity? He may have faults but absolutely not in that regard IMO).

In the second half on Saturday, how can anyone question the intention, determination and effort that Rovers weren't going for the win? Every last man of the 11 bust an absolute gut and we lost because of a scabby goal, an inept refereeing performance, not to mention not having the rub of the green on the day. How did the header that hit the underside of the bar bounce away for a goal kick?

I'm familiar with the "My team right or wrong" mantra, I personally don't like it.

No-one, as far as I know has questioned the desire of anyone on the pitch to win the game.

You're off on a tangent there.

I'll do a Paul, I've said everything I want to say. I'll stop there.

Archived