• Charlie Mulgrew
    • Derrick Williams
    • Elliott Bennett
    • Richie Smallwood
    • Bradley Dack
    • Danny Graham
    • Other - Please specify in comments

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/18 at 23:00

Mulgrew and Dack are better footballers, more talented, but Elliot Bennett has become Mr Rovers. The fist pump is worth a few points in the voting alone. He always fronts up on social media ;win, lose or draw. 

It will be interesting to see who gets it, I'd say Dack will personally. Again, no way anyone could begrudge it to him. You could make a case for up to 5 players, it's great. I couldn't even bring myself to think about who was player of the year last season 

What makes a player of the season? Is there a criteria :)

Dack. He's been our spark and main man going forward all season, some great goals and assists.

Mulgrew's goals have been vital too and he's led by example, he'd be second. Bennett has played well this calendar year at both CM and RB (and has chipped in with a couple of goals too) and his attitude is exactly what you want, fully deserved MOM yesterday too, but first half of the season he didn't have much of an impact really.

Of the ones that have been here all season Smallwood, Dack, Mulgrew, Graham and Bennett have all made significant contributions. Nyambe's been good too, as have Downing and Raya at times.

I'm tempted to go Smallwood because he was playing well at the beginning of the season when the likes of Dack hadn't yet got going. He's struggled a bit since Christmas though and that booking situation play have played a part in that. Bennetts been brilliant too even though Rev doesn't know which one he is. Nyambe is a lot better at defending than people give him credit for.

Dack has obviously been a revelation.

But I'll give it Captain Marvel. His goal return for a defender is phenomenal and just watching him organise those around him and how they listen shows the respect he has. Top class player at this level and he's had a brilliant season. I'd love him to lift the championship trophy at Ewood last game of the season.

Dack just over Mulgrew, tough decision.

Find it incredible how Bennett is ahead of Mulgrew, maybe his social media presence, fist pump etc is whats swinging people, but Mulgrews composure and leadership at the back and his goals and deliveries at the other end make him key.

Bennett is an important player but hasnt been nearly as influential as Mulgrew.

It's great to have several players in contention for the honour. For me Dack, when he got going and got fit, has been a revelation. He's want you want to see, somebody who can take people on and make things happen in the last third. He's been our talisman. The guy the opposition are scared of.  He's my No1.

Charlie Boy has had a great season, a skipper who leads by example and a match winner. Elliot Bennett has been an inspiration once he got played in a position that suits his skill set. 

Those are my first three.

Honourable mention also for Raya who I think has a big future in the game. Ritchie Smallwood, who was the heartbeat of the team when we needed it early in the season , somebody to shake a fist at the opposition instead of the old bending over and taking it that the team had become used to.

When you think back to the recent seasons were the like of Ollsen the younger and Williams won it by virtue of being the least worst players.

• Backroom

Dack is the player who gets it done. Time and time again he's given us a spark when we've been labouring to a 0-0 or worse. Mulgrew is a fantastic set piece taker, Bennett works his socks off, Graham has contributed a lot since the start of the new year and Raya has made some fantastic saves this season... but for me none of them have been season-long game-changers in the way Dack has been. £750k was an absolute steal. 

I find it absolutely bizarre that anyone would vote for anyone other than Dack. He has carried the team all season and when we were playing badly he was the one player buzzing around trying to make things happen.

Mulgrew second for me, has made some very significant contributions at times.

Others have done well at times, Raya has won us the three points on quite a few occasions. Smallwood was good until he got into nine yellows, Graham was atrocious until the end of November but has contributed really well I  terms of goals since and Bennett might well have won worst player of the season award prior to the Shrewsbury home game but would be in with a good shout of being nominated most impressive performer since being moved into central midfield.

But over the whole season Dack every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As other posters have pointed out it feels like the first year in a while were we aren't picking who was the least bad player was.

I've voted for Dack. Once he got going in October he's been the leader of our attack, he's come up with the goods when we've needed it and has been a constant threat

Mulgrew would be my next vote, mainly just for staying fit all season. He's a quality defender, a leader and 12 goals is an exceptional haul from CB.

After that your down to players who have performed in spells:

Graham -  looked finished at the start of the season but has been brilliant since around the end of November. Goals, assists and great hold up play really linking well with Dack in particular.

Smallwood - would've been my vote if this poll was taken at the end of 2017. He was great first half of the season, especially when you consider that he was puitting performances in when we hadn't gelled as a unit and weren't playing well. Hasn't been as good in 2018 for a few reasons.

Bennett - Keeps getting mentions for the award mainly because he has had his season the other way round to Smallwood. He wasn't great in 2017, missed a lot of games early on, didn't contribute enough goals and assists, gifted Scunthorpe a goal in the home fixture, couple of red cards. Fantastic second half of the season has excelled in 2 or 3 different positions. (I count him at 5 different positions he's played this year). Scored a couple in 2018 also.  Never gives anything less than 100% and has a real bond with the fans.

Armstrong - Has been a great addition but hasn't been here long enough to be realistically considered. Really hope he's playing here next season. 9 Goals mostly from the wing is a good haul.

Raya - Makes some wonderful saves but has made a few too many errors to be considered as POTY. Has developed his game but still further room to improve (please stop shanking balls played back to you David!)

Downing - Has only lost one game he's played. Has been pretty consistent just overshadowed by Mulgrew and now Lenihan. As a signing has exceed all expectations.

Mulgrew is an absolute Rolls Royce in this league. So obviously better than almost anyone else in the division that it's been embarrassing at times. There was a point in January when people were having serious conversations about him getting 20 league goals, from centre back! Also, if Graham's form was as good at the beginning of the season as it has been since January, then we'd already be up as champions. 

Having said that, Dack has clearly been our, and the league's best player this year. Open & shut case. 

• Moderation Lead

Consistently, Dack has been the best over the course of the season IMO. As others have alluded to, many players have played well in spells. (Smallwood and Graham immediately spring to mind).

The most pleasing thing for me, is that there have been so many candidates as it shows what a team game we've played and how players have bought into the team over anything else.

I still can't get over just how good Bradley Dack has been though. The lad has honestly been phenomenal and one of my favourite players I've watched in our colours for quite some time.

28 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Consistently, Dack has been the best over the course of the season IMO. As others have alluded to, many players have played well in spells. (Smallwood and Graham immediately spring to mind).

The most pleasing thing for me, is that there have been so many candidates as it shows what a team game we've played and how players have bought into the team over anything else.

I still can't get over just how good Bradley Dack has been though. The lad has honestly been phenomenal and one of my favourite players I've watched in our colours for quite some time.

We’ve said the same thing time and time again this season, the signings of Dack and Smallwood are pivotal- and both represent the type of midfielder we’ve desperately needed! As opposed to (to quote you) “crab midfielders!”

Id probably pick Dack but Richie is my second choice because of the way he pushes us forward, leads the team and gets around. 

Dack looks genius at times. The back heel flick against Dons away easily my favourite rovers goal for time.

• Moderation Lead
28 minutes ago, Biz said:

We’ve said the same thing time and time again this season, the signings of Dack and Smallwood are pivotal- and both represent the type of midfielder we’ve desperately needed! As opposed to (to quote you) “crab midfielders!”

Id probably pick Dack but Richie is my second choice because of the way he pushes us forward, leads the team and gets around. 

Dack looks genius at times. The back heel flick against Dons away easily my favourite rovers goal for time.

Absolutely mate. Mark this date in your calendar, 9th April 2018, we agreed on something to do with Rovers!

So many candidates for this it's almost impossible to choose , Quite surprised Smallwood hasn't got a single vote as I think he's made such a difference to our midfield so much so that had we had him last season we would not have been relegated ... That said Bradley Dack has been outstanding and gets my vote

Archived