BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bristol Rovers v THE ROVERS

4 minutes ago, JAL said:

Not intended to Tony just saying he's offering little for the team doesn't have anything in his locker even though he may look the part.

He has been poor overall but playing him wide right doesn't do him or Rovers any favours.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He has been poor overall but playing him wide right doesn't do him or Rovers any favours.

Playing players out of position has been happening all season, get used to it mate. Samuel, antonson and armstrong, who are all strikers, have played as wingers. Some would argue armstrong done well, but only when hes an inside forward rather than a winger. Payne has been played on the wing when hes a nunber 10. Bell has been played as a winger when hes a left back, again some will argue he was more of a wing back, but you don't play a wing back when you also have a left back on the pitch. 

The wingers positions have been a problem all season, and no wingers were brought in to address it, apart from chapman whos been out most of the season and we knew that in January. It wouldn't be so bad if we had wing backs going forward, but williams is awful, caddis is like a pub player, bennett hasn't been utilised that way and doesn't have the pace. Nyambe has been a miss to be fair to him. 

It means we are very one dimensional, and if dack doesnt play well the team doesnt play well. Its just all very predictable. If you had two cm who where creative then that would maybe eliminate that problem, but smallwood and evans would struggled to pick a pass in a shed. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not my opinion cos he had the perfect chance for shot at goal by behind it in top corner. 

At no time did Payne have sight of goal. It was excellent ball retention by him to set up Graham for a clear shot (which he fluffed). 

34 minutes ago, AAK said:

Playing players out of position has been happening all season, get used to it mate. Samuel, antonson and armstrong, who are all strikers, have played as wingers. Some would argue armstrong done well, but only when hes an inside forward rather than a winger. Payne has been played on the wing when hes a nunber 10. Bell has been played as a winger when hes a left back, again some will argue he was more of a wing back, but you don't play a wing back when you also have a left back on the pitch. 

The wingers positions have been a problem all season, and no wingers were brought in to address it, apart from chapman whos been out most of the season and we knew that in January. It wouldn't be so bad if we had wing backs going forward, but williams is awful, caddis is like a pub player, bennett hasn't been utilised that way and doesn't have the pace. Nyambe has been a miss to be fair to him. 

It means we are very one dimensional, and if dack doesnt play well the team doesnt play well. Its just all very predictable. If you had two cm who where creative then that would maybe eliminate that problem, but smallwood and evans would struggled to pick a pass in a shed. 

I endorse your sentiments totally.

That said, we are where we are and with who we've got available. Let's get over the bloody line.

Then hopefully have a re-think and put square pegs in square holes rather trying to put round ones in a square hole and moaning because they won't fit.

It's hardly rocket science!

• J*B unpinned this topic

The Bristol fans are saying on their forums they were surprised how much trouble Blackburn fans were causing after the game.

Punch ups, even amongst themselves and kicking at cars

If true then that's dissapointing

Just now, AlanK said:

The Bristol fans are saying on their forums they were surprised how much trouble Blackburn fans were causing after the game.

If true then that's dissapointing

It was true. Their was aggro all day. Before the game police were called to the pub. Fans were trying to get at each other after the whistle. Rovers fans were smashing cars as they drove past , spitting on each other, the most hostile atmosphere I've ever been in.

15 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I endorse your sentiments totally.

That said, we are where we are and with who we've got available. Let's get over the bloody line.

Then hopefully have a re-think and put square pegs in square holes rather trying to put round ones in a square hole and moaning because they won't fit.

It's hardly rocket science!

I will return that and totally agree with yourself, mate. I am not fully lambasting mowbray before people have a hiss fit, i am just saying what seems to be sn obvious problem hasn't been sorted. However that could be due to budgets i.e i need someone in that position more that i do in that position or it could be mowbray thinking he can get away with it when he cant becuase these are league one players. 

Just now, AlanK said:

Both true i witnessed both on my out and at a junction just before the Wellington pub ,it was a middle aged ladies car that got the kick and it didnt hlaf make a noise.

I got some abuse from Bristol fans not far from there club shop , i just stood my ground and carried on as i had my niece with me

11 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

It was true. Their was aggro all day. Before the game police were called to the pub. Fans were trying to get at each other after the whistle. Rovers fans were smashing cars as they drove past , spitting on each other, the most hostile atmosphere I've ever been in.

We didn't take too kindly to having coins rain down on us from Bristol fans in the stand next to our terrace and wiping spit from Children as we exited the ground. I have to say if I could have gripped one of the perpetrators, I would have done.

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

We didn't take too kindly to having coins rain down on us from Bristol fans in the stand next to our terrace and wiping spit from Children as we exited the ground. I have to say if I could have gripped one of the perpetrators, I would have done.

Don't get me wrong I was close to losing it with them at the whistle. Horrible fans. Rovers fans smashing a female drivers car after the game who hadn't been to the match was out of order. Idiots both sides then the bristol fans goading rovers fans made decent people who wouldn't normally get involved react. It's was simmering all day. Luckily I didn't see anyone actually get hurt though one or two of them I would of liked to see get an old fashioned northern goodbye

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

I have been to their ground several times so I knew what to expect. It's actually a rugby ground with four sides which are all dissimilar so it has a lob sided appearance. Two sides of these have terraces. The pitch seemed very good though.

The pitch is terrible,  was relayed in summer apparently and when they had no groundsman to supervise, the corners and  edges were slippery all match and bit of turf were rucking up like a doormat.  The touch line and corner run ups were sanded like a long jump pit.  The ball bobbled when anyone carried it, or held up so it stuck between the feet - cost Dack possession at least twice - ditto Armstrong, cant say I agree that it was anywhere near a good pitch I’m afraid. 

6 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Those were the days where your feet didn't touch the ground and you ended up 20 yards away from where you started off!

Like exiting old Ewood through the gates at the corner of Blackburn End/ Nuttall Street. That's the only time I have been carried out without feet on the ground; a weird experience!

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You said there arent many pacy wingers in this league, I named some in the top half alone just to prove that you was wrong on that.

Agree that we should have kept the ball better, of which I feel Bennett was the main culprit but not the only one. Cant use the pitch as an excuse, wasnt the best but neither is the one at Ewood.

Conway was sluggish and didnt provide any width or anything at all going forward, his legs have gone sadly, he would be easy to play against as a full back at his age. That said, he would have been perfect to bring on to kill the game, he does that well, winning fouls etc.

When Payne plays, he links with Dack and he benefits from the space left if Dack is man marked. The notion that hes only an impact sub is a bit of a myth.

We badly miss Chapman in our side. 

Disagree on your 1st comment about Conway tho I agree on your 3rd point. We need that next season. 

We have to agree to disagree on Payne and whether he better starting or impact sub. 

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

At no time did Payne have sight of goal. It was excellent ball retention by him to set up Graham for a clear shot (which he fluffed). 

What the highlights. Clear sight of goal..

sorry chaddy but if you think Jim is insulting you by asking if you've played football then you are a bit of a snowflake

And I also agree with him. Payne was closed down but set up Graham nicely who scuffed his shot

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

Mowbray's obsession with getting Samuel on somewhere nearly every game is grating now. Whatever he's trying to get from him just isn't working, he's dropped players for less.  Must be a good lad on the training ground or something :o

Or is their a pre contractual promise being fulfilled.

Having personally written off Conway as past it a few times this season, when he set the winner up last weekend vs Southend with some quality wing play I thought I'd been proven wrong which really pleased me as I've always liked Conway and we aren't exactly stacked on natural wide players.

But he's followed that up with two really poor showings in a week.He's looked very slow again and lacking in quality. Not picking out any decent crosses, can't beat his man, can't drive into the spaces like he used to, isn't even taking corners which he used to get a dew assists from. We need Bennett back in Midfield on one of the wings just to get a bit of energy back in there. Thought Smallwood had his best game in a while.

Dacks had two poor games also, and In hindsight on that rubbish boggy pitch when the ball was hard to move we could've played the more powerful players in a 4-4-2 and gone more direct. But hindsight is a wonderful thing I don't think anyone would suggest dropping Dack if he claims he's fully fit. I still think he's not 100% though and thats the worry as when he's been off the boil last few games we've struggled.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Having personally written off Conway as past it a few times this season, when he set the winner up last weekend vs Southend with some quality wing play I thought I'd been proven wrong which really pleased me as I've always liked Conway and we aren't exactly stacked on natural wide players.

But he's followed that up with two really poor showings in a week.He's looked very slow again and lacking in quality. Not picking out any decent crosses, can't beat his man, can't drive into the spaces like he used to, isn't even taking corners which he used to get a dew assists from. We need Bennett back in Midfield on one of the wings just to get a bit of energy back in there. Thought Smallwood had his best game in a while.

Dacks had two poor games also, and In hindsight on that rubbish boggy pitch when the ball was hard to move we could've played the more powerful players in a 4-4-2 and gone more direct. But hindsight is a wonderful thing I don't think anyone would suggest dropping Dack if he claims he's fully fit. I still think he's not 100% though and thats the worry as when he's been off the boil last few games we've struggled.

What's the point of crossing the ball in this Rovers team when no ferker can head a ball.

Whats the point of crosses ?

Play to your strengths not your weaknesses would have thought.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

But he's followed that up with two really poor showings in a week.He's looked very slow again and lacking in quality. Not picking out any decent crosses, can't beat his man, can't drive into the spaces like he used to, isn't even taking corners which he used to get a dew assists from. 

Conway is very much in the twilight of his career now, has flashes of his old qualities but has lost the consistency he once had. Still potentially a useful late sub but I wouldn't rely on him for anything more at this point. I'd rather have Antonsson starting and he's not anything special either.

3 minutes ago, JAL said:

What's the point of crossing the ball in this Rovers team when no ferker can head a ball.

Whats the point of crosses ?

Play to your strengths not your weaknesses would have thought.

Graham can head the ball, has scored a few headers this year.

I'd agree if you mean that Conways style doesn't fit this side

Just now, DE. said:

Conway is very much in the twilight of his career now, has flashes of his old qualities but has lost the consistency he once had. Still potentially a useful late sub but I wouldn't rely on him for anything more at this point. I'd rather have Antonsson starting and he's not anything special either.

Agree 100%. As a sub to see out games is probably his role until his contract expires at the end of the season.

Ideally you have Bennett one wing getting up and down and supporting the Centre mids more with Armstrong on the other pushed up to use his pace. and Dack floating. Hopefully Nyambe will be available for Thursday so we can push Bennett further forward (although he's been good at rb).

If we can't use Bennett there would rather start Antonnson even though he's not done much since coming back from injury or Payne who clearly isnt a winger and sometimes unbalances the side. They at least can help us play on the front foot more.

16 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Seems to be a pretty wide variation of views on Dominic Samuels performance yesterday.

I thought he did alright when he came on, and might start him on Thursday. 

I thought he was awful - he took up some great positions, but didn't know what to do when he got the ball in them.  Tried to turn back towards his own goal and most often either lost possession or ended up turning his opportunity into just a throw-in and killing momentum.  

Contrast with both Payne or Armstrong who clearly aren't wingers either but have a game awareness that allows them to see options quickly, and they aren't afraid to be direct in their running while in possession.  

Actually what stood out for me was that in the first half Rovers' midfield did very little in terms of dictating the rhythm or tempo of the game - Smallwood was very effective as a stopper and giving cover, Evans didn't do anything wrong particularly, but he's too similar to Smallwood as a defensive shield, and while he will try to play the odd forward ball, he didn't seem very good at it, and often too late.  A big contrast when Bennett was switched in there - he is more mobile and more direct, and gives more threat supporting the wider players.  As a right back he did a decent job supporting Conway, and the 2 of them looked threatening- trouble being they weren't getting the ball quickly enough - it always seemed to need Mulgrew - having received a backwards/sideways ball from the midfield - to sling a long diagonal out to Conway.  Conway did ok til he got a knock first half and put 3 or 4 really good balls behind their defence into the 6 yard box, with no-one really threatening them - Graham seems to go back post and Dack didn't seem to get there in time.

Its nothing new though, Rovers midfield has been dysfunctional for years now, I can't remember when it last had personnel that you felt were bossing the game and could pick a pass that would open up a defence.  I kindov hoped at the start of the season Whittingham could be the person to do that, but clearly isnt up to it - this season it may not matter, I still think we're more than good enough to see us through and get automatic promotion, next season would be a worry with the same squad.

As a final thought - the Bristol Rovers fans I was sat with were terrified of what they thought Rovers would do to them, they were all adamant they would 'lose by 3' and were delighted firstly to score, and secondly to get a draw.  They said there was a huge gulf in class and were amazed how pedestrian we were, they all agreed we were different class in the 10 to 15 minutes after the penalty when we played the ball on the deck, and should have had at least 2 more goals from open play.  No-one could believe the Williams miss!! [I still cant]

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Agree 100%. As a sub to see out games is probably his role until his contract expires at the end of the season.

Ideally you have Bennett one wing getting up and down and supporting the Centre mids more with Armstrong on the other pushed up to use his pace. and Dack floating. Hopefully Nyambe will be available for Thursday so we can push Bennett further forward (although he's been good at rb).

If we can't use Bennett there would rather start Antonnson even though he's not done much since coming back from injury or Payne who clearly isnt a winger and sometimes unbalances the side. They at least can help us play on the front foot more.

No, not Nyambe please. The defence has looked much sounder during his absence and the opposition have no one to target.

Archived