BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next season budget already in place

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another submissively irritating reference to FUP. Seriously the whole concept makes me absolutely sick. This club should be at the forefront of opposing it for one good reason! Don't claim I'm making this about me it's the truth FULL STOP.

He pretty much spoke along these lines at the fans forum. Of course more people read that newspaper so its important to have spoken about plans, etc. Sharpe should be careful about using phrases like "war chest". He noted clubs who may spend 40 million so by "operating smart" (which all clubs should do really when spending money) it seems like an indication Rovers budget won't be at that level. Can't say that would be a surprise but it certainly needs to be more than the paltry amounts that led to relegation. On the other hand "operating smart" means putting the building blocks and foundations in place. Whether Mowbray can do that is a very legitimate question.

Sounds like the bleeding obvious to me.

One thing is for sure, if we go up then the Venkys better get the check book out this summer. This team, especially right now the way there playing will be odds on for another relegation battle.

10 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Another submissively irritating reference to FUP. Seriously the whole concept makes me absolutely sick. This club should be at the forefront of opposing it for one good reason! Don't claim I'm making this about me it's the truth FULL STOP.

He pretty much spoke along these lines at the fans forum. Of course more people read that newspaper so its important to have spoken about plans, etc. Sharpe should be careful about using phrases like "war chest". He noted clubs who may spend 40 million so by "operating smart" (which all clubs should do really when spending money) it seems like an indication Rovers budget won't be at that level. Can't say that would be a surprise but it certainly needs to be more than the paltry amounts that led to relegation. On the other hand "operating smart" means putting the building blocks and foundations in place. Whether Mowbray can do that is a very legitimate question.

Submissively irritating-exactly. Also, a convenient excuse.

If we do go up, a lot will be revealed. Will leopards have changed their spots?! 

Anyway, why no FFP for Wolves?

18 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Discussing it when we don't know which division we will be in. Unless you want 2 simultaneous threads? 

Silly post. Both options can be discussed in one thread. For starters:-

1) If we don't go up will Mowbray's budget be slashed and players sold or will he be able to hold on to who he wants again and add to it like last summer?

2) If we do go up will Mowbray be given a competitive wage budget for the Championship or will he just be allowed the contractual increase in the players wages he already has?

3) If we go up will Mowbray be handed a competitive transfer budget for the Championship or will he just get a couple of million like Bowyer did and like Mogga himself got this summer? 

20 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Sounds like the bleeding obvious to me.

One thing is for sure, if we go up then the Venkys better get the check book out this summer. This team, especially right now the way there playing will be odds on for another relegation battle.

Sadly couldn't agree more.We have maybe three or four Players who could make it in the Championship but after that the rest are mediocre.

I always find it interesting how fans view club finances.

If we get promoted - how much extra money do we get from the league ?

Beyond that - and possible additional match day and other revenue - how much should Venky's put in ? Some will say they should pay as much as it takes to put right the wrongs they have done - but in truth things are very different to when Jack helped pay to get us promoted. We now have a number of ex-Premiership clubs with huge parachute payments - it is a very different environment. 

Just some reasonable sustained investment going into the playing side is what we want imo. This season it might seem a lot to spend a million or so but it needs a few mill putting into it every season to build things up properly again.

Probably inevitable we will lose one for big money so that money or a good portion of it should go into a direct replacement. That should apply to all good money sales, follow that policy and things should be ok. If players start getting sold and the brass goes to running costs again or wages to Whittingham types the same old problems will continue to drag the club down.

Well this is certainly a case of Steve Waggott doing what he said he would do. He told us at the Fans Forum 5 weeks ago that he had prepared two budgets to put to the Owners for their approval (promotion and not) and that he expected to get an answer by the second or third week in April.

This is a true test of if Venkys have actually learnt anything and are taking a new sharper approach towards running the club. This type of thing would probably usually get a reply in about August.

Are they still on English time of doing things or is it still Venkys time, Stevo is about to find out.

Tony's seemingly no plans to resign if things do go awry:

“If we were still in League One then we would have to recruit again even better players than we have got now as if it was to be another campaign in this division we’d have to make it one that became a very, very positive one for us because of the quality of players we’d have.”

42 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

“If we were still in League One then we would have to recruit again even better players than we have got now as if it was to be another campaign in this division we’d have to make it one that became a very, very positive one for us because of the quality of players we’d have.”

Luckily, shouldn't be an issue 

On 16/04/2018 at 06:56, JAL said:

It's very unclear wether it's a budget good enough to win the championship next season.

Is that what you expect?

I think a lot of posters need to temper expectations a little. We were relegated with a weak squad, albeit that would have done enough to survive in any other season. If we get promoted there are certain areas that we have improved in but still lack depth and quality in several key parts of the pitch to compete in that league. Our better players are also getting on in years (Mulgrew and Graham) and you'd expect interest in Dack and Lenihan.

I can't see us bouncing through the leagues personally. I think a mid-low table finish will be a successful season although I wouldn't be surprised to see us, at least for a while, embroiled somewhat in the "relegation battle" group.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

An interesting quote as it suggests he's not convinced by the quality of players we have now. In fairness though if not for the Shrews having a miracle season we'd likely already be up and this campaign would be seen as very positive despite our style of play never quite clicking.

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

An interesting quote as it suggests he's not convinced by the quality of players we have now. In fairness though if not for the Shrews having a miracle season we'd likely already be up and this campaign would be seen as very positive despite our style of play never quite clicking.

I think that's more of an indication of how poor this league is DE. There are games we'd have squandered wins by our negative mindset in the final 25 minutes if the other team had the quality to put us to the sword.

The gulf in quality between League 1 and the Championship is astonishing and it's no surprise there's just as many yoyo clubs between these two leagues than there is between the Premier league and the Championship.

• Backroom
Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think that's more of an indication of how poor this league is DE. There are games we'd have squandered wins by our negative mindset in the final 25 minutes if the other team had the quality to put us to the sword.

The gulf in quality between League 1 and the Championship is astonishing and it's no surprise there's just as many yoyo clubs between these two leagues than there is between the Premier league and the Championship.

I agree, it's a piss poor league quality wise and if not for Shrewsbury this would have been one of the easiest seasons ourselves and Wigan have ever had. We're 14 points ahead of Rotherham in 4th with a game in hand, and 22 points ahead of 5th with a game in hand! It's a bit of a sorry state of affairs in all honesty, but hopefully we'll be out of this league shortly and not have to worry about it for at least another season. 

Archived