BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Peterborough

• Backroom
Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Bell is head and shoulders above Williams as a left back. For whatever reason he doesn't get a sniff for Rovers in favour of an out of position and bang average player.

Williams must be very influential in the dressing room. It's the only possible reason I can see for him getting a go. When Bell plays he gets round the outside, beats the man and wins a corner or whips it in. When Williams plays he cuts back, plays the side ways ball 9 times out of 10.

In terms of defending there really isn't much apart from them except Bell is quicker. Both can be out of position and neither are the best in the air.

Rather Bell than Williams every day of the week.

I think it's been a case of playing safe with the back 4 we're used to, with Bell and Nyambe becoming wing backs in preseason.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

You're right and I presume you'll be sat where at Ewood on Thursday night?

He’ll probably be at home finishing off his quarterly appraisal of Tony Mowbray. It’s only about 8 weeks late. Funny that. 

So I posted Bull SH1t to MG's Must win and it's been censored?

Bean counting tells us it's NOT a must win game, we can lose and still go up?

Are we not allowed to swear again?

I never got the memo.

Would personally bring in Payne for Conway, Whittingham for Evans, unsure on which left back id choose, and id keep Bennett at right back to overlap Payne. Id also have Nuttall on the bench, Samuel out of the 18.

Hope we go for the throat from the off, high press, and better supply to Graham. 

Also hope that Dack and Armstrong are on their game, and that we play the ball alot faster than we have been doing, too slow at Bristol.

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

I never got the memo.

If this game isn’t a ‘must win’ then which of our last four games is?

Just now, Gav said:

We only need 7 points, pick one?

So two of them are ‘must win’ then.

Just to clarify though, tomorrow night isn’t a must win so it must be one of the other three?

You should have put flyers outside Ewood tomorrow night it’ll ease the pre-match tension no end.

DC7E879F-8CCC-4DD2-97C9-EE7D05CCFF77.jpeg

We 'only' need 7 pts from 4 games. :lol:

Up there with the every club needs a Jason Lowe/Mowbray will bring on administration comments that.

Bean counting aside....

Let's not forget you led the campaign to get rid of Mowbray and told us all Dack was a 'waste of money' (yes I've found the post) 

I bet you're singing 'TM's blue and white army' aren't you? Telling everyone you always thought he'd do it? Never in doubt. :D

:rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Bean counting aside....

Let's not forget you led the campaign to get rid of Mowbray and told us all Dack was a 'waste of money' (yes I've found the post) 

I bet you're singing 'TM's blue and white army' aren't you? Telling everyone you always thought he'd do it? Never in doubt. :D

:rolleyes: 

Show me the Dack is a waste of money post Gav. I'd like to see that.

And nope. I have always stuck by my feelings that Mowbray should have gone in those opening few months and am still of the opinion that if we hadn't had the terrible start we had we'd now be comfortably in the Championship next season.

Again, I doubt Mowbray is the man to take us on to a promotion challenge in the league above but I'm happy to be proven wrong. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I never got the memo.

Bullshit.

Stick Darragh on Marriott and tell him to rough him up a bit and I can see some Posh Tempers flying. I reckon a Peterborough red card is likely, and that somewhat obese manager on the sidelines will be gobbing off like a sweaty sumo wrestler in a suit. 

Let's put an end to the Posh playoff push, crank up the pressure on Wigan and turn the screw on the Shrews. 

And nope. I have always stuck by my feelings that Mowbray should have gone in those opening few months and am still of the opinion that if we hadn't had the terrible start we had we'd now be comfortably in the Championship next season.

As I said then, you don’t get so many signings into an 11 so quickly without issues normally, and as I said then, sacking would’ve put us further away from promotion than patience.

Finish well, two wins from 4 will do it, and we’ve averaged better than that all season, even including the start. Wigan have done fantastically this season, and Shrewsbury punching above their weight made it less than simple, so it’s obvious to me that TM might have the knack to build on his foundations and send us towards the better end of the championship.

Perhaps I’m getting old, or perhaps I’d rather see someone try and build something with patience and time! 

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Stick Darragh on Marriott and tell him to rough him up a bit and I can see some Posh Tempers flying. I reckon a Peterborough red card is likely, and that somewhat obese manager on the sidelines will be gobbing off like a sweaty sumo wrestler in a suit. 

Let's put an end to the Posh playoff push, crank up the pressure on Wigan and turn the screw on the Shrews. 

How about, let's play like we did against Bradford and Wigan first half, with intensity, athleticism and the result will be they cannot live with that.  No need for Darragh to rough Marriott up or anyone else because we will or should be out of sight by half time?

36 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

How about, let's play like we did against Bradford and Wigan first half, with intensity, athleticism and the result will be they cannot live with that.  No need for Darragh to rough Marriott up or anyone else because we will or should be out of sight by half time?

I agree, but Marriott is their danger man. Take him out of the game and let our boys play with the freedom. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Would personally bring in Payne for Conway, Whittingham for Evans, unsure on which left back id choose, and id keep Bennett at right back to overlap Payne. Id also have Nuttall on the bench, Samuel out of the 18.

Hope we go for the throat from the off, high press, and better supply to Graham. 

Also hope that Dack and Armstrong are on their game, and that we play the ball alot faster than we have been doing, too slow at Bristol.

With the utmost respect pal, if you were manager we'd lose all of our remaining 4 games. IMO

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Probably would, yeah. Why did you say that though?

It's great to be able to debate without someone calling anyone a dick for doing so!

From what I've seen of Payne (in the flesh) he's nothing more than a poor replacement for Dack in the '10' role. He's been tried left and right, more often than not from the bench and has always flattered to deceive. From what I've seen, I don't rate him. Conway's a spent force for me too. Whittingham is a waste of space and a wage and has been a poor signing, I wouldn't have him anywhere near Ewood on Thursday night. 

I'd put Lenihan at right back (ideally Travis but I think that's unlikely) Williams and Mulgrew as centre halves and Bell at left back.

Central midfield pairing of Bennett and Smallwood

Armstrong, Dack and Antonson (only because I think he's our best option to retain balance)

and Graham up top.

Should I get mi coat?!

Just now, darrenrover said:

It's great to be able to debate without someone calling anyone a dick for doing so!

From what I've seen of Payne (in the flesh) he's nothing more than a poor replacement for Dack in the '10' role. He's been tried left and right, more often than not from the bench and has always flattered to deceive. From what I've seen, I don't rate him. Conway's a spent force for me too. Whittingham is a waste of space and a wage and has been a poor signing, I wouldn't have him anywhere near Ewood on Thursday night. 

I'd put Lenihan at right back (ideally Travis but I think that's unlikely) Williams and Mulgrew as centre halves and Bell at left back.

Central midfield pairing of Bennett and Smallwood

Armstrong, Dack and Antonson (only because I think he's our best option to retain balance)

and Graham up top.

Should I get mi coat?!

Definitely wouldnt put Williams at centre back, thought when he covered there he looked like the square peg in a round hole that he was.

Feel like we should preserve the Lenihan and Mulgrew partnership whenever possible.

In Nyambes absence, considering the good form Bennetts shown at right back recently, he can provide width there. Understand how his energy can be an asset in the middle but to be fair his ball retention when in midfield on Saturday was awful I thought.

Whittinghams certainly been nowhere near as good as we all hoped but I feel that questions of his attitude are unfair, and I think he will give us more control in the middle than Evans.

Antonsson I dont rate, Payne I think is a very good technical player and he links well with Dack. Not given enough starts.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Definitely wouldnt put Williams at centre back, thought when he covered there he looked like the square peg in a round hole that he was.

Feel like we should preserve the Lenihan and Mulgrew partnership whenever possible.

In Nyambes absence, considering the good form Bennetts shown at right back recently, he can provide width there. Understand how his energy can be an asset in the middle but to be fair his ball retention when in midfield on Saturday was awful I thought.

Whittinghams certainly been nowhere near as good as we all hoped but I feel that questions of his attitude are unfair, and I think he will give us more control in the middle than Evans.

Antonsson I dont rate, Payne I think is a very good technical player and he links well with Dack. Not given enough starts.

I think half of our issues have been trying to fit square pegs in round holes!

Whiitingham's attitude? well we've all seen what we've not seen this season! On Saturday as our coach was creeping away from the stadium at Bristol, Whittingham was in his car, arm out the window, crawling in traffic in the opposite direction. For 5 minutes when the kids on the coach were banging on the window to try to attract his attention, he didn't bat an eyelid. Sorry, *anker.

I'd agree with Lenihan and Mulgrew but think (for whatever reason) TM will want to play Williams somewhere. I think he's a better CH than LB and Bell's a better left back option.

I don't rate Antonsson either but think he's our best option on the left of the advanced midfield 3 (or whatever it's called!)

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agree with virtually all that except the Whittingham bit, he's looked what he is really, a busted flush. Probably not his attitude he just doesn't have enough left in the tank for the what we require of him. I'd keep him well away although him standing in for Evans is preferable to him being shoehorned in somewhere else for the sake of it.

He should be the natural stand in for Evans but it's a risky one at this stage imo he's far too casual and immobile.

Archived