BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Peterborough

6 hours ago, darrenrover said:

It's great to be able to debate without someone calling anyone a dick for doing so!

From what I've seen of Payne (in the flesh) he's nothing more than a poor replacement for Dack in the '10' role. He's been tried left and right, more often than not from the bench and has always flattered to deceive. From what I've seen, I don't rate him. Conway's a spent force for me too. Whittingham is a waste of space and a wage and has been a poor signing, I wouldn't have him anywhere near Ewood on Thursday night. 

I'd put Lenihan at right back (ideally Travis but I think that's unlikely) Williams and Mulgrew as centre halves and Bell at left back.

Central midfield pairing of Bennett and Smallwood

Armstrong, Dack and Antonson (only because I think he's our best option to retain balance)

and Graham up top.

Should I get mi coat?!

Tend to agree but I'd play Downing rather than Williams at centre half.

We need midfield drive and energy, Whittingham has provided none of this for us. His passing tends to slow the game down, with the odd exception, and just like Conwy his legs appear to have gone. Either Whittingham or Conway in the team just slows our attacks.

Another problem Whittingham will have tonight is that if Posh are like  any other Evans side he will be kicked all over the park we will need battlers in there.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen much of Whittingham but I've not been impressed at all. He's too slow, doesn't cover enough ground, rarely puts an effective tackle in and doesn't look like getting forward enough to be a goal threat. He passes the ball around nicely but in the areas where you never really hurt teams.

He was a big gamble when we signed him in my opinion and the gamble hasn't paid off in any way. To think he's got another year on his contract. I would imagine he'll be on a good wedge, if we do get promoted there's no way he'll feature next season and he'll be difficult to off load.

Possibly Mowbray's worst signing.

My team

Raya

Lenihan Downing Mulgrew Williams

Evans Smallwood

Bennett           Dack              Armstrong

Graham

Subs:- Luetwiler Bell Payne Whittingham Conway Samuel Antonsson

7 hours ago, darrenrover said:

It's great to be able to debate without someone calling anyone a dick for doing so!

From what I've seen of Payne (in the flesh) he's nothing more than a poor replacement for Dack in the '10' role.

I

He has skills to be better but no Dack..

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Definitely wouldnt put Williams at centre back, thought when he covered there he looked like the square peg in a round hole that he was.

Feel like we should preserve the Lenihan and Mulgrew partnership whenever possible.

Whittinghams certainly been nowhere near as good as we all hoped but I feel that questions of his attitude are unfair, and I think he will give us more control in the middle than Evans.

Payne I think is a very good technical player and he links well with Dack. Not given enough starts.

Williams look like like the square peg in a round hole? Really? He looked very confident, calm and played very well there. Dont know if you were a different game. 

Evans has played really well recently like Bradford at home..

Payne doesnt play the wide role right and come inside far too much. We need to keep the width. Much better as impact sub. Been given enough starts which he was poor

• Backroom

I’m still surprised that after you Championing Travis for ages now Mowbray doesn’t seem to want to play him neither would you have him in your squad.

I know little about him but Marriott is meant to be one of the best strikers in the league isn’t he? If so I’d want Lenihan central  But I think I’d prefer Bennett central tonight so right back is a dilemma.

Would rather not play Evans or Conway at home.

I think people are judging Whittingham a bit unfairly. He was playing back when no one in the team was firing on all cylinders, then he got injured. Since then he hasn't really gotten back into the team. 

I agree he isn't what we need if we go up, but I still think he may play a part in the run in. 

Right back is a real issue. Lenihan and Mulgrew are the business centre half and up against the leagues top scorer I would like to see them there. On the other hand I would also like to see Bennett on the right of midfield tonight(with Lenihan probably been the best option to replace him at right back). Travis seems to have made Mowbray lose a bit of trust in him for such high pressure games after that red, which I can understand to a point. You wouldn't expect to see one of our senior players do that. 

I hope Bell starts left back. I think he is a better attacking option. 

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’m still surprised that after you Championing Travis for ages now Mowbray doesn’t seem to want to play him neither would you have him in your squad.

Mowbray has said he go for experience at this stage. So I pick my team from that. 

I was impressed with Travis on Monday. He would be part of my squad. Think that red card cost him badly a place in the match day squad. Shame. He will be good player for us

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has said he go for experience at this stage. So I pick my team from that. 

I was impressed with Travis on Monday. He would be part of my squad. Think that red card cost him badly a place in the match day squad. Shame. He will be good player for us

Hope so he seemed to be improving every game; it’s one thing I think Mowbray has got wrong, the tackle was a bad one but I’m sure he’s learnt from it.

Much rather him as an option than Cadiss! 

Just now, Tom said:

Hope so he seemed to be improving every game; it’s one thing I think Mowbray has got wrong, the tackle was a bad one but I’m sure he’s learnt from it.

Much rather him as an option than Cadiss! 

You would hope he learnt from it, but that tackle was a pure rush of blood due to the pressure of the game. We can't afford them. 

The lad looks a great athlete though. I agree he should be in the squad. Coming on for a few minutes near the end of games would do him good. 

Raya

Caddis.     Downing.    Mulgrew.      Bell

Lenihan.   Smallwood

Bennett.           Dack.          Armstrong

Graham

Can't believe I cannot make this one. A lack of funds means I don't even have the cash for the match ticket....definitely should have got that half season ticket now :(

In other news I have a feeling we will romp to victory tonight and put us on the cusp of promotion.

"...WE'RE BLACKBURN ROVERS, WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK!"

8 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I think half of our issues have been trying to fit square pegs in round holes!

What issue? Blackburn Rovers FC are clear in promotion places? Bury FC have issue, Sunderland FC have issue, NOT Blackburn Rovers.

I hope for win and maybe 4 goals this evening & will be seeing game live.

In Tony we trust 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who is the ref this evening? Have we had him before? 

These feckers are going to try and rough house us, I have no doubt about that. In fact, it's probably good it's on TV. Also good we have Lenihan back. We need lads like him and Smallwood big time in games like this. 

The referee is Ross Joyce. Checking the records we had him in our wins at home v Bristol Rovers and away at Walsall.

Surprised we didn't get allocated a Premier League referee tonight as the Sky-EFL axis like to ensure the better referees are in place for their live TV games to avoid embarrassment.

Just now, JHRover said:

The referee is Ross Joyce. Checking the records we had him in our wins at home v Bristol Rovers and away at Walsall.

Surprised we didn't get allocated a Premier League referee tonight as the Sky-EFL axis like to ensure the better referees are in place for their live TV games to avoid embarrassment.

Well he has a good record reffing us so :) 

I remember that Dwight Gayle hatrick inspired win for Peterborough.  it was my daughter's birthday so I was in some indoor play area all afternoon.  We had got back to 3-2 late on from memory and I was refreshing the match thread on this message every 3 seconds (sorry mods!) in the hope of a late equalizer.  Some idiot, can't remember who, posted '3-3!' in jest. IN JEST!!?!

Not cool.

34 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I reckon Charlie is due a free kick flying in the top corner tonight. Put a bit of pace in our starting line up and I think we can win a few free kicks around the box. COYB. Final push for promotion now. 

Wouldnt it be great if he could get past the 15-goal mark for the season? He is outscoring the majority of CFs in this league. Would be an amazing haul and fair enough he takes penalties but a good portion of his goals have been sweet freekicks as well as coming up for corners.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Wouldnt it be great if he could get past the 15-goal mark for the season? He is outscoring the majority of CFs in this league. Would be an amazing haul and fair enough he takes penalties but a good portion of his goals have been sweet freekicks as well as coming up for corners.

He has been an absolute sensation this season. And to think a lot of people were worried he wouldn't handle the rough and tumble of league 1 and spend most of the time injured. He will be vital next season in the Championship if we get there! 

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

He has been an absolute sensation this season. And to think a lot of people were worried he wouldn't handle the rough and tumble of league 1 and spend most of the time injured. He will be vital next season in the Championship if we get there! 

TBF, those with concerns of his injuries were pretty valid, his injury record is why we were able to get him in the first place. Still a miracle he has only missed a handful of games this season.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I know little about him but Marriott is meant to be one of the best strikers in the league isn’t he? If so I’d want Lenihan central  But I think I’d prefer Bennett central tonight so right back is a dilemma.

Would rather not play Evans or Conway at home.

Evans is ok for tonight, he likes being on TV for Rovers or playing in Internationals.

Archived