BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Peterborough

Hate that your not allowed to have an opinion on how to improve without some folk saying that your negative and bleaTing on about one defeat in so many. For a fact this current squad is not championship ready. We all want the team to be the best it can be 

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a game. 2 different halves of football. 

I thought the first half Peterborough were better team and they deserve their lead. Edwards on the left caused us loads of problems and if/when we go up I would be looking to sign him in the summer. Bennett were unable to stop him and we were lucky not to be more than 1 goal behind. 

Now onto the 2nd half, Rovers performance went up by 2 or 3 gears and Dack tonight proved how good he really is and deserved his award for player of the season. Graham were impressive second half. we stop them playing and stop their number 2 's from having the same influence they had 1st half. Williams played well and produce a good cross for 1st goal and was involved in the second goal. 

I had faith in the players and Mowbray to turn the game around and get us the win. Mowbray kept his cool and didn't change anything formation and that's was right tonight. 

The fans were amazing tonight and the best atmosphere Ive seen and heard since Mark Hughes days here as manager. 

1 defeat in 32 games, is great and I always had faith and believe in Mowbray and Players we would achieve promotion and we are very close to it. 

49 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Good post.

Bennett needs to be back in midfield in the next game but I don't think Mowbray trusts anyone else to play right back.

I'd like to see a 4-4-2 with Graham and Armstrong up front.  

so where does league 1 player of the season Bradley Dack play them? 

Dack has got 18 goals and 7 assists from the 10 role this season

22 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No it would need 3 at the back. So we need 2 new CH

That’s what I think Tony does next year. 3-5-2 with wing backs. I believe that’s his preferred formation. Did we not start at southend with that??

Chapman is probably the missing piece in this conundrum that we are having with 4-2-3-1.

However, this formation suits our best player more than any other and we should stick with it.

With who we have available, I would probably rather have Conway start in place of Antonsson and Payne, but let’s not discount the fact that we have 90 points and that we can only beat the teams in front of us - all of the personnel that have been picked have served us pretty bloody well.

We’ve had 3 strikers + Dack on the pitch at some point in the last few games, and I’m convinced that our attacking players are far too good for this league.

Seems like a decent strategy to me.

Is 4-4-2 still even a thing?

Three really good goals, we needed our main men to step up after both having had quiet spells. 

Mulgrew has had an own goal in him for weeks now and I have to say I thought he was totally at fault for the mix up - he didn’t know where Raya was so couldn’t know that suddenly leaving a dropping ball was safe to do. Reminded me a bit of Rio Ferdinand’s back header in the Bentley hat-trick game.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

For me, I like 352. I just think we need a virtually new team to play it effectively 

I dunno

———————-Raya———————

——-Lenihan New Mulgrew——

Nyambe/Travis————-Bell/New

———————-New New—————

————— ———-Dack——————

————Graham———New————

4 new starters and depth??

Crikey.

I think what a lot of people have lost sight of in the post FM world is that the players at your disposal should determine the formation just as much as the other way around.

Trying to build a side around some vague nuanced concept of a desired formation that might work or really might not; rather than just getting the best footballers on the pitch and getting the best out of them is absolutely crazy imo.

Of course it matters for recruiting in the right areas and in terms of defensive solidity but to advocate changing what works for us now completely and replacing 50% of our starting eleven with the likes of A.N. Other-Regista just seems barmy.

But crack on lads.

:P

1 hour ago, alcd said:

Evans is pants and adds nothing to the midfield. Can't believe that so many managers (including NI) keep using him. At best he's a 4th choice squad player. Actually think he's worse than Williams and that's saying something. really need two new CM players if promoted. Also need proper wide players as Ant and Arm offer little in that position even in this league. Recent performances highlight just how much improvement will be needed to survive in the Championship (assuming we get there). Being outplayed by the likes of MK Dons (2nd half),  Southend and Peterboro(1st half) does not auger well.

Did Williams play a part in the first two goals?

9 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Mulgrew has had an own goal in him for weeks now and I have to say I thought he was totally at fault for the mix up - he didn’t know where Raya was so couldn’t know that suddenly leaving a dropping ball was safe to do. Reminded me a bit of Rio Ferdinand’s back header in the Bentley hat-trick game.

Antonsson standing a couple of metres in front of Mulgrew, got the slightest of touches and Mulgrew had little time to adjust. One of those things I think.

15 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I dunno

———————-Raya———————

——-Lenihan New Mulgrew——

Nyambe/Travis————-Bell/New

———————-New New—————

————— ———-Dack——————

————Graham———New————

4 new starters and depth??

If say 2 footballing centre backs with pace to play with Charlie and put Lenihan at the base of the 3 in the middle 3 in midfield . Bit of an enforcer

Wow What a night! Debate on ere about Supporters from outside Blackburn not understanding about what it means. I am from the west coast of Ireland with only two Rovers supporters in my area but I tell you we felt that tonight as much as ye.? I read Tony's piece in the Lancashire Telegraph and I felt inspired by it.  Great night for every ROVERS supporter around the world. COYB ?⚪️⚽️???

4 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Wow - one defeat in 32, odds-on to go up, and all some people can do is moan.  

Ah I think you haven’t been around much this season Paul? It’s like this every single match. Rubbish team, selection, tactics etc.

To my mind what happened last night was obvious. Mowbray played pretty much the team we would expect. Yes there are aspects of it I’d like changed, Bennett in midfield, no Evans or Antonnson but we have to go with the players available. 

We started like we were determined to finish Peterborough off as quickly as possible. What no one seemed to expect was Posh looking one of the best three sides to visit Ewood this season. Dack and Armstrong weren’t making much impression and Smallwood seemed as nervous as a kitten. As the first half progressed players became more and more nervous, confidence began to drain away, leading to more mistakes allowing Peterborough’s midfield to dominate us. 

It was clear Mowbray had a huge job to do at halftime. He did it. The players immediately looked calmer, more confident and dropped the frenetic pace. Doing so reduced our errors and slowly but surely we created the chances we needed. 

It could have been heads down, the manager unable to lift the team and defeat. I thought Mowbray had the courage to stand by the players he’d selected, no panic changes and gave them the confidence at halftime to go out and perform in the second half to gain a huge victory.

I don’t know about Bury, sometimes relegated teams play with real freedom, but I can’t see Shrewsbury beating Peterborough next Tuesday if Posh perform as well as they did in the first half last night.

I’ve woken up still buzzing and can’t back to sleep!!

5 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

Definite red that evans tackle. Also thought Antonsson was a lucky boy to. Looked like he rasied his hands to their right back just before he got subbed.

Not seen that one back on tv though yet

Not to excuse the reaction by Antonnsson but he had just been emptied out by a Posh that went unpunished.

It was also probably the only time in the game that Antonnson made a physical challenge for anything.

Evans getting a lot of stick just because he's Evans.

Well there's no 2 ways about it, that first half was bobbins to watch. Part of me does think maybe Tony had done his homework though and there was slight method in the madness, and christ it worked come second half. 

Maybe he was happy to let them come at us first half and tire themselves out on a fairly stuffy evening to play in. Stats suggest they concede close to 70%of their goals second half too so that also fits into the theory. 

They definitely tired a lot as the result goes to show, I could have course be wrong and it's pure coincidence that certain players stood up to be counted second half but I've not had chance to read his interviews yet.

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

Didn't think this result was in doubt even at half time.  Let's face it, we could only improve.

This is a crap league borne out that our virtual one man team (Dack) has lost just one game in 30odd games.

Delighted to be heading back to Championship but unless there are huge changes at Ewood, we will be straight back down. 

On a man to man basis, this team fails miserably when compared to Lee and Kendall's promotion winning teams from this league.

I disagree with this. We've looked tired the last few games but we are more than a one man team - Danny Graham and Raya, for example, deserve some credit for their performances last night. 

If you average out Mowbray's points across a whole season in the championship last year we would have finished 9th. And I believe we have strengthened our squad this year - albeit tougher to judge being a league down. 

I'm no positive pirate, I will actually assume anyone I meet is a @#/? until they prove otherwise, but I think we are good enough to be comfortably mid table in the championship. I mean look at Millwall and Sheffield United - there isn't much difference between the top of League One and the play-offs in the Championship looking at those two this year. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Ah I think you haven’t been around much this season Paul? It’s like this every single match. Rubbish team, selection, tactics etc.

To my mind what happened last night was obvious. Mowbray played pretty much the team we would expect. Yes there are aspects of it I’d like changed, Bennett in midfield, no Evans or Antonnson but we have to go with the players available. 

We started like we were determined to finish Peterborough off as quickly as possible. What no one seemed to expect was Posh looking one of the best three sides to visit Ewood this season. Dack and Armstrong weren’t making much impression and Smallwood seemed as nervous as a kitten. As the first half progressed players became more and more nervous, confidence began to drain away, leading to more mistakes allowing Peterborough’s midfield to dominate us. 

It was clear Mowbray had a huge job to do at halftime. He did it. The players immediately looked calmer, more confident and dropped the frenetic pace. Doing so reduced our errors and slowly but surely we created the chances we needed. 

It could have been heads down, the manager unable to lift the team and defeat. I thought Mowbray had the courage to stand by the players he’d selected, no panic changes and gave them the confidence at halftime to go out and perform in the second half to gain a huge victory.

I don’t know about Bury, sometimes relegated teams play with real freedom, but I can’t see Shrewsbury beating Peterborough next Tuesday if Posh perform as well as they did in the first half last night.

I’ve woken up still buzzing and can’t back to sleep!!

Well said. Won't be a popular opinion on here I'd wager. 

Alls well that ends well. But at half time I was thinking we were crap in 2nd half at mk dons, heard we were fortunate vs southend, we were terrible in Gillingham, Bristol wasn’t great could barely watch mind, first half vs Peterborough same as Bristol. So effectively 5 poor 90 min displays. 2nd half different story more like first half vs mk dons play like that vs donny would be confident of 3 points.

So close now. 

8 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Firstly what a save by Raya. Absolutely brilliant save. I thought posh played very well tonight. The best team at ewood by a mile this season. The ref was very lenient towards rovers with at least one penalty that was not given and Evans is a very very lucky boy to stay on the pitch. I have no idea what mulgrew was attempting when he scored the oggy but apart from that pit in a very good performance along with Bennett who was also very good. Williams was very poor tonight and antonnsonn was woeful and I hope to God he is gone in the summer.  Poor first half , excellent last half hour and three points . It's clear to anyone with eyes we need Bennett back in the middle with Smallwood. We badly need some out and out wingers in the summer but Armstrong, although quiet tonight , has been an excellent addition this season and don't understand the over rated comments what's so ever. He is a striker not a winger but has done a great job doing what Tony has asked of him since joining. Is it me or has our form and shape gone to cock since nyambe got injured ? I gave the lad stick early in the season but I think we are missing him more than we would like to admit.

Yes!  I think Travis should be given a shot at right back with Bennett in midfield.

Archived