BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Peterborough

33 minutes ago, Joar said:

Am I the only one who think Evans basically tries to pass the ball with the inside of his right foot, but since the other bloke is faster, the ball isn't there anymoreand the lack of a football to hit makes Evans kick air and makes it look like a sliding tackle? In my view there's no malice and no intention of hitting the man. Admittedly it could have gone properly bad for the Posh player, but in the end the only thing that seems to hit him is Evans' trailing left foot.

Agree. Similar to what I posted after the game.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If we do go up people like Antonsson and Samuel have chipped in along the way with some crucial goals and that shouldn't be overlooked. Obviously Dack, Graham and Armstrong will get the plaudits and I suspect most people will be happy to see the back of Antonsson and Samuel but lets remember their contributions in vital wins such as Bradford and Scunthorpe away just as we were getting going.

This is true and systems he plays make it difficult for guys like that to get into any real groove both being strikers usually played on the wing, similar with Armstrong but he carries more graft and pace than those two.

Very much systems designed to just have as much firepower on the pitch at one time but without a gung ho formation rather than free flowing football however they've kept getting away with it and he knows in this league you can do that. Hurts the balance of the team until games open up and these guys find space infront of them to exploit but more often than not it's got the job done.

Not sure we'd be were we are if he'd been stubborn and persisted with that formation in the Doncaster game early doors.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Tackle of the season by Grant that, absolutely smashed antonsson and the ball, perfectly fair and one you want your midfield general to make 

I tend to agree but in the modern age many Refs would have called a foul.

Last nights Ref had quite a good game.

4 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I disagree with this. We've looked tired the last few games but we are more than a one man team - Danny Graham and Raya, for example, deserve some credit for their performances last night. 

If you average out Mowbray's points across a whole season in the championship last year we would have finished 9th. And I believe we have strengthened our squad this year - albeit tougher to judge being a league down. 

I'm no positive pirate, I will actually assume anyone I meet is a @#/? until they prove otherwise, but I think we are good enough to be comfortably mid table in the championship. I mean look at Millwall and Sheffield United - there isn't much difference between the top of League One and the play-offs in the Championship looking at those two this year. 

No Dack, no spark.  I think he's been worth at least 20 points to us this season.

Rovers relied much on Shearer's goals but we had some real quality in that team.  We may not have won the PL without Shearer but that team was far less dependent upon him than this team is on Dack.

Raya, Mulgrew and Graham have all contributed this season.  Next season, Raya wont get away with the errors he's made this season, they will cost us next season.  Charlie will be a year older, will he stand up to the intensity of the Championship given his history of injuries - this season has been a relative stroll in the park for him.  Graham has shown flashes of his ability but I think his legs have gone and next season in the Championship, it will  be difficult in the extreme for him.  

Without major investment, I think we will really struggle next season.  Some players, IMO, have already shown they haven't the bottle when the going gets tough and make no mistake next season will be tough.

14 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I'm sorry Leonard, I don't find it remotely funny and I hope your question was rhetorical.

Indeed, it was and I know that you know!

I am really enjoying these moments, but I cannot forget that promotion would only mean reaching the very level that caused so much rightful anger/ rage back in 2012.

I guess it must have taken hundreds of years to build build the ancient artefacts in Palmyra, but Isis destroyed them in a matter of days.

The parallels do not need to be laboured!

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You seem to miss the point that I have been attending some away games. I enjoyed those, even when we lost.

Lets see what the Chicken Chokers do in the close season.

Listening to the latest Podcast and Phillip L's very clear financial summary the V's can fund the Club any amount they want prior to 30th June under L1 FUP/FFP rules which could be spent in the summer transfer widow without upsetting the more draconian Championship rules.

Legally fund TM's 'bounce' through the Championship?

Ok I 'll wait and see and no holding of breath.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We are hard to beat, we either go up and try to hold on or ,our real strength imo, is when we need to come from behind, you can really see our strengths then. Also on the counter attack. Mowbrays first priority is to keep things tight, no matter who the opposition, can't fault him for that I suppose as we are top of the league(even though it doesn't feel like that sometimes). 

That game against Wigan at Ewood, as strange as it sounds, I think if Wigan scored first we would have won. When forced to go at teams we have such quality that you can see the opposition can't cope. Holding leads is when the problems start....I think our team, while having toughened up a lot physically on the pitch, can be a bit too nice at times. 

We have come from behind seven times to win or draw in league games and dropped points from winning positions five times. 

• J*B unpinned this topic
9 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I tend to agree but in the modern age many Refs would have called a foul.

Last nights Ref had quite a good game.

The referee would have had to deem the challenge as using 'excessive force'. It's another element of law introduced for referees to hide behind and for FIFA to try and sanitise the game. The people I go with all thought it was a great challenge and one that can inspire your team and supporters.

Anybody who has played the game would appreciate that challenge.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Listening to the latest Podcast and Phillip L's very clear financial summary the V's can fund the Club any amount they want prior to 30th June under L1 FUP/FFP rules which could be spent in the summer transfer widow without upsetting the more draconian Championship rules.

Legally fund TM's 'bounce' through the Championship?

Ok I 'll wait and see and no holding of breath.

Which draconian Championship rules are they ? The same ones that allowed Wolves to spend £15 million on one player ?

Just now, arbitro said:

The referee would have had to deem the challenge as using 'excessive force'. It's another element of law introduced for referees to hide behind and for FIFA to try and sanitise the game. The people I go with all thought it was a great challenge and one that can inspire your team and supporters.

Anybody who has played the game would appreciate that challenge.

Which I did at a decent amateur level and made Norman Hunter look like a choirboy creative midfielder. But those were different days.

So I deemed Grant's challenge did use excessive force hence Antonnsson on his arse.

I would not have reacted like Antonnson but would have got even.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Which draconian Championship rules are they ? The same ones that allowed Wolves to spend £15 million on one player ?

Wolves do got give a flying one about the Championship FFP rules which they have torn to shreds.

They will be in the PL and outside of Championship FFP penalty like Leicester and QPR before.

It seems that Rovers follow these rules..............

Which I did at a decent amateur level and made Norman Hunter look like a choirboy creative midfielder. But those were different days.

So I deemed Grant's challenge did use excessive force hence Antonnsson on his arse.

Me too. I used to say to wingers I was playing against- " I've seen how quick you are, let's see how brave you are ". Lots of players didn't like the physical side of being tackled hard but fairly. The Antonnson's of this world. Some did and then you had a battle on your hands. Occasionally a war.  I loved a tackle, giving or receiving. I never hurt a player but I shook a few up.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me too. I used to say to wingers I was playing against- " I've seen how quick you are, let's see how brave you are ". Lots of players didn't like the physical side of being tackled hard but fairly. The Antonnson's of this world. Some did and then you had a battle on your hands. Occasionally a war.  I loved a tackle, giving or receiving. I never hurt a player but I shook a few up.

I started out as a winger, then as CF and went to half-back at about 27. Then enjoyed doing to others what they had done to me. Never gave or received a leg break, can't say the same about noses though.

Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Grant tackle, he was just far too strong and committed for Antonnson, hence him getting knocked a couple of feet across the turf.

It's funny, some players get really wound up if you put them on their backside. I've been flattened a few times, it was part of the game. I got lifted right off the ground by my shirt collar once by one big animal.  Just like the Dave Mackay v Billy Bremner photo but my feet were off the ground ! Normally I'd just get back up and say " My turn next ".

The guy was a village idiot who got banned sine die a few years later for punching the ref ! He was a big bad guy but an OK bloke off the pitch, on it he was crazy. I only weighed about nine and a half stone then. I don't think he could pick me up now !

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It was right in front of me, I was nervous when antonsson went in he looked like he lost his head and was on his way to a silly red card 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

It was right in front of me, I was nervous when antonsson went in he looked like he lost his head and was on his way to a silly red card 

It could easily have gone that way for Antonsson, maybe the only 'challenge' he made all game.

I don't think being stuck wide left is doing his career prospects any good.

It could easily have gone that way for Antonsson, maybe the only 'challenge' he made all game.

I don't he'd be a success up front to be honest. He's not quick and he's not physical. You need to have a bit of one of those ingredients in you as a striker.

His career prospects aren't all that promising regardless of where he plays on the pitch, ARA.

Grant showed him what happens if you are a soft lad. I never rated Antonsson but when he was scoring it covered his technical and physical frailties. Now he isn't scoring it's apparent he's not cut out for it. I'm glad he's only a loan signing.

32 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Grant tackle, he was just far too strong and committed for Antonnson, hence him getting knocked a couple of feet across the turf.

If that tackle had happened to Bradley this Board would have been up in arms.

I have no problem with taking out the man if the ball is played first it's just that, sadly perhaps, the game has progressed resulting in more and more players like Antonsson who shun the physical side of the game. I cannot recall him making a challenge for anything, apart from his show of petulance.

As others have already said him being in front if Williams does nothing at all for Williams performance and is probably a negative.

If that tackle had happened to Bradley this Board would have been up in arms.

I have no problem with taking out the man if the ball is played first it's just that, sadly perhaps, the game has progressed resulting in more and more players like Antonsson who shun the physical side of the game. I cannot recall him making a challenge for anything, apart from his show of petulance.

As others have already said him being in front if Williams does nothing at all for Williams performance and is probably a negative.

Agreed, but at the end of the day he is a right footed striker playing left wing. We need 2 natural wingers in the summer ,as a priority. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Agreed, but at the end of the day he is a right footed striker playing left wing. 

And it REALLY showed last night, he looked completely out of his depth, felt for him a bit and I was glad when he was put out of his misery.

It is always interesting that some players seem to get stick - while others get off.

Evans last night was poor - but IMO Smallwood was worse and at points looked like he was running in treacle. 

If you take away Dack's goals - he had a poor night - often making the wrong choice and giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Similarly - Williams had a poor night - but contributed to two goals.

Granted both Dack and Smallwood have contributed far more over the season than Williams or Evans - but last night they were all part of a poor team performance in the 1st Half.

For anyone in the Jack Walker - the tackle on Antonsson looked to me dangerous under today's rules - what is your opinion ?

Archived