BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Peterborough

I’m honestly scratching me head at folk that think Williams is a decent player. Yes he had a part in two goals last night but give me 46 games and I would pop up with the odd helpful input. Way way below the standard needed. Fine for a backup left back/centre back next season but should not be a starter in a fully fit squad. Antonsson is hopeless, get rid. Armstrong is a striker and only worth signing if he is going to be played there. However I don’t think he could play as a one up top so unless we are playing with a two there is no point. I hope mowbray signs players for actual positions as I’m a little tired of seeing centre mids in rb/lb, centre defence, and strikers out on wings. We must be the most patched up team in all of England with people playing out of natural positions. It’s worked to a degree but not what I want to see going forward 

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 47er said:

We seem to have played half a game all season don't we? Wigan game a great example but the other way round ie great first half, rubbish second. Hardly ever put an opponent under the cosh as Wigan have, but have enough individual skill and great team spirit to do enough----usually!

One could equally argue Wigan are flat track bullies. They failed to win at home against us, Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Bradford and Charlton - I’m sure they’d have swapped the 7-0 at Oxford for grinding out wins in those games.

2 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Armstrong is a striker and only worth signing if he is going to be played there. However I don’t think he could play as a one up top so unless we are playing with a two there is no point.

He's scored 9 goals since he signed in January, mainly from out wide. There he can run in off the touchline like he did against MK Dons away to great effect and home to Wigan. He's lightening quick and a great finisher. Your judgement is questionable.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

He's scored 9 goals since he signed in January, mainly from out wide. There he can run in off the touchline like he did against MK Dons away to great effect. He's lightening quick and a great finisher. Your judgement is questionable.

Against MKD he looked awesome particularly in the first half. The ball played to him by Graham, was exceptional and the finish, pure class.

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Some people won't like the sound of Samuel the striker playing on the wing! I agree though after his cameo last night he deserves a start at Donny. 

We don't really have much choice. If we win Tuesday, I would like to see him upfront against Charlton. Rest DG for his homecoming celebration against Oxford 

Thoughts on game:

Too many players played out of position - rb and both wide mids. Can get away with it in this division, but not sure we will at a higher level. Being out of position showed.

First half both full backs were terrible, especially Bennett. It seemed like he was beaten by the wide player every time they ran at him.

Antonson is not a footballer. Very involved but no effectiveness whatsoever.

The service the two wide players got was so different. Antonson had the ball played to feet whilst Armstrong had it lumped up to him. A foolish tactic Imo as Armstrong is small and never going to win that battle.

World class save from Raya.

Asked myself what was the difference between first and second half. Big difference is we kept the ball and didn't carelessly give it away.

The other big difference - albeit the 2 are highly correlated - is that most of our build up play in the 2nd half started with the full backs as oppose to the 2 deep midfielders. Clearly for all their strengths they aren't great passers and struggle to get things going. That needs addressing next season unless Whittingham steps up.

Dack is a cut above quality wise.

Finally it was magical to hear the crowd chanting we are going up, the atmosphere was incredible. Moments like this show the club isn't dead yet and an ember of the old magic remains

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Samuel did his job really well last night, really helped the team 

Yeh! he did nothing except slow it down and run down the clock the useless cockney waste of space.

It should be free to watch players like Dominic Samuel.

No wonder there are so many empty seats at Ewood Park with clowns like this lad.

28 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He's scored 9 goals since he signed in January, mainly from out wide. There he can run in off the touchline like he did against MK Dons away to great effect and home to Wigan. He's lightening quick and a great finisher. Your judgement is questionable.

Iv backed you up from your comments last night so disappointed to get this back. What’s the point of buying a striker to play right wing when we could sign a right wing to play right wing. He is not a winger and shouldn’t be signed to play there, he was anonymous last night. He has pace a plenty so of course he can have an impact no matter where he plays but he wants to be a striker and if pursued must be to play up top. I’m a great believer in the little and large partnership up top and he would be great as the Kevin Phillips type

44 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m honestly scratching me head at folk that think Williams is a decent player. Yes he had a part in two goals last night but give me 46 games and I would pop up with the odd helpful input. Way way below the standard needed. Fine for a backup left back/centre back next season but should not be a starter in a fully fit squad. Antonsson is hopeless, get rid. Armstrong is a striker and only worth signing if he is going to be played there. However I don’t think he could play as a one up top so unless we are playing with a two there is no point. I hope mowbray signs players for actual positions as I’m a little tired of seeing centre mids in rb/lb, centre defence, and strikers out on wings. We must be the most patched up team in all of England with people playing out of natural positions. It’s worked to a degree but not what I want to see going forward 

Armstrong couldn't outpace their left back last night ! 

Antonsson has been handy at times this season but it's time to shake his hand and say thanks then move on i'll be very disappointed if they pay money and give championship wages to that guy.

Time for horses for courses next season whether we go up or don't, no way will we get away with the unbalanced first halves they keep churning out in the division above.

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, JAL said:

Yeh! he did nothing except slow it down and run down the clock the useless cockney waste of space.

No wonder there are so many empty seats at Ewood Park with clowns like this lad.

Don't hold back mate, tell us what you really think. 

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Just absolutely deluded! 

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Antonsson has been handy at times this season but it's time to shake his hand and say thanks then move on i'll be very disappointed if they pay money and give championship wages to that guy.

Time for horses for courses next season whether we go up or don't, no way will we get away with the unbalanced first halves they keep churning out in the division above.

Ya, there is no point signing a striker to play on the wing and he wouldn't start upfront 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, there is no point signing a striker to play on the wing and he wouldn't start upfront 

I could see him switching to defensive wide men in the Championship, having basically four strikers on in a non all out attacking system you can get away with in league 1 obviously but stepping up it won't work. We struggled last time with centre mids being plonked out there at times and one or two decent wingers in Marshall, Conway etc, chronic lack of raw pace killed us.

3 hours ago, 47er said:

You've got me wondering now Leonard----who would be the worst owners, Venkys or IS? 

On a serious matter, if we spend next season struggling in the lower reaches of the Championship, we will be asking what the point of this season was.

Fund TM or sell!

They can spend under EFL rules until 1 July or something..but etc

Turned out to be a great night in the end but my god we made heavy weather of it in the first half.

I think fans often forget where we ply our trade these days, we're 3rd division, with players that don't have the ability, concentration or mental toughness to work at a much higher level than they're currently at and that showed last night, a team full of nerves that couldn't make the simplest of passes.

But full credit to the manager, the reaction he got in the 2nd half never looked possible at HT and whilst we're always quick to criticise, he deserves nothing but credit for turning things around.

Brilliant result, superb second half performance and we're almost there.

All roads lead to Donny!

3 hours ago, JAL said:

Maybe if Sam Gallagher against Preston  did what Samuel did so well yesterday, we wouldn't have been relegated.

3 hours ago, JAL said:

Armstrong couldn't outpace their left back last night ! 

Some players are quick over twenty yards,  some are slower over twenty yards but will beat you over forty yards. For a striker you need the guy who's quickest over the twenty yards. For a winger the guy who is quickest over forty yards  may be best. Watch pro teams doing sprint training,  the usual suspects win the  twenty yard races but you'd be surprised who wins the  fifty yard races.

15 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Maybe if Sam Gallagher against Preston  did what Samuel did so well yesterday, we wouldn't have been relegated.

I'm not sure if anyone knows Mowbray's opinion on Gallagher (I don't remember him specifically referring to him when he left last season?) but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at Ewood next season. I thought he showed signs of being a good CF/Target man at times. He was also very good when he played on the wing at Brentford in the role Mowbray has had Samauel and AA playing this season.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I'm not sure if anyone knows Mowbray's opinion on Gallagher (I don't remember him specifically referring to him when he left last season?) but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at Ewood next season. I thought he showed signs of being a good CF/Target man at times. He was also very good when he played on the wing at Brentford in the role Mowbray has had Samauel and AA playing this season.

I know he's in  a poor team this season but he hasn't exactly set the World on fire at Big Club.

Archived