BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Promotion Teams

On a wet Sunday morning I was just thinking about the  teams that got us promotion from this level of football.

The Gordon Lee team - 4-3-3 system.

Jones

Heaton, Hawkins, Fazackerly, Burgin.

Metcalfe , Oates, Parkes.

Beamish, Hickman, Martin.

The Howard Kendall team -  still a 4-3-3 system then.

Arnold

Branigan, Keeley, Fazackerly, Rathbone

Brotherston, Kendall, Parkes

Crawford, Garner, McKenzie

I had a combined team from those two -

Jones

Heaton, Keeley, Fazackerly, Burgin.

Metcalfe, Kendall, Parkes.

Brotherston, Garner, McKenzie.

If we were going up this season with that team I'd be really confident of doing well.

How many of the current team would be good enough ?

Charlie Boy instead of Faz ? Dack instead of Parkes or McKenzie, ? Bennett instead of Heaton ?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

On a wet Sunday morning I was just thinking about the  teams that got us promotion from this level of football.

The Gordon Lee team - 4-3-3 system.

Jones

Heaton, Hawkins, Fazackerly, Burgin.

Metcalfe , Oates, Parkes.

Beamish, Hickman, Martin.

The Howard Kendall team -  still a 4-3-3 system then.

Arnold

Branigan, Keeley, Fazackerly, Rathbone

Brotherston, Kendall, Parkes

Crawford, Garner, McKenzie

I had a combined team from those two -

Jones

Heaton, Keeley, Fazackerly, Burgin.

Metcalfe, Kendall, Parkes.

Brotherston, Garner, McKenzie.

If we were going up this season with that team I'd be really confident of doing well.

How many of the current team would be good enough ?

Charlie Boy instead of Faz ? Dack instead of Parkes or McKenzie, ? Bennett instead of Heaton ?

Didn't Stuart Metcalfe play in 75 and 80 ??

Dack  and Mulgrew  probably the only ones ....

Made the point some days ago that this team doesn't bare comparison with those of Lee and Kendall.  There was some real quality, and steel, in both those teams.

Without substantial investment, and I think we need an additional 5 or 6 quality additions, I think we will really, really struggle.

If Dack is still here, will be interesting to see how he fares in the Championship.  The lad is chronically slow and this may well hold him back.  Also strikes me as the type of player who is the icing on the cake for a 'good' team and not the type for the thorns and nettles of a survival battle.

As for Charlie, it's been a stroll in the park this season and why I think we've got so many games out of him.  Will be a huge change in intensity next year and doubtful whether his body will handle that.

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The lad is chronically slow and this may well hold him back.

He really isn't

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Without substantial investment, and I think we need an additional 5 or 6 quality additions, I think we will really, really struggle.

The squad needs filling out but the team that won points under Mogga last season is still there and probably better. I see no reason the current team couldn't finish mid-table. Look at Sheff Utd and Millwall for evidence, neither of who spent a great deal last summer.

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Also strikes me as the type of player who is the icing on the cake for a 'good' team and not the type for the thorns and nettles of a survival battle

Disagree, he's got a physical side to his game and is always willing to drop back to get involved.

Bit unfair to compare a combined team with the current one, especially when Kendall’s team almost got promoted again the following year. The comparison with Lee’s team is more valid, I’d take Sir Roger and that back four every day of the week, but then I’d take Dack, Graham and Armstrong over Martin, Beamish and Hickman.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Bit unfair to compare a combined team with the current one, especially when Kendall’s team almost got promoted again the following year. The comparison with Lee’s team is more valid, I’d take Sir Roger and that back four every day of the week, but then I’d take Dack, Graham and Armstrong over Martin, Beamish and Hickman.

The Don was a really good player in several positions but Beamo and Hickman were just bang average.

37 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I always find it difficult to compare teams from different generations given the changes that have happened in the years between. Players are fitter and quicker now as the game demands more athleticism. It's pretty much non contact now and the players equipment, balls and pitches are much better. They have sports scientists, analysts, fitness coaches, goalkeeper coaches, masseuse, doctors and physiotherapists readily fawning to their every whim.

Having said that what I'd give for a Hawkins type centre half now.

3 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

The Don was a real class act.  Think he would have left Rovers and joined a First Division club if it hadn't have been for that awful ankle break - never quite the same player after that.  IMV, head and shoulders above any of the current crew. 

Can we go 442 with Parkes Mecalfe Kendall and Brotherston ? reckon that would have been more than good enough - might need a diamond for that though

Always liked  Rathbone - he would be a shoe in and would add some width 

Hawkins v Keeley - not much in that Hawkins for reliability Keeley to do some kicking and winding up of opposing fans and  players -wouldn't last 5minutes inthe modern game though

Mulgrew over Faz maybe

Garner always -agree about Don Martin past his best in that team

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I always find it difficult to compare teams from different generations given the changes that have happened in the years between. Players are fitter and quicker now as the game demands more athleticism. It's pretty much non contact now and the players equipment, balls and pitches are much better. They have sports scientists, analysts, fitness coaches, goalkeeper coaches, masseuse, doctors and physiotherapists readily fawning to their every whim.

Having said that what I'd give for a Hawkins type centre half now.

Have the match officials got any better Arbitro ? I agree about Hawkins, just what we needed this season.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Have the match officials got any better Arbitro ? I agree about Hawkins, just what we needed this season.

I remember speaking to Neil Midgeley a few years after he retired and he said he would struggle to referee even after a short time since finishing. The laws changed quickly after years of no changes but the biggest difference was player management. If you remember Neil he was of small, stocky stature and not the quickest but was so quick witted and could often defuse situations with a smile and joke. I don't see too much of this type of management these days as the powers that be aren't too keen. There is the added pressure of a multitude of cameras these days too which can pick up on any minor misdemeanour. I think there was more respect for referees then but maybe that's more indicative of society then and now.

Archived