BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pitch Invasion of sorts

AAK

Is anyone aware that one of the Rovers fans groups put in an application to the club, in respect of allowing fans onto the pitch to celebrate at the final whistle, for the Oxford game and the club have accepted the application?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AAK said:

Is anyone aware that one of the Rovers fans groups put in an application to the club, in respect of allowing fans onto the pitch to celebrate at the final whistle, for the Oxford game and the club have accepted the application?

I’m not aware of this but I hope it’s been turned down. Last night the players and fans were twice denied the spontaneous emotional celebrations which comes on the night at the final whistle by two pitch invasions. This despite appeals from Tony Mowbray and the majority of the support who remained in the stands. First invasion, it was going to happen, the second denied us the chance to celebrate.

Against Oxford there will be a pre planned, stage managed parade. It will lack spontaneity and we really don’t need fans on the pitch stopping this one.

I hope we get a real celebration at The Valley. 

Just now, Paul said:

I’m not aware of this but I hope it’s been turned down. Last night the players and fans were twice denied the spontaneous emotional celebrations which comes on the night at the final whistle by two pitch invasions. This despite appeals from Tony Mowbray and the majority of the support who remained in the stands. First invasion, it was going to happen, the second denied us the chance to celebrate.

Against Oxford there will be a pre planned, stage managed parade. It will lack spontaneity and we really don’t need fans on the pitch stopping this one.

I would disagree and say that a pitch invasion is the very definition of a spontaneous emotional celebration.  The fans should have stayed in the stands afterwards at the request of the manager though.  

Just now, Pedro said:

I would disagree and say that a pitch invasion is the very definition of a spontaneous emotional celebration.  The fans should have stayed in the stands afterwards at the request of the manager though.  

As I said yes the first was going to happen. The second happened after the tannoy, the manager and the fans in the stands had made clear what was needed. That’s all.

No criticism simply pointing out we don’t need another celebration curtailed by a pitch invasion.

26 minutes ago, Paul said:

Apparently that Mark Fish from BRAG has said it's been granted by the club.

It should be made clear to all fans before the game that any pitch incursion will mean that there will be no celebration or lap of honour by the players. If an invasion does occur, then it will likely be by the self-centred clowns who spoiled end of the Doncaster game for the majority of fans, and prove that those who were there were right to criticise those who went on the pitch last night. If the Rovers have agreed to allow fans onto the pitch, it is a crazy idea.

4 hours ago, Giant said:

It should be made clear to all fans before the game that any pitch incursion will mean that there will be no celebration or lap of honour by the players. If an invasion does occur, then it will likely be by the self-centred clowns who spoiled end of the Doncaster game for the majority of fans, and prove that those who were there were right to criticise those who went on the pitch last night. If the Rovers have agreed to allow fans onto the pitch, it is a crazy idea.

I agree with the first part of your post. The pitch invasion was done last night and there should be the traditional lap of honour after the Oxford game. 

Re the second part of your post - I take this as a moan at anybody who went on the pitch last night - not just those who went back on the 2nd and 3rd times? I agree the fans should have come back to the stand after the initial wave.

But your criticism is seemingly against anybody who went on the pitch. The criticism is quite frankly pathetic. Stop speaking as though you speak for the majority. You really don’t. 

Rovers have had some great coverage in the media today  - see Granada tonight and Northwest tonight - as a result of the pitch invasion and joyous scenes at the end.

I have had old uni mates who support other teams around the country texting to compliment on the great scenes at the end.

Have you seen the photo of Bradley Dack been carried around the pitch by Rovers fans? The Match of the Day twitter site described it as a great photo that perfectly captures the emotion of football. It will become an iconic photo in years to come. 

Did you see the media coverage of Wigan’s promotion at Fleetwood? No neither did I because it was a damp squib. Bit of a clap between players and fans; that was the end of that. Will be talked about for years to come.... said nobody ever.

i take offence at being called a “self centred clown” by running on the pitch in a once in a 20/30 year moment with hundreds (if not a thousand) others that will be looked back with fondness in years to come. 

My point was aimed at those who invaded for a second time, who were definitely being selfish because they stopped the players coming to the fans who just wanted to see them celebrate. There were a lot of people around us who were very upset at the selfishness of the second wave of “invaders”. TM asked them to get off the pitch, they ignored him. To me, that is plain ignorant. Sorry if you were offended, but the majority of fans there last night felt let down by the minority.

2 minutes ago, Giant said:

My point was aimed at those who invaded for a second time, who were definitely being selfish because they stopped the players coming to the fans who just wanted to see them celebrate. There were a lot of people around us who were very upset at the selfishness of the second wave of “invaders”. TM asked them to get off the pitch, they ignored him. To me, that is plain ignorant. Sorry if you were offended, but the majority of fans there last night felt let down by the minority.

I came off after the initial invasion and stayed off. I misconstrued your post at being aimed at all of us. I take the point about the 2nd wave. 

From the photos I've seen and reports I've read I gather there was a pitch invasion the last time Rovers clinched promotion from the 3rd tier, I wonder if everyone mooched back off and stood there like good boys and girls waiting for the players to come out back then ?

I also wonder if so many looked to find offence in it because it didn't suit them ?

Better to just marvel at the passion and emotion of something that really isn't uncommon in football rather than whine and call fellow supporters of the same team names because they were enjoying themselves.

Leave that to those who do it for a hobby.

Doncaster Rovers went out of their way last night to be accommodating and to try & create an event for Rovers fans and players. After the initial “spontaneous” invasion there were concerted attempts to try and create a safe mutual celebration. Those fans that went on a 2nd & 3rd time prevented that from happening which I thought was a great shame. When the players came out and did the slides etc I thought “this is terrific” & then that was it...it was all selfies on the pitch time and the players disappeared into the throng.At the time I was really disappointed for all those that held back in the belief that we’d see the team and get a chance to acknowledge each other.

I think if a pitch “invasion” is sanctioned by the club for the Oxford game, then the players will probably be in the director’s box and fewer fans will have the chance to get close to them. Self-defeating IMHO.

I don't know. Fancy being young and pished and doing daft things...like a 2nd pitch invasion because the 1st one was fun.  Selfish bastards. Didn't they realise that some middle-aged men who did the same thing in the 70's were now too unfit to get on the pitch a 2nd time, and this time just wanted a big group hug with the team and a photo...and then a nap.

Bring back National Service. 

I'd be shocked if the club agreed to let fans on; though it tallies with Rovers fans having the entire lower DE (meaning no police cordon separating Rovers fans on the pitch from the Oxford fans in the stand is needed). It'd be a bit small-time to have another pitch invasion for finishing 2nd though; if we do overtake Wigan then fair enough.

30 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Doncaster Rovers went out of their way last night to be accommodating and to try & create an event for Rovers fans and players. After the initial “spontaneous” invasion there were concerted attempts to try and create a safe mutual celebration. Those fans that went on a 2nd & 3rd time prevented that from happening which I thought was a great shame. When the players came out and did the slides etc I thought “this is terrific” & then that was it...it was all selfies on the pitch time and the players disappeared into the throng.At the time I was really disappointed for all those that held back in the belief that we’d see the team and get a chance to acknowledge each other.

I think if a pitch “invasion” is sanctioned by the club for the Oxford game, then the players will probably be in the director’s box and fewer fans will have the chance to get close to them. Self-defeating IMHO.

I don't think there will be that same emotion next week, last 10 minutes, Charlie bagging the winner, that was the spark, the tension knowing Shrewsbury were winning and we needed a goal....Kids on that pitch will remember it for ever and the players being mobbed is exactly why they play....

51 minutes ago, tomphil said:

From the photos I've seen and reports I've read I gather there was a pitch invasion the last time Rovers clinched promotion from the 3rd tier, I wonder if everyone mooched back off and stood there like good boys and girls waiting for the players to come out back then ?

I also wonder if so many looked to find offence in it because it didn't suit them ?

Better to just marvel at the passion and emotion of something that really isn't uncommon in football rather than whine and call fellow supporters of the same team names because they were enjoying themselves.

Leave that to those who do it for a hobby.

Spot on. Just to see thousands of Rovers fans unanomously delirious is surely enough not to start criticising their invasion etticute. 

Like I said earlier, these next 2 games, especially Oxford will see a more reserved form of celebration im sure, yesterday was just pure joy/relief/happiness and nothing unsavoury happened.

Im not even sure it was a minority, and I doubt the vast majority knew that Mowbray wanted them back in their seats anyway.

If you were there you’d have seen that no one had a problem with the first invasion - there was a good 15 minutes of pitch time.

What was annoying about the second invasion, is that everyone had cleared the pitch, the players emerged, so the whole 4,000 were about to celebrate with them, and a couple of hundred charged back on - much fewer than the initial invasion. The players ran back off and that was that.

• Backroom

Looking at the videos you can see the players didn’t want that second one, Mulgrew leads the charge and slides and as soon as he sees the mob running on gets up and sprints back to the dressing room faster than I’ve ever seen him run 

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I don't know. Fancy being young and pished and doing daft things...like a 2nd pitch invasion because the 1st one was fun.  Selfish bastards. Didn't they realise that some middle-aged men who did the same thing in the 70's were now too unfit to get on the pitch a 2nd time, and this time just wanted a big group hug with the team and a photo...and then a nap.

Bring back National Service. 

@Mattyblue nailed it. There was plenty of what you described & then Doncaster Rovers tried to create something “safe” to enable all of the fans to pay tribute. The players were clearly keen. Any spontaneity had long since evaporated. I was disappointed, that’s all. Seemed a bit anti-climactic.

Archived