BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season highlight?

Possibly a bit early with 2 games still to come and half a chance of winning the league but I'd be interested to see what games or periods go down as people's highlights in this successful season. Which games or goals will be remembered for a long time to come? Which games or goals should be considered season defining more than others? Clearly every win and every goal is important but some just live long in the memory.

Obviously last night will with Mulgrew's winning goal and jubilant scenes afterwards.

Others?

The win at Fleetwood was a big one. Smallwood's goal brilliant. Also that home win over Shrewsbury was massive.

I loved the Bury, Peterborough and Blackpool away games.

Narrow wins at Bradford and Scunthorpe early on crucial in getting us up and running at the expense of two sides who started the season well and looked like being serious threats.

I've just loved all of the hassling defenders, nicking the ball and bearing down on goal that has become a feature of Rovers play this season - a great example being Danny Graham's set up for Bradders last Thursday night for the final goal. It typifies a hungry and never say die attitude that, in football, is definitely the difference between winners and losers. WE ARE WINNERS again!!!

Can't see anything beating Mulgrews goal last night, that will take top spot for sure. 

I think Bradford away was a big one earlier on in the season too, hadn't lost at home for 16 months, we had lost our opening two games. Huge result that was.

Peterborough & Fleetwood away, Shrewsbury and second half against Peterborough at Ewood were also highlights.

Whilst it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, what a shame we couldn't hold on to that two goal lead against Wigan in March.

I was in holidays in Barcelona when we played MK dons at home. Got back to my room and checked the score, seeing we won 4-1. I was half-expecting to see we lost. I remember thinking that I couldn't remember feeling so relived after checking the score in one of our games. I thought at that point " maybe we will do alright this year actually"

I think the 0-1 against Bradford away was a huge turning point. We went to (at that point) one of the most difficult grounds in the league and ground out a win

Beating Shrewsbury 3-1

Drawing with and outplaying Wigan with 10 men 

Blowing Wigan away in the first half at Ewood

Wimbledon away had banana skin written all over , won 0-3 

That team goal away at Peterborough 

Leon Bests own goal 

1 hour ago, WIR Second Coming said:

I've just loved all of the hassling defenders, nicking the ball and bearing down on goal that has become a feature of Rovers play this season - a great example being Danny Graham's set up for Bradders last Thursday night for the final goal. It typifies a hungry and never say die attitude that, in football, is definitely the difference between winners and losers. WE ARE WINNERS again!!!

Totally with you.

We've had years of allowng the opposition time on the ball, sitting deep and generally letting the other side control the game, especially in midfield. Last night was another great example of the high intensity game that has served us so well, Shrewsbury at home another when Smallwood and Bennett destroyed them.

Yes we will be against better teams next season, but those fundamentals, many of which are performed off the ball, will serve us well.

Although it's not a highlight as such I think the game at Bradford was pivotal to our season. We started with two defeats and looked awful and lost in a system that had the players and fans baffled. We went to a solid formation in this game and won 1-0 with a professional performance which was kind of a template for a lot of away games.

Maybe not exactly a highlight, but I think the big win at Bury so soon after Oldham away was a big one. 

I know they weren't any great shake(r)s, but that was the first time I remember completely dominating a team on their own patch and that our 'too big for this league' tag was a help rather than a hindrance. 

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

The steward falling over the hoarding. Legend!

He actually broke his arm in that fall. I was in the Premier Suite at a game shortly after were he was the guest of honour and the compere gave him some good natured ribbing.

Archived