BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

He looks too nice to be gritty, not a patch on aggression of lenihan. 

Wasnt a brief dip in form it’s been an entire second half of the season, hasn’t recovered from that yellow card nonsense. 

As I said however I would keep him as a backup for Injuries, get rid of Evans. 

The lads obviously get on and he has a catchy song, not a shock that they sang it in the changing room. Doesn’t mean he is guaranteed a first team start next year. 

Watched too many times late on in games Smallwood is blowing and the opposition gets on top of us, often running past him ala pboro or not getting out to dangerous areas aka Bristol rovers late goal 

Let’s just say we disagree.

• Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

I don’t get the clamour for buying ex players back. Been there, move on and look for some new players.

Agreed, I certainly wouldn’t want Hanley, Rhodes, Gestede, Lowe, akpan, Mahoney back, for a mixture of annoyed they left us, not good enough or too much having to play for them rather than as a team.

id let my morals drop for cairney however haha if only 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

I know you were joking (20 year deal, surely? ?) but giving Dack a new deal would be a good move. Not sure what sort of wage he is on but I’m guessing it’s not the going rate for a championship player (even for paupers like us)

He’s had a cracking season and it would be a move to ward off any potential suitors.

Mulgrew and Lenihan need new deals too.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Chaddy why do you keep suggesting Henegan from Sheff United.We were interested last summer but he moved to Sheffield United and has hardly played.They obviously don't think he is ready for the Championship so why should we be interested in him.

On Gladwin what have you seen from him that makes you willing to give him a chance?

Keep Conway....Keep Gladwin plus you want us to sign players this summer are you wanting us to have a 35 man squad next season.

We shouldn't be keeping the likes of Gladwin. Conway has been a great servant but his time is sadly up he should be let go to make room for new additions.

Agree with all of that.

Just now, K-Hod said:

I don’t get the clamour for buying ex players back. Been there, move on and look for some new players.

Is it just a Rovers thing or do all clubs do it? Big world out there like let’s get some lads 23-30 years of age in, mixed bag of experience and potential and build a semi competitive squad. You don’t have to spend absolute fortunes.

Raya is more than capable of being our first choice keeper in league one. Haven’t seen enough of Leutwiler to make a proper judgement but he’ll do for back up.

I’d expect to see Bell starting at left wing back next season as I think that’s why Tony brought him. I’ve seen enough of him to say that suits his attributes. Williams can always fill in when needed. 

I think Tony will be happy enough with Lenihan and Mulgrew at centre back with either Williams or Downing joining them, I’d like to see us sign a proven Championship centre half who’d start every game. Wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t. 

I’m not convinced by Nyambe at right wing back in the Championship starting week in week out, I think we could do with signing someone to be first choice with Nyambe as back up. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bennett cement that place as his own and us not sign anyone. 

Smallwood will start in the middle for us but I’m not the biggest fan of him with Bennett and Evans next to him. We need a bit of quality next to Smallwood. Probably my top priority signing is a good centre mid to compliment Smallwood.

We need proper width. At the moment we’ve only really got Bennett and Conway. For me Conway’s legs have gone and he isn’t the player he was a couple of seasons ago, I would keep him as a squad player but he cannot be starting for us in the Championship next year. I’d like to see Chapman return depending on how he’s recovered from his injury.

I think we could have a chance of permanent signing of Armstrong or at least try him on another season long loan. Our squad is very lacking in pace. 

Dack is Dack he’s our main man. Don’t fancy Payne on a permanent deal even as back up. I think we can sign a better back up for Dack maybe someone who could genuinely slot into playing centre midfield or out wide not someone who looks like they’ve been cast out there to squeeze them in.

Graham deserves the chance to be our main forward leading the line after his second half of the season. Samuel isn’t up to it. Need good competition for Graham a player in a similar style. Hopefully we’d have Armstrong to play a different way with his pace. If not we need to sign a forward pace.

I just don’t know what to make of Nuttall only young the lad can’t see him being on mega bucks keep him around I guess. 

I’d send Antonsson back to Leeds. Works hard has played his part but I don’t see the potential for him leading the line or becoming a genuine thread from out wide.

Already covered Payne and Samuel but I’d also show the door to Whittingham, Gladwin, Caddis, Hart, Ward (keen to see back of him on his obscene wages!) and Feeny seems a bad egg and will no doubt want out.

Cant decide on Evans he’s had his moments and isn’t that old really. I think we could get someone more reliable for the money he’s on though. 

The squad needs a lot of work for the big step up to Championship next season, a few lads are on quite high wages who we don’t really need. I think there are better players out there we could get for the cash we’re paying. 

• Like 5

Just now, Garage Flower said:

Is it just a Rovers thing or do all clubs do it? Big world out there like let’s get some lads 23-30 years of age in, mixed bag of experience and potential and build a semi competitive squad. You don’t have to spend absolute fortunes.

Raya is more than capable of being our first choice keeper in league one. Haven’t seen enough of Leutwiler to make a proper judgement but he’ll do for back up.

I’d expect to see Bell starting at left wing back next season as I think that’s why Tony brought him. I’ve seen enough of him to say that suits his attributes. Williams can always fill in when needed. 

I think Tony will be happy enough with Lenihan and Mulgrew at centre back with either Williams or Downing joining them, I’d like to see us sign a proven Championship centre half who’d start every game. Wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t. 

I’m not convinced by Nyambe at right wing back in the Championship starting week in week out, I think we could do with signing someone to be first choice with Nyambe as back up. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bennett cement that place as his own and us not sign anyone. 

Smallwood will start in the middle for us but I’m not the biggest fan of him with Bennett and Evans next to him. We need a bit of quality next to Smallwood. Probably my top priority signing is a good centre mid to compliment Smallwood.

We need proper width. At the moment we’ve only really got Bennett and Conway. For me Conway’s legs have gone and he isn’t the player he was a couple of seasons ago, I would keep him as a squad player but he cannot be starting for us in the Championship next year. I’d like to see Chapman return depending on how he’s recovered from his injury.

I think we could have a chance of permanent signing of Armstrong or at least try him on another season long loan. Our squad is very lacking in pace. 

Dack is Dack he’s our main man. Don’t fancy Payne on a permanent deal even as back up. I think we can sign a better back up for Dack maybe someone who could genuinely slot into playing centre midfield or out wide not someone who looks like they’ve been cast out there to squeeze them in.

Graham deserves the chance to be our main forward leading the line after his second half of the season. Samuel isn’t up to it. Need good competition for Graham a player in a similar style. Hopefully we’d have Armstrong to play a different way with his pace. If not we need to sign a forward pace.

I just don’t know what to make of Nuttall only young the lad can’t see him being on mega bucks keep him around I guess. 

I’d send Antonsson back to Leeds. Works hard has played his part but I don’t see the potential for him leading the line or becoming a genuine thread from out wide.

Already covered Payne and Samuel but I’d also show the door to Whittingham, Gladwin, Caddis, Hart, Ward (keen to see back of him on his obscene wages!) and Feeny seems a bad egg and will no doubt want out.

Cant decide on Evans he’s had his moments and isn’t that old really. I think we could get someone more reliable for the money he’s on though. 

The squad needs a lot of work for the big step up to Championship next season, a few lads are on quite high wages who we don’t really need. I think there are better players out there we could get for the cash we’re paying. 

Agree with pretty much all of that

56 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

There'll be some asking for a third stint from Feeney next :o

As a squad man on a sensible deal i'd be tempted to keep Conway he can come on shoring up one flank and do the muck and bullets stuff like a defensive wide man later in games. Certainly I don't think he's up to being a regular starter anymore but he'd be a reliable squad man and good guy to keep around the place maybe.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

Agree with all of this apart from the bolded part. I think he has looked excellent in parts and its only because of Dack that he has not featured more. The kid has obvious talent and i believe more technical ability than Dack. Dack is a dribbler, a direct kind of guy while this guy is more tactile. 

Played a big part in Hudds getting promotion the year before. If we can get him in for a good deal, i wouldn't be too disappointed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Chaddy why do you keep suggesting Henegan from Sheff United.We were interested last summer but he moved to Sheffield United and has hardly played.They obviously don't think he is ready for the Championship so why should we be interested in him.

On Gladwin what have you seen from him that makes you willing to give him a chance?

Keep Conway....Keep Gladwin plus you want us to sign players this summer are you wanting us to have a 35 man squad next season.

We shouldn't be keeping the likes of Gladwin. Conway has been a great servant but his time is sadly up he should be let go to make room for new additions.

People didnt think Downing was good enough he performance good enough this season. 

Ive agree tomphil assesment why to keep Conway. See that. 

We will lose certain players in summer. People like Caddis, Ward, Whittingham, but we got under 23's who are good enough to be part of the squad

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What is your Gladwin hope based on? He was lazy and generally awful when he played early in the season, and has since had serious injuries. He also came with ridicule from QPR fans so theres nothing to suggest he could do anything in the Championship.

Henegan would be a strange one, not played a game all season.

Morris isnt the type of winger to put you on the front foot, and Chapman is too injury prone.

Nolan would be a good signing if he was obtainable.

Not interested in what QPR fans think tbh. 

We had a big interest in Henegan last summer. He would be available most likely. Hes a big tall centre back. 

Morris a wide player who score goals and we need that. Plus can play in centre midfield as a back up. 

Ive watched Gladwin a few years ago at Swindon. Hes was a talent but lost his way. Feel Mowbray could bring that out of him. 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

As a squad man on a sensible deal i'd be tempted to keep Conway he can come on shoring up one flank and do the muck and bullets stuff like a defensive wide man later in games. Certainly I don't think he's up to being a regular starter anymore but he'd be a reliable squad man and good guy to keep around the place maybe.

Exactly why I would keep him. 

I think there is a consensus here that we get rid of the 5 players who contributed nothing this season:

Caddis, Ward, Feeney, Gladwin, Whittingham.

Beyond that, Antonson probably shouldn't return and I agree that Conway has been great, but he just screams SPL player to me now.

That's 7 out, plus 3 more loans in Payne, Chapman and Armstrong who are not ours (I would try to keep all 3). 

That' potentially 10, plus I think we can demote Nutall back to U23's or loan out. If we get a cash offer of 50% value for Samuel he should be allowed to leave too.

Where I would debate my opinion on the respective abilities and qualities of the likes of Williams, Bell, Raya, Nyambe, Evans and Smallwood. I feel all deserve their chance in the Championship, especially if we get most of the other names mentioned previously off the books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieUK said:

The ideal long term replacement for Graham was here last season - Sam Gallagher. However, with Southamption looking like they're going to be relegated he may just get his chance there.

Worth a bid though?

• Like 1

One thing I will say, people are suggesting Caddis and Whittingham (who id keep around) should go, whose going to buy them off us, both are under contract, and I imagine the latter is on a decent contract. Same with Gladwin to be fair, one who Id look to get rid of straight away.

Really hope we dont recruit towards a 3 at the back. I know it can be a good system and a couple of our players, notably Bell would potentially benefit but theres alot that wouldnt.

When we played it last time we had Mulgrew stepping out from the left, last time we used it it looked all wrong because Mulgrew was in the middle to accomodate Williams.

Nyambe is seemingly a big part of our defence, hes a defensive full back hes certainly never a right wing back.

And if you play that formation it would break up the Dack and Graham partnership, most likely leaving Dack as one of 2 number 10s, reducing his influence.

Hopefully Mowbray wont see fit to change a winning system. Just add to it.

And @chaddyrovers why do you see a player that has got nowhere near the Sheffield United team to be a good potential signing? Yes we were linked last season but hes literally not played all year. And Gladwins a donkey ive seen that with my own eyes and if he never plays again for us itll be too soon.

8 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I think there is a consensus here that we get rid of the 5 players who contributed nothing this season:

Caddis, Ward, Feeney, Gladwin, Whittingham.

Beyond that, Antonson probably shouldn't return and I agree that Conway has been great, but he just screams SPL player to me now.

That's 7 out, plus 3 more loans in Payne, Chapman and Armstrong who are not ours (I would try to keep all 3). 

That' potentially 10, plus I think we can demote Nutall back to U23's or loan out. If we get a cash offer of 50% value for Samuel he should be allowed to leave too.

Where I would debate my opinion on the respective abilities and qualities of the likes of Williams, Bell, Raya, Nyambe, Evans and Smallwood. I feel all deserve their chance in the Championship, especially if we get most of the other names mentioned previously off the book.

Agree with that.  I think the vast majority of the first team will provide the bulk of next years match day squad. I don't see wholesale changes, but do think our bench looked weak at times this seaon when injuries and suspensions hit.

Competition at RB & CB, a new CM, a new wide man or two (Chapman, Armstrong), and competition for Dack & Graham.

6 or 7 in,  the deadwood being shipped out and the likes of Travis being given his chance. 

• Like 1

I think Mowbray might opt for a 3-5-2 next year, we've looked fantastic on the counter and attacking spaces. The underdog title in most game may benefit us and allow us to play to our strengths. 

Priority for me has to be 

-an experienced keeper as a backup

- Towering centre-half. Mulgrew's set pieces are fantastic and it's criminal we don't have someone really attacking them. Quite like Sonny Bradley from Plymouth.

- Technical/Energetic CM. Evans is hit and miss, Whittingham isn't good enough. Bennet plays well there but I'd love an established player

- Pace/Power on the wings. Cardiff have shown this season  Mendez Laing/Hoilett can cause damage. Adelakun from Scunthorpe has impressed in periods this year 

- Target Man/ Pacey Striker. Graham deserves to start but injury concerns. A younger, more mobile target man alongside Armstrong on loan would be great. 

We looked a bit slow/weak last time around in the Championship. If the recruitment is right, we may surprise a few next season. Mowbray seems to have added resiliance to this whole club. Here's hoping, we're on our way back 

• Like 1

Just now, oozy_brfc said:

I think Mowbray might opt for a 3-5-2 next year, we've looked fantastic on the counter and attacking spaces. The underdog title in most game may benefit us and allow us to play to our strengths. 

- Towering centre-half. Mulgrew's set pieces are fantastic and it's criminal we don't have someone really attacking them. Quite like Sonny Bradley from Plymouth.

- Technical/Energetic CM. Evans is hit and miss, Whittingham isn't good enough. Bennet plays well there but I'd love an established player

- Pace/Power on the wings. Cardiff have shown this season  Mendez Laing/Hoilett can cause damage. Adelakun from Scunthorpe has impressed in periods this year 

- Target Man/ Pacey Striker. Graham deserves to start but injury concerns. A younger, more mobile target man alongside Armstrong on loan would be great. 

We looked a bit slow/weak last time around in the Championship. If the recruitment is right, we may surprise a few next season. Mowbray seems to have added resiliance to this whole club. Here's hoping, we're on our way back 

Where would a winger like Adelakun fit in a 3-5-2 though?

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People didnt think Downing was good enough he performance good enough this season. 

Ive agree tomphil assesment why to keep Conway. See that. 

We will lose certain players in summer. People like Caddis, Ward, Whittingham, but we got under 23's who are good enough to be part of the squad

Not interested in what QPR fans think tbh. 

We had a big interest in Henegan last summer. He would be available most likely. Hes a big tall centre back. 

Morris a wide player who score goals and we need that. Plus can play in centre midfield as a back up. 

Ive watched Gladwin a few years ago at Swindon. Hes was a talent but lost his way. Feel Mowbray could bring that out of him. 

Exactly why I would keep him. 

We will agree to disagree.I don't see Rovers being interested in Henegan.We did have an interest Last summer..a year is a long time with this new scouting system Mowbray has been talking up I'd hope we can do better than a Sheffield United reserve.

Downing did do well but he won't be starting  next season and we have no idea wether he will be good enough at championship level

You want us to sign two new wingers.Sign Armstrong and Payne.So can I ask where Conway and Gladwin fit in?I take tomphils point about his experience but if we do bring in wingers then Conway has rarely started this season so if we sign players in the position you suggest then he will be further away from the first team.The same with Gladwin who has done nothing of note since his Swindon days.You also want the youth to be given a chance which I agree with but everyone can't get a game chaddy so no point giving a new deal to Conway of being going to contribute on the field and not a chance in hell of Gladwin becoming a regular in my opinion

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

Just now, oozy_brfc said:

Good first post - welcome to the board :)

Agree with most of what you have said.

Any suggestions? I am more interested in a Graham-like striker to be back up to Graham. Decent at holding up the ball,  a good finisher and is smart. 

Edited by JacknOry

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

One thing I will say, people are suggesting Caddis and Whittingham (who id keep around) should go, whose going to buy them off us, both are under contract, and I imagine the latter is on a decent contract. Same with Gladwin to be fair, one who Id look to get rid of straight away.

Really hope we dont recruit towards a 3 at the back. I know it can be a good system and a couple of our players, notably Bell would potentially benefit but theres alot that wouldnt.

When we played it last time we had Mulgrew stepping out from the left, last time we used it it looked all wrong because Mulgrew was in the middle to accomodate Williams.

Nyambe is seemingly a big part of our defence, hes a defensive full back hes certainly never a right wing back.

And if you play that formation it would break up the Dack and Graham partnership, most likely leaving Dack as one of 2 number 10s, reducing his influence.

Hopefully Mowbray wont see fit to change a winning system. Just add to it.

And @chaddyrovers why do you see a player that has got nowhere near the Sheffield United team to be a good potential signing? Yes we were linked last season but hes literally not played all year. And Gladwins a donkey ive seen that with my own eyes and if he never plays again for us itll be too soon.

Does Caddis have another year?I thought he only got a 1year deal?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Might be mistaken, but I think he signed a 2 year deal yeah.

Yeah you are correct.Suprised he got a 2 year deal although I doubt he could be on much of a wage.So if he wants to play then maybe both him and the club will come to an agreement which will see him moving on

9 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Good first post - welcome to the board :)

Agree with most of what you have said.

Any suggestions? I am more interested in a Graham-like striker to be back up to Graham. Decent at holding up the ball,  a good finisher and is smart. 

Thanks for the warm welcome, 

I was a big fan of Billy Bodin, it's a shame PNE signed him. I have a feeling Mowbray may look abroad for this one. He's been implementing a new scouting network recently so i think we may explore that 

As for the above poster RE Adelukan being a winger in a 3-5-2, interesting point - probably not possible. I just feel Mowbray may be looking at the 3-5-2 given the Bell signing and his insistence on trialling it earlier in the season. 

It's a shame we don't have a Gestede, Rhodes, Marshall, Cairney, Dann, Spurr, Dunn, King, Olsson to select for the above positions. Still scratching my head as to how we didn't even make the playoffs with those players 

• Like 1