BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If the wages are reasonable, which I would imagine they will be, I don't see a problem. A good honest pro and we can call him a rover at this stage. He has given a lot to the club

We arent a charity though.

His legs have gone, he keeps getting injured, hes got 0 assists in a League 1 seasons, for me its a needless waste of a wage based on sentimentality. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Getting that one rule for us another rule for everyone else feeling again. Lost count of the number of times I heard Rovers had an unsustainable wage bill and had to make cutbacks when promotion was missed and yet other clubs who go way beyond what we did manage to avoid sanctions.

Yes, but how many other clubs racked up nearly 50m in losses, three seasons in a row, and had little to show for it bar a huge wage bill?

Yes, QPR, Boro, Wolves etc flouted FFP, but it ignores 95% of the scenario to forget that they probably got some decent value for their investments... we ended up spending at least another 30m paying off the players and managers. QPR are in a similar position to us now, and they are still potentially facing a 40m fine as far as I’m aware, which ultimately means Bournemouth/Leicester/Wolves et al could be moved on for similar if it goes through.

We already had an embargo in 2015 too- I’m not sure if it’s impact at the time, but I’d prefer the club to be in a position to move players in if we need to change manager near a transfer window.

Anyway, my thoughts on a potential squad for next season and areas to bolster;

Goalkeeper;

Raya and Leutwiler. Raya is ready for the challenge again and if Leutwiler ever struggles as deputy we have the u23 lad Fisher.

Left Full back;

Williams and Bell. I expect us to rotate both again, depending on set up/opposition. Williams is also an able CB backup.

Right full back;

Nyambe deserves another shot to step up, he’s improved a lot for me since his first inclusion in the championship. Travis, Bennett and Caddis (two year deal?) offer depth in this role.

Centreback;

Mulgrew, Lenihan, Downing (Williams). If we play two, I think Mulgrew and Lenihan are decent but for better cover or a stronger 3 option, I would potentially look to sign a new “big lump” centre back

Wingers;

Currently only Conway (id probably let go unless it’s a 1 year cheap deal) and Bennett; who is probably a better CM these days, often covered by strikers shunted wide. This is a position I’d like to see some investment- Samuel could potentially grow into this role but I’d rather we get someone who can turn a defence around and put the ball in the box.

Midfielders.

Smallwood and a replacement for Evans would be my choice moving into next season but I don’t see it happening considering what Evans earns. Whittingham, Travis, Tomlinson, Bennett and a few others can play this role so I doubt we will strengthen much here.

Forwards;

In terms of attacking options- if Dack has Gladwin for cover, it saves investing in someone like Payne to sit on the bench. That said, Gladwin has looked poor so a prolonged injury to Bradley would be grim. 

Striking options in Danny Graham, Samuel and perhaps Armstrong for another season or a permanent- I’d be suited with that, considering we’ve got Nuttall and a few other options coming through.

Total;

Potentially a Centreback, a big lump style- someone that strengthens you at set pieces on their own, at both ends of the pitch. Potentially another box to box effort like Richie, perhaps a touch more on the technical side. Finally, at least one, preferably two wide playing midfielders, pacy.

Couple of loans, one or two free’s or cheap signings to keep the team spirit together. I don’t think 5/10m is a realistic idea.

Id also like to think the club will withhold any funds or wage room for January should the worst happen!

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Where to start...

Chaddy, the transfer window is open, we don’t need to play Bennett out of position. He is more valuable in his midfield berth.

Travis? You’ve spent how long telling me he is a midfielder? Now he can fill in there as well as fill in there. Again, if he is a midfielder, we don’t need to play him out of position. Unless you really think he is a right back, you know, where he has been playing all season!

Nyambe’s ability as a Championship full back is a matter of opinion. You say he is good enough - based on nothing. I say I’m not convinced. I’d prefer a more experienced player personally but that’s just my opinion.

Please don’t get me started on three at the back but presumably you would see Lenihan, Mulgrew and Williams there? I’ve grave doubts over Williams.

Where do I start Stuart. 

The transfer window isnt open officially. 1st of July actually. 

Travis and Bennett can play in a number of positions and well. Add to the depth of the squad. 

Travis appearences for the 1st team has been in centre midfield and the games ive seen for under 23's in centre midfielder like the Villa home game at Ewood Park. 

My opinion of Nyambe is based on his performances in the championship which were good enough.

On the 3 at the back, i see 5 players who can play in back 3. Nyambe, Lenihan, Downing, Mulgrew and Williams. I would play Lenihan Mulgrew Williams as the 3 with Bennett and Bell as wing backs. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

It’s been around the 9th of June in the past, but I think it’s going to open end of May because transfer windows are shutting three weeks early before the season starts this year.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We arent a charity though.

His legs have gone, he keeps getting injured, hes got 0 assists in a League 1 seasons, for me its a needless waste of a wage based on sentimentality. 

You have no idea of what wage we offered him. 

There is no sentimentality in it. Conway adds experience and knowledge of this league. He isnt a attacking winger now but a defensive winger who can double up on attacking winger with left back, stick to his position. 

• Moderation Lead

We need to be ruthless. Thank Conway for his time and move him on. There is no room for sentiment, especially if finances might well be tight. He’s been a great servant but he’s not getting any younger, better or fitter. Get rid.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You have no idea of what wage we offered him. 

There is no sentimentality in it. Conway adds experience and knowledge of this league. He isnt a attacking winger now but a defensive winger who can double up on attacking winger with left back, stick to his position. 

Any wage is too much for a player who isnt good enough for the division. Wingers need to offer at least some modicum of an attacking threat, and Conway doesnt do that any more. 

If we had released him you would have said that it was the correct decision anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where do I start Stuart. 

Travis and Bennett can play in a number of positions and well. Add to the depth of the squad. 

Travis appearences for the 1st team has been in centre midfield and the games ive seen for under 23's in centre midfielder like the Villa home game at Ewood Park. 

My opinion of Nyambe is based on his performances in the championship which were good enough.

On the 3 at the back, i see 5 players who can play in back 3. Nyambe, Lenihan, Downing, Mulgrew and Williams. I would play Lenihan Mulgrew Williams as the 3 with Bennett and Bell as wing backs. 

The transfer window opens the end of this week?Or so I read on sky sports website 

Yeah just seen it's opening on Thursday 

Edited by islander200

They must be asking Graham to take a pay cut or they would just activate the extra year extension.

Does that mean that Mowbray thinks he’s being paid too much for the contribution he will make in the coming season or does it mean that there’s not much money in the coffers?

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The transfer window opens the end of this week?Or so I read on sky sports website 

Yeah just seen it's opening on Thursday 

He missed the point completely. The point is that we don’t need to shuffle the pack to cover during the close season. We can buy round pegs for round holes. (Not actual pegs, Chaddy, players).

Unbelievable that others think that Caddis, Gladwin, Downing and Leutwiler, and even Samuel have any place in a Championship squad. Some people really haven’t been paying attention.

We need major improvement. ‘Our best players’ need to become ‘amongst our best players, and our worst players touted to other club. Relegation next season is a distinct possibility without reinforcements. Just ask Bolton. And they had Armstrong - one of our best L1 players - for half a season.

Just now, Stuart said:

He missed the point completely. The point is that we don’t need to shuffle the pack to cover during the close season. We can buy round pegs for round holes. (Not actual pegs, Chaddy, players).

Unbelievable that others think that Caddis, Gladwin, Downing and Leutwiler, and even Samuel have any place in a Championship squad. Some people really haven’t been paying attention.

We need major improvement. ‘Our best players’ need to become ‘amongst our best players, and our worst players touted to other club. Relegation next season is a distinct possibility without reinforcements. Just ask Bolton. And they had Armstrong - one of our best L1 players - for half a season.

Since we both know major investment is unlikely, you’d choose to spend what little money we have on replacing backup players like Leutwiler, Downing, Caddis et al, when we’ve an academy full of players who “achieved” something last season Stuart...? Now I am confused.

28 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

They must be asking Graham to take a pay cut or they would just activate the extra year extension.

Does that mean that Mowbray thinks he’s being paid too much for the contribution he will make in the coming season or does it mean that there’s not much money in the coffers?

Can't say i blame them, nearly 33 and lets be honest he was a good pro with a good brain for league one, but we are in the championship now, he will only play 90 minutes about 1/4 of the season, if that. 

14 minutes ago, Biz said:

Since we both know major investment is unlikely, you’d choose to spend what little money we have on replacing backup players like Leutwiler, Downing, Caddis et al, when we’ve an academy full of players who “achieved” something last season Stuart...? Now I am confused.

Why do we know investment is unlikely. The loons backed him last season and he is going over for talks.

Not talking about “replacing back up players”. We need to upgrade or we will almost certainly struggle against relegation.

Unlike you to be confused. :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Agree with the notion of ensuring we sign players to play in their correct positions. We need a couple of actual wingers, there are benefits of playing maybe 1 striker wide, it can be a shrewd way to add enough goals, but for me its by far our weakest area.

Agreed on all 5 of them players, I do think wed struggle to offload them though; that said I feel like signing Conway on for another year is adding to the aforementioned deadwood around the fringes.

Whilst I agree that we do need to add, I feel like your comparison to Bolton is slightly misleading in that we achieved considerably more points than them, and they not only didnt really strengthen, in selling their top scorer mid season they actually weakened in comparison to their League 1 season.

We do need to strive to look to improve, not just add depth, that said I feel we have a good spine that can make the step up, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Bennett, Smallwood (maybe), Dack and Graham.

I think our main targets need to be in attack, we need id say 4 attacking players, a central midfielder and then maybe a right back.

@Stuart is right in that, in the main, they need to be players who should be improving us rather than adding depth.

We need at least 2 out and out wingers, they need to be of the calibre to be starting games from game 1, not ones who can come on when Conway/Bennett or a striker playing out of position gets tired.

We need a striker, yes we might struggle to get one of the quality of Graham but we need to aim to solely based on Grahams age. Then maybe another attacking midfielder who can push Dack, ideally with the versatility to also play wide/elsewhere.

We need a central midfielder who can play alongside and compliment Smallwood or Evans, not one to cover them, and a right back who can come in and at least equal Nyambe, not another Caddis.

Dont understand the clamour for a big thug at centre back, Mulgrew and Lenihan are a quality partnership.

Just now, Stuart said:

Why do we know investment is unlikely. The loons backed him last season and he is going over for talks.

Not talking about “replacing back up players”. We need to upgrade or we will almost certainly struggle against relegation.

Unlike you to be confused. :rolleyes:

Shifting 12 first team players and replacing them with lower earners, and spending about 2 million - that’s modest backing, and I’d expect the same type of “modest” backing this season. Ok, they could’ve cut it to the bone last year, It’s much cheaper to be a big spender in league 1.

Few of those who free up wages replaced, maybe a million or two in fees. As a priority, I wouldn’t want to move any of those backup players on or spend funds replacing without signing two new wingers personally.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I Don't understand the clamour for a big thug at centre back, Mulgrew and Lenihan are a quality partnership.

I think we lack a bit of nastiness and ugliness. Our record defending set pieces is also quite poor, we aren’t a big team at all.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AAK said:

Can't say i blame them, nearly 33 and lets be honest he was a good pro with a good brain for league one, but we are in the championship now, he will only play 90 minutes about 1/4 of the season, if that. 

He's done next to nothing in this league. The next league up is twice as hard to play in. If we really haven't got a pot to pee in we shouldn't be squandering the dosh on a bench warmer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

I think we lack a bit of nastiness and ugliness. Our record defending set pieces is also quite poor, we aren’t a big team at all.

Take on board your point about set pieces, although I would be really reluctant to break up Mulgrew and Lenihan as I feel they make a really good pairing and we look far more secure with them in the side.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Take on board your point about set pieces, although I would be really reluctant to break up Mulgrew and Lenihan as I feel they make a really good pairing and we look far more secure with them in the side.

I agree on that but I’d like to see 4 natural centrebacks at the club. I know Williams is a good cover, but I think we’d be screwed with Downing as our only option elsewhere. Not a single one is a “route one” defender.

Maybe Wharton is the answer? 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Could be the club trying to waive his promotion pay rise? Or lessen by how much?

Just now, Biz said:

I agree on that but I’d like to see 4 natural centrebacks at the club. I know Williams is a good cover, but I think we’d be screwed with Downing as our only option elsewhere. Not a single one is a “route one” defender.

Maybe Wharton is the answer? 

From what I've seen of Wharton he's more of a footballing centre half.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's done next to nothing in this league. The next league up is twice as hard to play in. If we really haven't got a pot to pee in we shouldn't be squandering the dosh on a bench warmer.

Theres some poor teams in the championship, but I agree Conway shouldnt be getting a new contract !