BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

14 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Could be the club trying to waive his promotion pay rise? Or lessen by how much?

Yeah that might be it, they might add in an extra year to give him a bit of security as well.

I can’t say I blame them, he shouldn't be on the £20k+ that he’ll be on if we activate the extension. £10-13k would be more realistic imo, although I can definitely see him making more than that elsewhere so we will possibly be without Graham next season?

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The way I look at it is if we opened tomorrow's paper and read we were signing him from another club how happy would we be ?

I'd be confused as we already own him  ; )

Nah, good way of looking at it - do not agree its a good move if only for sentimental value. 

I think some people here will be surprised who we will sign. Let’s be honest nobody knows who will come in. Let’s wait and see. We bought some good players at the start of the last season so no reason why we can’t find another few gems.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Could be the club trying to waive his promotion pay rise? Or lessen by how much?

Good spot...thinning out his contract so that he earns more but over a longer period on a lower monthly wage. He will struggle to get another contract elsewhere next season - especially anywhere near what we are paying him.

Just now, Tormund said:

I think some people here will be surprised who we will sign. Let’s be honest nobody knows who will come in. Let’s wait and see. We bought some good players at the start of the last season so no reason why we can’t find another few gems.

Of course we will be surprised but this is all we have right now! Will be a boring summer if we cannot talk about who we would like, who will be available etc...might as well just shut the board down until August.

Iniesta on a free anyone?

Edited by JacknOry

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Of course we will be surprised but this is all we have right now! Will be a boring summer if we cannot talk about who we would like, who will be available etc...might as well just shut the board down until August.

No need to be defensive. I didn’t say we couldn’t talk about transfers. 

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's done next to nothing in this league. The next league up is twice as hard to play in. If we really haven't got a pot to pee in we shouldn't be squandering the dosh on a bench warmer.

I agree, i wasn't making a case for keeping him, just agreeing with the club not wanting to pay him as much, if that's is the case. 

In my opinion we should be looking to bring in young talent from the league we have just left. I agree with suggestions like Adekulan. Charlton have some good youngsters like Konsa (unlikely as Everton are interested) but this is way we should try to go. Signings like Dack are the way to go, players with talent that need to take the leap from a smaller club.

• Like 3

Just now, Tormund said:

In my opinion we should be looking to bring in young talent from the league we have just left. I agree with suggestions like Adekulan. Charlton have some good youngsters like Konsa (unlikely as Everton are interested) but this is way we should try to go. Signings like Dack are the way to go, players with talent that need to take the leap from a smaller club.

Yup - hungry players that want to improve and play at a higher level. Standout players int he league below. That mixed in with some experienced Championsjip iplayers is the way to go.

17 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Nah chaddy reckons he's to old and we shouldn't be signing anyone of that age regardless so I will have to bow to his wisdom and pass

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Nah chaddy reckons he's to old and we shouldn't be signing anyone of that age regardless so I will have to bow to his wisdom and pass

haha..better teams than us will be wishing they could pick him up. He is the type of player where class is permanent, was still featuring for Barca alot this season. One word - Tugay.

Reckon he would be the perfect foil for Smallwood...

Joking of course, no chance in a billion years.

Having watched Fulham and Derby, we are light years away from competing at the top end of the Championship.

Said for some time, we need some quality additions - a minimum of 6 to make us competitive.

Conway needs shipping out - we can't afford to be topping up players' pensions.

We face a huge challenge just to stay up.  Is Mogga the man?  Likes of Jokanovic and Rowett are different class.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Having watched Fulham and Derby, we are light years away from competing at the top end of the Championship.

Said for some time, we need some quality additions - a minimum of 6 to make us competitive.

We face a huge challenge just to stay up.  Is Mogga the man?  Likes of Jokanovic and Rowett are different class.

The sheer pace and power is what I find most frightening. Proper athletes. We need to improve the pace of our squad. Here’s hoping for some decent loanees.

Yes but that's the top end of the championship. They're getting ready for the prem. Most teams struggled with them this year as most teams in our league struggled with us and Wigan.  We're probably not going to get there next year or probably not the year after either. We have to build. Rome was not built in a day. We're on our way back, not were back. We didn't do a Sunderland. We sat in the championship gradually losing talent. It will take a while to build it back up

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

The sheer pace and power is what I find most frightening. Proper athletes. We need to improve the pace of our squad. Here’s hoping for some decent loanees.

We are chronically short pace - our best three players (Mulgrew, Dack & Graham) have none.

Agreed. Lets be honest some of the games we won last season were due to the opposition being piss poor at something specific. Remember Peterborough first half at home? That was one of the worst displays I have ever seen. Second half then we upped the tempo and within a few minutes their defender slips comically in the box to let a quite obviously injured Dack score. You get gifts in league 1 that you just won't get in the championship. In fairness we did actually look pretty fit last season, we had to be, so that will definetly stand to us next season as it was massively lacking our last time there. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

haha..better teams than us will be wishing they could pick him up. He is the type of player where class is permanent, was still featuring for Barca alot this season. One word - Tugay.

Reckon he would be the perfect foil for Smallwood...

Joking of course, no chance in a billion years.

Not with that attitude. Swap deal for Whittingham?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Agreed. Lets be honest some of the games we won last season were due to the opposition being piss poor at something specific. Remember Peterborough first half at home? That was one of the worst displays I have ever seen. Second half then we upped the tempo and within a few minutes their defender slips comically in the box to let a quite obviously injured Dack score. You get gifts in league 1 that you just won't get in the championship. In fairness we did actually look pretty fit lady season, we had to be, so that will definetly stand to us next season as it was massively lacking our last time there. 

?

Sorry - on the beers.

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I thought that the standard was incredibly poor for two of the best teams in the Championship and that we have absolutely nothing to fear.

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Totally agree and the feel good factor of this season is clouding many a judgement. We are in for a long hard season and anything above staying up is a bonus imo

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Yes but that's the top end of the championship. They're getting ready for the prem. Most teams struggled with them this year as most teams in our league struggled with us and Wigan.  We're probably not going to get there next year or probably not the year after either. We have to build. Rome was not built in a day. We're on our way back, not were back. We didn't do a Sunderland. We sat in the championship gradually losing talent. It will take a while to build it back up

It's going to be daunting.

Having said that, promoted teams usually have momentum.

Good managers maintain that and bring in quality additions to help.

Mowbray worries me.  Tactically, I think he's all over the place at times, trying to be too clever by half.  We talk about young players of 22, 23 and 24 years of age.  Fulham's Sessegnon is still 17, Liverpool's Arnold is just 19 and playing in the white hot atmosphere of the Champions League whilst Mowbray is seemingly 'nursing' 24 year old Bell and as one poster on here put it, 'doesn't want to throw him into the pressure of a League 1 promotion battle'.  Baffling!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1