BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I agree on them needing to play in their best positions to be most effective. Armstrong's impressive start here showed that there's a player there, so I wouldn't be averse to him returning to play a more central position as either a partner to DG or a different option if the target man plan isn't working. 

I'm just not sure about Payne, and Mowbray's comments on him last week made me think another season in L1 would probably be best for the lad. If TM doesn't see him as a regular starter in L1 then is he even good enough as backup in the Championship? Seems like it'd be a risk and there may be better options out there (depending on our budget, obviously). 

The thing about Payne is he played 27 games in the Championship in Huddersfields promotion season. Interesting to see him back in League 1 at Oxford and then us instead of staying in the Championship. Tells a story perhaps...

I will be interested to see what formation we play next season as I think that Mowbray favour a 5-3-2 and on paper that should suit the players we have however whenever we played it last season (with the exception of Portsmouth away in the second half) we were poor and looked much better playing 4-2-3-1.
For the coming season I think we need 7-8 new players, as we have lost 4 loanees from last season and we need to strengthen other areas where some current players aren't up to Championship standard.

In defence we need cover/a challenger for Nyambe at right back as Caddis is clearly not up to scratch and I prefer Bennett further up the pitch. At left back we are fine although i hope to see more from Bell this season as he is clearly a decent player for his peers to vote him in team of the season. At centre back I would like an extra body brought in as I am not convinced by Williams as a centre half & am a bit worried if Downing will make the step up. I'd like to see us bring in a good old fashioned big lump of a centre half because if Lenihan doesn't play I think we are a bit soft in defence.

Centre of midfield is one of the key areas for us to strengthen in my opinion. I would play one of Smallwood and Evans but not both together as they a to similar & I'd like someone a bit more dynamic alongside them Camps from Rochdale would be my choice or Nolan at Shrewsbury if they don't go up.  Also I'd like to see Travis given more game time this year as when I have seen him play he looks a very good footballer. As for Gladwin & Whittingham not sure that either would make the step up but I may keep one of them as 5/6th choice in midfield and let the other go.

In attack I agreed with Mowbray about Payne that he is not a starter but is very effective as a sub when teams are tiring but if Payne was not keen on that role then I would try to get Oztumer from Walsall not only would he be cover for Dack but you could also play him wide on the right coming inside on his tremendous left foot or you could even play him up front as Walsall did at their place against us. The wide areas are another key area that we need to strengthen at the moment we only have Bennett & Samuel, who is think we some hard work and determination could be a decent winger but he is defiantly not a striker. Say Conway signs I still think we need one more winger and that for me would be Gwion Edwards who was one the best players I saw against us this season. I would not bring Chapman back as I would be very worried Signing a young lads who has just had 2 long term hamstring injuries who's main asset was pace.

Up front I'd like to see Armstrong back as he brings pace something which we severely lack. I hope Graham as i think he can have a role of the bench and away from roughing defences up and holding the ball up. I think that we would still need one more striker with Graham as Graham struggles to do the full 90.

That would leave us with a squad of.
Raya, Leutwiler
Nyambe, New RB, Downing, Mulgrew, Lenihan, New CB, Williams, Bell
Smallwood, Evans, Travis, Camps/Nolan, Whittingham/Gladwin
Dack, Oztumer, Bennett, Conway, Samuel, Edwards
Armstrong, Graham, New Striker

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That lays the "bounce through" idea to rest.

Humbly ask? just tell them what's needed and is it yes or no.

It's exactly what most people have been saying on here though. There's a chance if everything goes your way you could bounce through but it's unlikely and would surely be too quick a change. Progression is what we need

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I will be interested to see what formation we play next season as I think that Mowbray favour a 5-3-2 and on paper that should suit the players we have however whenever we played it last season (with the exception of Portsmouth away in the second half) we were poor and looked much better playing 4-2-3-1.
For the coming season I think we need 7-8 new players, as we have lost 4 loanees from last season and we need to strengthen other areas where some current players aren't up to Championship standard.

In defence we need cover/a challenger for Nyambe at right back as Caddis is clearly not up to scratch and I prefer Bennett further up the pitch. At left back we are fine although i hope to see more from Bell this season as he is clearly a decent player for his peers to vote him in team of the season. At centre back I would like an extra body brought in as I am not convinced by Williams as a centre half & am a bit worried if Downing will make the step up. I'd like to see us bring in a good old fashioned big lump of a centre half because if Lenihan doesn't play I think we are a bit soft in defence.

Centre of midfield is one of the key areas for us to strengthen in my opinion. I would play one of Smallwood and Evans but not both together as they a to similar & I'd like someone a bit more dynamic alongside them Camps from Rochdale would be my choice or Nolan at Shrewsbury if they don't go up.  Also I'd like to see Travis given more game time this year as when I have seen him play he looks a very good footballer. As for Gladwin & Whittingham not sure that either would make the step up but I may keep one of them as 5/6th choice in midfield and let the other go.

In attack I agreed with Mowbray about Payne that he is not a starter but is very effective as a sub when teams are tiring but if Payne was not keen on that role then I would try to get Oztumer from Walsall not only would he be cover for Dack but you could also play him wide on the right coming inside on his tremendous left foot or you could even play him up front as Walsall did at their place against us. The wide areas are another key area that we need to strengthen at the moment we only have Bennett & Samuel, who is think we some hard work and determination could be a decent winger but he is defiantly not a striker. Say Conway signs I still think we need one more winger and that for me would be Gwion Edwards who was one the best players I saw against us this season. I would not bring Chapman back as I would be very worried Signing a young lads who has just had 2 long term hamstring injuries who's main asset was pace.

Up front I'd like to see Armstrong back as he brings pace something which we severely lack. I hope Graham as i think he can have a role of the bench and away from roughing defences up and holding the ball up. I think that we would still need one more striker with Graham as Graham struggles to do the full 90.

Raya, Leutwiler

That'd do me. Sounds feasible too.

I think the middle of the park needs at least 2 new faces. Smallwood is nailed on as a starter, and as much as Evans' form picked up towards the business end of the season he is always one mistake away from being the fans go to man to lay the blame. I am not a huge Evans fan but to be fair he gets more criticism than he deserves. I would look at Camps, McGeouch, Morrison and Nolan. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I think the middle of the park needs at least 2 new faces. Smallwood is nailed on as a starter, and as much as Evans' form picked up towards the business end of the season he is always one mistake away from being the fans go to man to lay the blame. I am not a huge Evans fan but to be fair he gets more criticism than he deserves. I would look at Camps, McGeouch, Morrison and Nolan. 

Think the frustration with Evans comes from how we know he has the ability to be more influential. On the face of it can run all day, defend and is decent enough going forward, and yet you never come away from the game thinking he really left his mark on the game. You could well be right about the level of criticism though, even though I'm probably as guilty as anyone. I think there's something similar with Williams too.

In any case, two in midfield sounds about right, assuming our budget stretches. If not, then pace and numbers up front & out wide has to be the priority for me.

5 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Think the frustration with Evans comes from how we know he has the ability to be more influential. On the face of it can run all day, defend and is decent enough going forward, and yet you never come away from the game thinking he really left his mark on the game. You could well be right about the level of criticism though, even though I'm probably as guilty as anyone. I think there's something similar with Williams too.

In any case, two in midfield sounds about right, assuming our budget stretches. If not, then pace and numbers up front & out wide has to be the priority for me.

Evans has enough to be a top half of the table Championship player. The problem is he suffers from losing concentration and niggling injuries(perceived or otherwise). If he got focused and injury free he is a would be a solid Championship midfielder, here or elsewhere.  The thing is that he only plays around 25 games a season on average. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

You're right about Williams too, and I am also guilty of it. I would imagine Evans and Williams are both model professionals who train as hard as anyone. I bet if Tony had a dream it would be that all his players trained and conducted themselves like those 2. As fans I think they just don't excite us enough. We are fickle people at times. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Never said I wanted 40 man squad. 

The current squad:-

Keepers- Raya Luetwiler Fisher

Defenders- Nyambe Caddis Lenihan Mulgrew Downing Williams Bell

Midfielders- Bennett Smallwood Travis Evans(would sell if we got a decent offer) Conway(when he signed a new contract) Gladwin

Strikers- Graham (when he signed a new contract) Samuel Nuttall

Thats 19 players above. So signing 6 players would give us 25 man squad which is what we need. 

Players to rid of Whittingham, Wharton, Hart. Loan Tomlinson out

When did we get rid of Dack?

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Caddis looks like someone who plays Sunday league football Chaddy.Not good enough for league 1 certainly not good enough for championship. Released by Birmingham and failed to win a contract at Bury.Not good enough. 

Yeah you did explain about Gladwin , that he had a good season at Swindon.Sorry didn't realise you used to watch Swindon on a regular basis.

Did I say I watched Swindon regular? no need for slight dig

Gladwin was a talent player when he was at Swindon and highly rated. I believe there is a talent in there. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Never said I wanted 40 man squad. 

The current squad:-

Keepers- Raya Luetwiler Fisher

Defenders- Nyambe Caddis Lenihan Mulgrew Downing Williams Bell

Midfielders- Bennett Smallwood Travis Evans(would sell if we got a decent offer) Conway(when he signed a new contract) Gladwin

Strikers- Graham (when he signed a new contract) Samuel Nuttall

Thats 19 players above. So signing 6 players would give us 25 man squad which is what we need. 

Players to rid of Whittingham, Wharton, Hart. Loan Tomlinson out

Where did I jump down your throat? Complete over the top comment again Stuart. 

I dont see right back as a problem position like you. Thats my opinion. 

No arrogance but just repeating what I already said. 

Wharton, Whittingham, Hart possibly Evans if we got a decent offer plus Chapman, Armstrong, Antonsson and Payne have returned to their clubs following the loan deal. Plus loan Tomlinson out. There are 6 or 7 empty spots. 

Get rid of Wharton? Why?

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Raya, Leutwiler

I almost fully agree with that squad in principle,  think the GK, Defense and Strikers are all bang on.

I would definitely look to offload both of Whittingham and Gladwin in exchange for a proper cm to be our main player in there, allowing Evans, Smallwood and Bennett to compliment (if only there was a Jermaine Jones type player out there).

Beyond that, i think we still need a proper winger in that squad and there may be better options over Oztumer. Add a couple of last minute loans too (forward, winger and cm) and we're in a good starting position.

This is who we have next season, not including Graham and Conway. They will bring us to 21 players

Goalkeepers: David Raya, Jayson Leutwiler, Andrew Fisher

Defenders: Ryan Nyambe, Paul Caddis, Paul Downing, Darragh Lenihan, Charlie Mulgrew, Scott Wharton, Derrick Williams, Amari’i Bell, Sam Hart

Midfielders: Richie Smallwood, Corry Evans, Peter Whittingham, Lewis Travis, Willem Tomlinson, Elliott Bennett, Ben Gladwin, Bradley Dack

Forwards: Dominic Samuel, Joe Nuttall

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

never going to be regular here with Lenihan and Mulgrew in front of him. 

either sell or loan him but he needs to be regular games

Do you every read back what you have written before you press the " submit reply " button ?  90% of the time it isn't in complete sentences.

If we do play three at the back we'll need another centre half at least.  Do I think Downing can improve enough to be a regular next season  ? Probably not. From what I've seen of Wharton he looks worth persisting with. We let a young centre half go very cheaply not long ago,  now he's playing at a higher level than we are at the moment. Let's not make that mistake again. 

I wouldn't be so quick to dump Whittingham either. The guy only started 5 games last season due to injury. If he recovers properly we have a player with a record as good as anyone in the Championship. I think he will be a useful option top have around. Just not on the wing again please Tony 

Veterans in the play off teams

Villa- Glenn Whelan(34) Jedinak(33) Terry (37)

Boro- Downing (33) Leadbitter (33) 

Derby- Nugent (33) 

Whittingham still has a good season in him too I reckon 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't be so quick to dump Whittingham either. The guy only started 5 games last season due to injury. If he recovers properly we have a player with a record as good as anyone in the Championship. I think he will be a useful option top have around. Just not on the wing again please Tony 

He only got five games because he was pants. He wasn't injured all season. I saw him at Oldham for the first time and he could have worn that kit all season and it would have never needed washing. He's another one like Conway, playing from memory.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He only got five games because he was pants. He wasn't injured all season. I saw him at Oldham for the first time and he could have worn that kit all season and it would have never needed washing. He's another one like Conway, playing from memory.

He was inured for most of the season

I'm still not entirely comfortable with it being the manager of the team who has to fly around the world to 'humbly' request funding from the owners to improve the squad following promotion.

It goes without saying that investment of some sort is required if we are to survive, even if that is just additional wages to bring in loans and free agents along Championship lines rather than League One.

Things are done in reverse at this club. It isn't really the manager's place in a club these days to go cap in hand to try to persuade the owners to invest money. The owners and their advisors should already have a budget and plan moving forward, this plan should remain regardless of who the manager is or how 'humble' he is in his meetings with them.

I do worry that perhaps our entire short to medium term future hinges on how Mowbray comes across in his meetings with them. If he impresses them and they like what he says then some money should be made available but if they aren't convinced then we're knackered.

Venkys should have a plan and a target and they should work to that with the manager, an employee, tasked with delivering targets from that. Nothing wrong with face to face meetings with the manager but it seems each year he doesn't have the foggiest idea until he gets to sit down and talk to them.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did I say I watched Swindon regular? no need for slight dig

Gladwin was a talent player when he was at Swindon and highly rated. I believe there is a talent in there. 

It wasn't a dig, he had 1 good season for Swindon moved on to QPR and did absolutely nothing.They let him leave for free or a nominal fee which shows they didn't think he was the standard required.Since he joined us he has done nothing except steal a wage,granted he has been injured but he isn't a good player