BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Newcastle open to offers for Armstrong in summer clear out

"Last season resulted in Armstrong spending a loan stint with Blackburn Rovers in League One where he scored nine goals for the Ewood Park outfit and Tony Mowbray’s side could get the first refusal on a cash deal for the striker."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-open-offers-adam-14686089?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It will cost a lot more to get a 26/27 year old of the desired quality, who is also happy to play second or third fiddle.  The right 33-36 is year old could give us experience and be willing to stand by until called on. To be honest, if we got the right one they could very well fancy their chances of breaking into the starting 11.

We seemed a bit panicy at the back last season. Maybe that's due to having a young keeper and two centre halves who were midfielders. Old fashioned, no nonsense centre half required please. 

I'm not writing Downing off either. He has been impeccable when called on and will be in the mix again next season

I don't see Lenihan or Mulgrew has midfielders either. 

I don't want a 33 year old centre back here. 

plenty of centre backs out of contract this summer. 

agree on Downing

Armstrong should be number 1 on the hit list.

I'd have half an eye on Gallagher from Southampton. A presence up front would be useful. Another one who isn't going to get a look in at his parent club under a manager who doesn't tend to go with youth.

These are the sort of players we should be all over - young, room to improve - and like it or not they cost money.

• Like 2

Tony is the right man at the wrong time. His comments suggest a positive spin on us not spending much cash this Summer. Hopefully that’s just him being canny and avoiding anyone (agents/clubs) thinking we have pots of cash to spend (be exploited), and we do get a couple over the £1m mark. That would be the minimum to compete in this league (lower end). We certainly aren’t going to mak much money from consolidating over the next few seasons (see Leeds) so it simply has to be about the PL is we are ever going to see our debt cleared.

Giving our existing players a chance can also translate to (the dreaded) keeping our powder dry” until January - which of course is a gamble. There is no loyalty in football, as the saying goes, so we had better hope the Dack, Smallwood, Bell, Nyambe and others can make the step up. If we aren’t replacing Samuel and Conway then they are going to have to really step up.

Not really sure what we should have expected Mowbray to say, he was never going to say “we’ve been given wads of cash”.

I’ll qualify my opening line too. Kean and others may have ruined the chances of us going for experienced quality at this level. Venkys will not want to splash out wages on the next Murphy or Etuhu and they may also have raised their eyebrows (if they follow it that closely) at Whittingham‘s contribution. Good sides have a balance of youth and experience but with experience that can stay fit. We will have to rely on Mulgrew, Conway and Graham - all seasoned pros and leaders - staying fit. After that, the bulk of the side are 25 or under.

Here’s hoping we do our business early.

30 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Newcastle open to offers for Armstrong in summer clear out

"Last season resulted in Armstrong spending a loan stint with Blackburn Rovers in League One where he scored nine goals for the Ewood Park outfit and Tony Mowbray’s side could get the first refusal on a cash deal for the striker."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-open-offers-adam-14686089?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I’d be all over that. It’s a gamble but he looked to be improving all the time.

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

agree on Downing

Mulgrew will be 33 during next season

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

agree on Downing

Kevin Moran, Craig Short, Henning Berg and Tony Gale did alright.  I think it depends on the calibre of the centre back, rather than just a number.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They will probably want about 2.5 million. Not sure if I would pay that, even if we had it. 1-1.5 with add ons would be fair 

I would pay it for both. Both young, always likely to improve and good investment

47 minutes ago, afootballfan said:

Not sure I remember Toney, is he a striker? Yeah I'd be happy with 1 - 1.5 for Armstrong

Yes. 

37 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Armstrong should be number 1 on the hit list.

I'd have half an eye on Gallagher from Southampton. A presence up front would be useful. Another one who isn't going to get a look in at his parent club under a manager who doesn't tend to go with youth.

These are the sort of players we should be all over - young, room to improve - and like it or not they cost money.

No to Gallagher tbf. Would prefer Toney

2 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Mulgrew will be 33 during next season

And? Hes been here 2 seasons already. We arent signing him now 

Just now, Pedro said:

Kevin Moran, Craig Short, Henning Berg and Tony Gale did alright.  I think it depends on the calibre of the centre back, rather than just a number.

Different time and different era now. 

If he could get 4/500k back for Samuel and put that down as a deposit to bring in Armstrong I reckon that would be decent business although we are losing height again we are gaining pace.

Edited by tomphil

52 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’d be all over that. It’s a gamble but he looked to be improving all the time.

I thought he went the other way personally. For up to a million I’d say he’s worth a punt though. Difficult to justify much more when he’s yet to do the business, at our now level, in a couple of attempts.

No to Toney for me. He’s more of a handful than Samuel but we need somebody more tried and tested than that. Hardly set the world alight in League One over several loans.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I thought he went the other way personally.

For up to a million I’d say he’s worth a punt though. Difficult to justify much more when he’s yet to do the business at our now level in a couple of attempts.

I agree with that. If we aren't planning to play Armstrong up front in partnership with another striker anything over £750,000 is a waste of money. He's never going to be a winger in a million years.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with that. If we aren't planning to play Armstrong up front in partnership with another striker anything over £750,000 is a waste of money. He's never going to be a winger in a million years.

I disagree. 21 year old, eye for goal, pace and energy, good attitude and scored a decent amount in league one from the wide positions...

He will have plenty of suitors at championship level if he’s affordable. I’d expect him to cost at least twice that and I think he’d be worth it.

Just now, Biz said:

I disagree. 21 year old, eye for goal, pace and energy, good attitude and scored a decent amount in league one from the wide positions...

He will have plenty of suitors at championship level if he’s affordable. I’d expect him to cost at least twice that and I think he’d be worth it.

If we spend £1.5 million on a player this Summer I'll be amazed.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

agree on Downing

Kevin Moran joined us when he was 34 years old and stayed until he was 38 years old playing some 150 games - an inspirational and influential talisman.

Tony Gale joined Rovers at the age of 35 and was a key figure in the team that won the PL.

Craig Short joined us at 31 years old and we got 6 excellent seasons out of him.

Your thinking seems very muddled and naïve at times.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we spend £1.5 million on a player this Summer I'll be amazed.

If we spend £1.5 million on PLAYERS this summer then I'll be amazed!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I thought he went the other way personally. For up to a million I’d say he’s worth a punt though. Difficult to justify much more when he’s yet to do the business, at our now level, in a couple of attempts.

No to Toney for me. He’s more of a handful than Samuel but we need somebody more tried and tested than that. Hardly set the world alight in League One over several loans.

He didn’t look as quick I’ll grant you but I thought he looked stronger and grew into the team.