BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

So as things stand we have Payne, Armstrong, Chapman and Antonsson whose loans will be expiring. I think all 4 will be available on permanent terms should we want to do so. Chapman has fitness issues, but the other 3 I think could all do a job in the league above. Antonsson probably the least so. I expect Armstrong will be one of Mowbray's priorities and would think Newcastle would be willing to do a deal.

Out of contract we have Elliot Ward, Danny Graham, Craig Conway, Corry Evans. Ward can go. Graham I think we have the option of invoking an extra year and would expect us to do that. Conway and Evans less clear cut. I think I'd be happy for both to be retained as squad players. Concerns around their fitness. I think when fully fit Evans is a capable Championship player and is still a good age. I think he has been playing well recently, a shame he wasn't available all season. Conway is getting into the back end of his career and is struggling to complete more than an hour these days but strikes me as a good experienced character to have around the place and if a deal can be reached on sensible wages for another season I'd give him a try. Paul Caddis can probably go as he hasn't featured recently and appears to be behind Nyambe, Bennett and Travis in the RB stakes. Assume he only penned a 1 year deal last summer.

The key for me is to not upset the apple cart and destabilise the squad and camaraderie. Yes we need to strengthen and add in areas but I don't think we need a root and branch overhaul.

A few players under contract that I wouldn't be disappointed to see depart. Gladwin the obvious one, I wonder about Samuel's future in the Championship but again up front we aren't blessed with numbers. Whittingham may struggle to play and may seek a fresh challenge where he will get more game time.

Unfortunately I think your a little too optimistic in your assessment on a few of these, I for one would let Evans go to get new wages in. Don’t think he justifies his hefty pay packet 

Outgoings:

Out of contract - Ward, Feeney, Caddis, Conway

Sell:   Gladwin, Samuel, Evans or Whittingham (If anyone will take them)

As one of the previous posters has mentioned, we have a good team spirit and you don't want to upset that. Example would selling Samuel unsettle Dack? Conway is past his best and shouldn't really be considered unless its on a fraction of the wage. We have an option on another year for Graham which we need to take. I imagine Armstrong will be available again at least on loan so I think that suits all parties if he comes back. Wouldn't waste the budget on Antonsson, I'd be keen on Chapman but he'd be a gamble now. Payne i'd take also if he was available again as back up. He's got quality and you can't have enough of that.

So IMO we'd need to target:-

1 x Centre Midfielder - preferably a passer to player with Smallwood. just need one quality addition in there

2 x Winger/Wide Player - Bennett would be the only wide player on the books. Hopefully Chapman can be one of these players, if not a similar type of player should be one.

Adam Armstrong

1 x Centre Forward - We need someone to share the strike with Graham, ideally someone who has better hold up play than Samuel or Nuttall

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Unfortunately I think your a little too optimistic in your assessment on a few of these, I for one would let Evans go to get new wages in. Don’t think he justifies his hefty pay packet 

He has been playing better of late but you have to wonder whether his contract coming to an end is part of the reason. If it is then he will likely revert to type by only playing well before N' Ireland squads are announced. I too think his wages could be spent better elsewhere tbh.

• Like 1

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Outgoings:

As one of the previous posters has mentioned, we have a good team spirit and you don't want to upset that. Example would selling Samuel unsettle Dack? Conway is past his best and shouldn't really be considered unless its on a fraction of the wage. We have an option on another year for Graham which we need to take. I imagine Armstrong will be available again at least on loan so I think that suits all parties if he comes back. Wouldn't waste the budget on Antonsson, I'd be keen on Chapman but he'd be a gamble now. Payne i'd take also if he was available again as back up. He's got quality and you can't have enough of that.

1 x Centre Midfielder - preferably a passer to player with Smallwood. just need one quality addition in there

2 x Winger/Wide Player - Bennett would be the only wide player on the books. Hopefully Chapman can be one of these players, if not a similar type of player should be one.

Adam Armstrong

1 x Centre Forward - We need someone to share the strike with Graham, ideally someone who has better hold up play than Samuel or Nuttall

Again short sided in my opinion, to suggest keeping Samuel Just because he is mates with dack is unbelievable. No room for that in football. Smallwood shouldn’t be a starter, backup for that position and get rid of Evans 

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Outgoings:

Adam Armstrong

Not sure it would, they are renting a flat together and not sure they would be doing the same going forward anyway. Perhaps Dack wants to set up home with his reality TV star.

Dack seems to get on well with a bunch of the lads, Graham and Mulgrew for starters as well as some of the younger guys like Smallwood and Chapman. Doubt it would bother him that much if Samuel left.

I wouldn't be signing Rhodes or Gestede. massive wages and not sure either fit into Mowbray's plans or tactics. 

we need a centre back, centre midfielder, 2 wingers one with pace, number 10 back up(Payne), a striker. Possible back up keeper. 

would keep Conway, Evans, Gladwin and Samuel. try to get rid of Whiitingham if he isn't going to play. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Again short sided in my opinion, to suggest keeping Samuel Just because he is mates with dack is unbelievable. No room for that in football. Smallwood shouldn’t be a starter, backup for that position and get rid of Evans 

Actually didn't suggest keeping Samuel, he's listed in the sell list. I've seen enough of him to know he's not going to make it with us.

I just used that as an example as I don't know the ins and outs of the player dynamics within the squad.

I hope TM is thinking, how he'd like us to play next season and what his desired formations would be.

You'd guess he'd then look at what we've got and be totally cold and calculating in getting rid of what's not required because it doesn't fit. NO sentiment. 

Then with a budget in place, recruit accordingly with round pegs that fit snugly into round holes, with a bit of pace as an added bonus.

In Tony we trust.

A striker that can hold the ball up is a must in a formation like the one we are playing. He has to be able to bring the three behind him into play as much as possible. Maybe a younger guy with potential that can grow into the role behind Graham and step when Graham ultimately does call it a day or is moved on.

Proper wingers, preferably two of them.

Payne back or Otzhumer in on free as backup/to play alongside Dack. Armstrong back as cover for up top and also behind in the three.

Midfield needs a shake up. Would give Smallwood a go but need somebody alongside him. Bennett could be that guy but we need other options too. Ideally some decent cover too if Evans does go.

Mulgrew and Lenihan is good enough but we need deeper cover. Downing i not sure is up to it at that level and Mulgrew prior to this season has always been a bit injury prone.

Counting on Bell to be LB, Williams as cover. As for RB, not sure Nyambe is ready at that level despite improving this season. Would look to get someone in here.

Raya deserves to keep his place int he sticks for the season.

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would keep Samuel and anyone saying that Smallwood shouldn't start needs to give me a pretty good reason as to why that is. 

After an initial good start he has fell way off standard, he now looks weak in the tackle, poor passing, he hits a good shot in about a 1/10 ratio and most alarming to me in the pboro game he was blowin out his ar#e after 60 mins. Plus to that he has never excelled at champ level. To me he is a backup.

get paddy McNair in 

After an initial good start he has fell way off standard, he now looks weak in the tackle, poor passing, he hits a good shot in about a 1/10 ratio and most alarming to me in the pboro game he was blowin out his ar#e after 60 mins. Plus to that he has never excelled at champ level. To me he is a backup.

get paddy McNair in 

And what has Paddy McNair proven in the Championship? Would you say he has "excelled"?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

get paddy McNair in 

To be fair, he has only played in the Championship with a weak Rotherham side around him. Perhaps the way we set up suits him as well. I would not be writing him off yet. Think he needs quality around him so that his hard-working, undervalued role can be effective.

Been excellent lately and is far too good for lg 1, also had a great education at Man Utd and an international 

Evans is an international...might as well keep him then. Lets put Leutwiller in goal too.

Don’t get wanky, my point being he has a lot more experience and played against top players whereas Smallwood is more use to lg 1 standards 

Woaw, wait a sec, has more experience of what exactly? Are you sure you are thinking of the right player? 

He has been a part of an absolutely awful Sunderland team and hasn't stood out for that matter. 

If you do want competition for Smallwood, fair enough, but I wouldn't say Paddy is your man 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Don’t get wanky, my point being he has a lot more experience and played against top players whereas Smallwood is more use to lg 1 standards 

Will also be on big wages having dropped two divisions. Had a very serious injury not so long ago too.

Just not sure anyone from Sunderland would be worth the risk financially or ability wise.

25 bit part appearances in the PL, and a season in the championship (not sure if ever present). Smallwood has played 4 or 5 seasons at Championship level and a couple at League 1 level.

Edited by JacknOry

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Woaw, wait a sec, has more experience of what exactly? Are you sure you are thinking of the right player? 

Of playing in bigger games against better opponents. Played in several games for Man Utd, played against Germany for Northern Ireland and if you look up YouTube you will see he has a much better strike than Smallwood 

Of playing in bigger games against better opponents. Played in several games for Man Utd, played against Germany for Northern Ireland and if you look up YouTube you will see he has a much better strike than Smallwood 

Yes and and he did badly in those games hence why he was A-sold to Sunderland and B- just relegated to league 1. 

San Marino played against Germany too, doesn't mean we should be signing their players. Evans is better than McNair