BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've never worked in a school then ?

I thought your snark was a bit much for a reasonable maths error, but I suppose my snark was uncalled for too.

So never mind me. Apologies.

Edited by RoverCanada

58 minutes ago, alcd said:

A share price going up only brings in funds if the shares are sold and Venkys aren't going to do that and lose control of their own company. More relevant is how they are going to recover the £150m they have loaned to the club........

shares are assets, they can easily get a loan against the huge increase in share value. Venky's wealth has increased ALOT this past year. Time they fix their own mistakes. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

The problem is that Williams and Evans have shown in the past they can't really cut it at Championship level. I'd say both have been at the correct level this season and even then there have been a lot of questionable performances.

I'd keep Williams as backup, but I'd get Evans out the door at the first opportunity. Let's be honest, the only players still at the club from the Bowyer era are the ones nobody else wanted. We sold everybody remotely decent (note I'm talking about Bowyer's signings & mainstays, Cairney, Rhodes, King, Gestede, Hanley, Duffy... hell, even Jason Lowe found a Championship team willing to take a punt).

I'd also have Samuel out ASAP as he's shown nothing to suggest he will even be worthwhile as backup in the Championship. We might have to make do with loaning him out though as I'm not sure there will be many interested parties as far as a permanent transfer goes. 

The thing with Williams and Evans is both are arguably coming into their prime. Williams is only 25 and Evans 27. I would be tempted to keep both as squad players. I would be signing a centre midfielder to start ,but we could do a lot worse than having Evans in the squad. I actually suspect we will get a few bids for Williams. He is a funny player, can do some things really well and other times I look at him playing and wonder how he made it as a professional. Maybe me being keen on keeping Evans is due to the fact i think that there is little chance of us off loading him so am just resigned to the fact he will be here next season. Both should not be starting next season though.  

I would be in agreement on Samuel, it will be interesting to see if Mowbray agrees. He couldn't be accused of not giving him a chance anyway. 

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The thing with Williams and Evans is both are arguably coming into their prime. Williams is only 25 and Evans 27. I would be tempted to keep both as squad players. I would be signing a centre midfielder to start ,but we could do a lot worse than having Evans in the squad. I actually suspect we will get a few bids for Williams. He is a funny player, can do some things really well and other times I look at him playing and wonder how he made it as a professional. Maybe me being keen on keeping Evans is due to the fact i think that there is little chance of us off loading him so am just resigned to the fact he will be here next season. Both should not be starting next season though.  

I would be in agreement on Samuel, it will be interesting to see if Mowbray agrees. He couldn't be accused of not giving him a chance anyway. 

I'd agree as far as trying to sell Evans is concerned. Very unlikely any other club will match the wage we're giving him, and at least we can count on a few good performances around the time NI are due to play. 

• Like 1

I honestly think we need a pair of forwards, especially if we don't get another year from Armstrong. I was bricking it v Doncaster when Graham leaving was quickly followed by Armstrong running for the bench.

Who came on in their places? Samuel and Antonsson. I couldn't have felt less confidence.

Thanks the stars for Mulgrew's dinky-swish header from the corner, because, with the best will in the world, we'd have been waiting a long time for that pair to do the needful.

Edited by Give 'Em the Axe

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Of the current squad:

Raya - KEEP, starting keeper.
Leutwiler - indifferent. Adequate backup, could have better.
Fisher - KEEP, promote to backup keeper, or loan out, or keep in u23s in higher division.

Nyambe - KEEP, improved a lot this season, his shirt to lose at RB.
Caddis - OUT
Lenihan - KEEP, good aggression.
Mulgrew - KEEP, Captain fantastic.
Downing - Adequate backup or promote youth in his stead.
Ward - OUT.
Wharton - Unsure.
Hart - OUT.
Williams - KEEP, adequate backup at CB or LB.
Bell - KEEP, his shirt to lose at LB.

Feeney - OUT.
Payne - Decent backup for Dack or as a passer from deep.
Bennett - KEEP, Captain mkII.
Smallwood - KEEP, his shirt to lose at CM.
Evans - OUT, promote Travis in his stead.
Whittingham - OUT.
Gladwin - OUT.
Dack - KEEP.
Conway - I would rather promote a youth player in his stead, but ok as a bench player.

Chapman - KEEP if poss, unbelievable potential.
Antonsson - Indifferent.
Graham - KEEP for one more season.
Armstrong - KEEP versatile forward.
Samuel - OUT, promote Butterworth in his stead.
Nuttall - KEEP but needs to put more muscle on.

Promote from u23s: Travis, Butterworth, one of the cbs.

IN (as minimum): A hard nut cb, a target man up front, a passer from deep in midfield.

In reality, reckon we'll need 6/7 signings/loans but unsure where to specify some positions.

I agree we need 6 or 7. We need a centre back, centre mid, 1 or 2 wingers(if we sign Chapman), Armstrong back, target man, if we sign Payne. 

I would keep Evans, Samuel and Gladwin(unless we get Payne) 

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree we need 6 or 7. We need a centre back, centre mid, 1 or 2 wingers(if we sign Chapman), Armstrong back, target man, if we sign Payne. 

I would keep Evans, Samuel and Gladwin(unless we get Payne) 

Why would you keep Gladwin?He had one decent season at Swindon a few years ago he has done nothing here or at his previous club.Has Mowbray said he is part of his plans next season or something as I'm really struggling to understand why any rovers fan would want Gladwin to still be at the club next season 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I'd agree as far as trying to sell Evans is concerned. Very unlikely any other club will match the wage we're giving him, and at least we can count on a few good performances around the time NI are due to play. 

I asked someone what their projected fee for Evans would be and they said 400k at most. Could see someone like Sunderland paying that though it obviously depends on who their manager will be. Plus the takeover going through but I can see them having a similar budget to Rovers this season if it's correct about Short writing off a lot. Evans has still been part of a L1 promotion winning squad and on paper that counts for something. For some lazy managers it's enough without looking into the real extent of his contribution.

Edited by Vinjay17

I've been through three promotions with Rovers from this league and without doubt, this is the worst squad of the three by a long chalk.

Two of our key players this season are the wrong side of thirty and I am not sure how Mulgrew and Graham will cope now with the gruelling intensity of the Championship over another 46 game season.

Will Dack be anywhere as effective in the Championship - he's an unknown quantity at that level.

Mowbray has a huge task on his hands to reshape the squad and unless he gets big backing from Pune, I fear we will be back to 'Coyleesque' signings.  Will be no surprise if we do 'a Bolton'.

Just now, Mercer said:

I've been through three promotions with Rovers from this league and without doubt, this is the worst squad of the three by a long chalk.

Two of our key players this season are the wrong side of thirty and I am not sure how Mulgrew and Graham will cope now with the gruelling intensity of the Championship over another 46 game season.

Will Dack be anywhere as effective in the Championship - he's an unknown quantity at that level.

Mowbray has a huge task on his hands to reshape the squad and unless he gets big backing from Pune, I fear we will be back to 'Coyleesque' signings.  Will be no surprise if we do 'a Bolton'.

Agree to a certain extent, but I don’t think we’re far off a half decent team. There’s a lot of capable players, who would be solid enough if bolstered by a few key signings.

Add a quality central midfielder, goal scoring striker and a couple of decent wingers and we’d be competitive.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Agree to a certain extent, but I don’t think we’re far off a half decent team. There’s a lot of capable players, who would be solid enough if bolstered by a few key signings.

Add a quality central midfielder, goal scoring striker and a couple of decent wingers and we’d be competitive.

As would most clubs in the Championship.  Easier said than done and I think we'll see how good, or otherwise, Mowbray is.  With Warnock in charge, I'd put my house on us staying up - that's the difference.

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

Of the current squad:

Fisher - KEEP, promote to backup keeper, or loan out, or keep in u23s in higher division.

Caddis - OUT
Ward - OUT.
Wharton - Unsure.
Hart - OUT.

Feeney - OUT.
Whittingham - OUT.
Gladwin - OUT.
Dack - KEEP.
Conway - I would rather promote a youth player in his stead, but ok as a bench player.

Antonsson - Indifferent.

IN (as minimum): A hard nut cb, a target man up front, a passer from deep in midfield.

In reality, reckon we'll need 6/7 signings/loans but unsure where to specify some positions.

Pretty much agree except for Antonsson (no thanks) and Nuttall (not certain he's good enough for the L1 never mind the Championship). Conway has to be a question mark too. He's 32/33 but plays much older. 

Whittingham is a puzzle - classy player and proven goalscorer in the Championship. Is he worth persevering with or is he too old and his desire gone ? .

We need 5 at least Championship (or better) quality players in. 

Of the current squad:

Caddis - OUT
Ward - OUT.
Wharton - Unsure.
Hart - OUT.

Feeney - OUT.
Whittingham - OUT.
Gladwin - OUT.
Dack - KEEP.

Antonsson - Indifferent.

Ditch nuttall and antonnson then totally agree

Edited by Oldgregg86

Mogga has shown in his time here that he likes to work with players he has worked with previously.

With that in mind, I reckon we will see Antonsson back here next season. I wouldn’t sign him, he’s really poor but I think Leeds will want shot and there will probably be a deal to be done. Not sure how much they paid for him but they will have to be taking a loss.

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Pretty much agree except for Antonsson (no thanks) and Nuttall (not certain he's good enough for the L1 never mind the Championship). Conway has to be a question mark too. He's 32/33 but plays much older. 

Whittingham is a puzzle - classy player and proven goalscorer in the Championship. Is he worth persevering with or is he too old and his desire gone ? .

We need 5 at least Championship (or better) quality players in. 

On the Whittingham conundrum (try saying that quickly 5 times), I note a few thought he and Travis complemented each other well vs Charlton.

COULD be worth trying, esp as he'd be hard to shift imo.

Just now, Mike E said:

On the Whittingham conundrum (try saying that quickly 5 times), I note a few thought he and Travis complemented each other well vs Charlton.

COULD be worth trying, esp as he'd be hard to shift imo.

Yep - will be very hard to shift. Might have no choice but to try and utilise him somehow. 

Of the current squad:

Caddis - OUT
Ward - OUT.
Wharton - Unsure.
Hart - OUT.

Feeney - OUT.
Whittingham - OUT.
Gladwin - OUT.
Dack - KEEP.

Antonsson - Indifferent.

Promote from u23s: Travis, Tomlinson, Butterworth, one of the cbs.

I actually think you’ve pretty much nailed it but there are two that I slightly disagree on;

1. Evans - I think he has played better at times this season and since we may look to play two sitting midfielders, he has the experience to be an able backup. “Freytend” at the prospect of Bennett and Smallwood being the only two senior players to do that job, especially when one is a utility player.

Realistically though, I’d love to see some investment in this position, another Smallwood - someone who does both attack and defend.

2. Samuel. I know he’s been indifferent this season, and poor at times but I really see something in his abilities - since Antonsson has returned I’d say Dom has been slightly more productive. If we look to play two at top next season, who are we realistically going to get, 24 years old, 6’2, bit of pace and energy? Without spending a few quid anyway.

I admit I’d take decent bids for both but another factor is keeping some team spirit and momentum. I’d take 2 strong investments in key areas to bolster the youth and a similar amount of loans if quality is available.

One thing is for sure, I hope for an improvement in recruitment overall, based on the improvements to the scouting, the club said they’d made last season.

Just now, Biz said:

I actually think you’ve pretty much nailed it but there are two that I slightly disagree on;

1. Evans - I think he has played better at times this season and since we may look to play two sitting midfielders, he has the experience to be an able backup. “Freytend” at the prospect of Bennett and Smallwood being the only two senior players to do that job, especially when one is a utility player.

Realistically though, I’d love to see some investment in this position, another Smallwood - someone who does both attack and defend.

2. Samuel. I know he’s been indifferent this season, and poor at times but I really see something in his abilities - since Antonsson has returned I’d say Dom has been slightly more productive. If we look to play two at top next season, who are we realistically going to get, 24 years old, 6’2, bit of pace and energy? Without spending a few quid anyway.

I admit I’d take decent bids for both but another factor is keeping some team spirit and momentum. I’d take 2 strong investments in key areas to bolster the youth and a similar amount of loans if quality is available.

One thing is for sure, I hope for an improvement in recruitment overall, based on the improvements to the scouting, the club said they’d made last season.

Have to agree, firstly, getting rid is not so easy and they are contracted to the club. 

I would have them around as squad players to give them a chance to earn another contract or see it out. Evans has champs experience as does Samuel (ibelieve though not much?). Evans has put in a few decent performances of late as he has done over the years but due to injuries and whatnot, they have never been consistent. As for Samuel, he seems to have the physical attributes but lacks mentally.

i just wouldnt be too hasty with outgoings anyway - dont want to disrupt the core of what brought us up. Strengthen around it and get rid of the more obvious deadwood.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

Of the current squad:

Caddis - OUT
Ward - OUT.
Wharton - Unsure.
Hart - OUT.

Feeney - OUT.
Whittingham - OUT.
Gladwin - OUT.
Dack - KEEP.

Antonsson - Indifferent.

Promote from u23s: Travis, Tomlinson, Butterworth, one of the cbs.

Only one I disagree with is Gladwin. I've got a feeling with a good pre season, there's a player I'm there somewhere. Last chance saloon though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Only one I disagree with is Gladwin. I've got a feeling with a good pre season, there's a player I'm there somewhere. Last chance saloon though.

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

Why would you keep Gladwin?He had one decent season at Swindon a few years ago he has done nothing here or at his previous club.Has Mowbray said he is part of his plans next season or something as I'm really struggling to understand why any rovers fan would want Gladwin to still be at the club next season 

I agree with Pedro and his post.

I remember his days at Swindon. Talent player then