BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

15 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You'd have to ask an Oldham fan about the rest of the season. All I know is he looked a different class to our midfield at Boundary Park. That's the whole 90 minutes in the flesh, not the " highlights " on TV. As for Chaddy saying Byrne isn't good enough - maybe, but he was too good for us that day.

Byrne was rated so highly in Ireland that the "next Roy Keane" was being bandied about. He won't be that, but I am surprised he is fluting around with Oldham in League 1 at this stage to be honest.

23 minutes ago, Neal said:

I know Sunderland were shite last season but surely Lamine Kone has to be worth a look? Was unreal under Allardyce and Everton tried signing him for almost 20 million. Very similar to Samba. I imagine wages would be an issue but if no one is interested... 

He is worth a look and around 15 million, so not going to happen! 

15 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Anyone thinking we can sign the likes of Alex song are in for a very disappointing summer

Haha, very much agreed on Alex Song...

However, as a slight counterpoint, it's worth remembering that there is a bit of relative 'prestige' to the Championship. I just took a quick look and the average revenue per club is roughly similar to the top leagues in Japan, Mexico, and the Netherlands. (Our own revenue will be more like an average top division Danish or Portuguese side...) It's not a blot on the resume like League One could be considered by some players.

Now, we're not going to be one of the high-rollers looking to steamroll the league into the Premier League like a Newcastle, Aston Villa, etc. and we'll have to spend wisely (signing potentially over-the-hill former stars on pricey contracts is thus probably a terrible idea), but there is a bit more room for, let's call it 'fanciful imagination' when discussing potential player targets compared to last summer!

15 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Haha, very much agreed on Alex Song...

However, as a slight counterpoint, it's worth remembering that there is a bit of relative 'prestige' to the Championship. I just took a quick look and the average revenue per club is roughly similar to the top leagues in Japan, Mexico, and the Netherlands. (Our own revenue will be more like an average top division Danish or Portuguese side...) It's not a blot on the resume like League One could be considered by some players.

Now, we're not going to be one of the high-rollers looking to steamroll the league into the Premier League like a Newcastle, Aston Villa, etc. and we'll have to spend wisely (signing potentially over-the-hill former stars on pricey contracts is thus probably a terrible idea), but there is a bit more room for, let's call it 'fanciful imagination' when discussing potential player targets compared to last summer!

Once Tony gets the green light from India.

Successful teams are built on the backs of players like Conway, Downing, Bennett, Smallwood, and even Antonsson. Proper professionals who will work hard in training and step up when called on. They provide the ‘labore’ foundation on which to build the ‘arte’.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Neal said:

I know Sunderland were shite last season but surely Lamine Kone has to be worth a look? Was unreal under Allardyce and Everton tried signing him for almost 20 million. Very similar to Samba. I imagine wages would be an issue but if no one is interested... 

Somebody higher up the food chain than Rovers will be in for Kone.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very worrying to hear the way TM is bulling up Conway. It would be a shocking decision to offer him a new deal of any sort imo, especially if funds are limited.

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Very worrying to hear the way TM is bulling up Conway. It would be a shocking decision to offer him a new deal of any sort imo, especially if funds are limited.

A bit harsh that. Good squad player and senior head to have around the place. I don't think offering Conway a new deal will make or break our transfer budget. I would have been on the fence myself, but hardly a "very worrying" development :) 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

He is 33 now and not worthy of a new deal in my opinion. His wages could be put to far better use. He could probably get himself a two year deal somewhere else to see him finish his career.

• Like 1

TM is obviously a big fan of Conway he's used him wherever possible when he's been fit this season, him and Samuel were almost guaranteed to be involved in some capacity.

I imagine Conway is a good guy to have about the place and Mowbray doesn't seem to favour two wingers so Craig tucks in and is a more defensive option on one side. I can really see him getting a new contract and being involved heavily next season if fit. Not sure i'd go down that route but maybe a player coach or a watered down contract wouldn't do any harm in keeping him around.

• Moderation Lead

He has really struggled for most of the season has Conway. I actually thought while he was on against Doncaster, hid did alright though....

6 hours ago, DE. said:

I was against Conway staying initially but if he was willing to accept a reasonable wage as a backup player I wouldn't mind him staying on for another twelve months. Sounds like he's a good influence off the field and has shown he can still have an impact if brought on in the right circumstance.

Agreed

5 hours ago, Neal said:

No thanks. Had a good 6 months then follow 2 years of playing poorly

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Very harsh..

Would give us experience and knowledge of the championship in the squad. He would be good squad player and wouldnt complain if not in the team. 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

He is 33 now and not worthy of a new deal in my opinion. His wages could be put to far better use. He could probably get himself a two year deal somewhere else to see him finish his career.

You haven't been watching Franck Ribery playing for Bayern this season. He's 35 yet often looks the fittest and fastest (and best) player on the pitch - he gave the Real defence the runaround in the recent semi-final.  Age isn't a factor as much as hunger and enthusiasm for the game and keeping oneself very fit. Conway looks as if he could lose a pound or two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

You haven't been watching Franck Ribery playing for Bayern this season. He's 35 yet often looks the fittest and fastest (and best) player on the pitch - he gave the Real defence the runaround in the recent semi-final.  Age isn't a factor as much as hunger and enthusiasm for the game and keeping oneself very fit. Conway looks as if he could lose a pound or two. 

There are exceptions to every rule Jim. Ribery has been consistently good for years now. If he had been poor he wouldn't have survived. Almost the antithesis of Conway who just hasn't done it for me and not deserving of a new deal.

Just now, arbitro said:

There are exceptions to every rule Jim. Ribery has been consistently good for years now. If he had been poor he wouldn't have survived. Almost the antithesis of Conway who just hasn't done it for me and not deserving of a new deal.

i don't know how Ribery does it. Not only is he often the best player on the pitch, he is also the fastest. He's giving more than 10 years to many of the defenders he's up against yet leaves them for dead with pace, as well as skill. Gordon Strachan, another winger, said he changed his game and his diet when he got older to compensate for the lack of spring in his legs but Ribery shows no sign of ageing. Many wingers move into midfield too when they get older because they can't get past defenders any more. Conway obviously loves his football and still has alot to offer in my opinion, but he needs to rethink how he plays the game. 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16198729.Fans__jury__Should_Rovers_offer_Craig_Conway_a_new_contract_/?ref=mac

Some view on here similar to me:

"Will he be able to cope with the rigours of the Championship when he couldn't be guaranteed a regular place in Division 1?"

"He has struggled with injuries this year and on his return has not demanded an automatic place in the first eleven. A year older and a division harder, I don't see Craig Conway as a step forward and to be competitive, we may also need to be ruthless.

"The winger has struggled to make a big impact this season, failing to register an assist in 19 league starts."

We cant be too sentimental, or lacking ruthlessness, no point keeping around Conway who cant impact games or Samuel just because hes mates with Dack.

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16198729.Fans__jury__Should_Rovers_offer_Craig_Conway_a_new_contract_/?ref=mac

We cant be too sentimental, or lacking ruthlessness, no point keeping around Conway who cant impact games or Samuel just because hes mates with Dack.

Read the link at 5.30 this morning and disagree with it..

Conway isnt a winger who would be starting games regular tho but a player who could be used as an impact player off the bench(mainly) as to protect a lead and use a defensive winger. Plus his knowledge and experience of the Championship would be crucial and very useful to the squad. 

And I would keep Samuel aswell. 

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Patrick McNair at Sunderland in midfeld anyone?

Yes please. 

Just now, neophox said:

Lewis Grabban is another I would try and get!

His wages are massive and beyond our wage structure. 

If grabban is affordable I'd be all over him but I can't see it being honest. I'm sure other clubs at the top end would be after his signature with a larger wage budget. He's banging them in at villa. If they dont go up they might try and keep him

Didnt someone mention this guy on here before?

Was called up for the last Scotland squad apparently but had to withdraw due to an adductor (that word again) injury.

Edited by JacknOry