BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Lambert rated him enough to give him a three year deal. It was the only time that Evans was consistant while he has been at Ewood. It is the annoying thing about him is that there is potential there. Still think there is a question about his core fitness as he always looks knackered after an hour.

I understood that the new deal was agreed just before Bowyer was sacked but it was actually signed on Lambert's watch.

• Like 1

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Lambert rated him enough to give him a three year deal. It was the only time that Evans was consistant while he has been at Ewood. It is the annoying thing about him is that there is potential there. Still think there is a question about his core fitness as he always looks knackered after an hour.

Evans was excellent when he first came to the club under Bowyer, until he got his first bad injury. He does have talent, he just seems to play within himself.

30 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

One manager I can't remember which maybe TM in his early days did let the cat out the bag a bit by saying he carries some kind of recurring problem that needs careful management. Seemed to be managed around the Internationals as well and i'm sure Mowbray signed Whittingham just to cover for Evans then decided to try and shoehorn him in just for the sake of it.

Evans earned his corn towards the end of the season there was shades of the player who wears green so well but it's reality check time for him he needs to put club before country or do one Rovers has been very good to him with little in return.  Managers seem to rate him and I suppose he's one of the tidiest players in his position outside the top half of the championship, not great but not full of errors either.

I'd prefer a midfield with a lot more bite than he provides though but I reckon any money will be directed elsewhere so I can see him staying abd being 1st on the team sheet, really shouldn't be throwing another big contract at him though he's been a passenger too often in his time at Ewood.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he really had a lot of adapting to do. Coming from the tropical climates of Glasgow to a couple of hundred miles down the road. Maybe more efforts should have been made with language classes and cultural training 

Think he could'nt be arsed or just home sick?

Either way, he never really showed us his best whether that boils down to regretting signing or not I dunno. Just a %anker to me for admitting it

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he really had a lot of adapting to do. Coming from the tropical climates of Glasgow to a couple of hundred miles down the road. Maybe more efforts should have been made with language classes and cultural training 

No sympathy here. I have lived in many different places across the world, and my dad is a monkey hanger who was in Aldershot by the time he was in secondary school before returning back up to Scarborough. He was happy being the big Yin in Weegieland but had to compete down south. I will always think there's something a bit fishy about that transfer when it involved Souness' favourite agent Willie McKay, his favourite Scottish club and Ferguson returned for a similar big fee. IIRC the reported fee in the papers went from £4m to almost double that. It was all a bit too odd.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pomster said:

Ferguson openly admitted he felt he'd made a mistake in signing for Rovers, he could'nt settle and wanted to go back home more or less straight away

If Barry Ferguson had missed Glasgow so much and felt homesick he should have moved to Darwen. 

• Like 2

We signed Evans knowing he had a groin injury, gave a contract extension knowing he could only play with constant groin injury management which often seemed weighted towards his international appearances.

If the surgery he had last year has finally cured the problem then maybe next season he can play fully fit.

The Barry Ferguson purchase and sale is one for Maigret and best forgotten.

• Like 2

Is Tommy Johnson still at rovers?His wiki page still says head of recruitment of rovers and there has been nothing said by the club about his departure or maybe I missed it?As I just read an article online where it said he was scouting for Watford.

16 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Evans was excellent when he first came to the club under Bowyer, until he got his first bad injury. He does have talent, he just seems to play within himself.

I don't know I would ever have classified Evans as excellent. He had a few good games, but his form has always fluctuated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Is Tommy Johnson still at rovers?His wiki page still says head of recruitment of rovers and there has been nothing said by the club about his departure or maybe I missed it?As I just read an article online where it said he was scouting for Watford.

I havent see any comment about him leaving. 

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Got a link to the article?

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We signed Evans knowing he had a groin injury, gave a contract extension knowing he could only play with constant groin injury management which often seemed weighted towards his international appearances.

If the surgery he had last year has finally cured the problem then maybe next season he can play fully fit.

The Barry Ferguson purchase and sale is one for Maigret and best forgotten.

The transfer saga around Ferguson was never right.  If someone who is as thick as two short planks with half a brain while living in Glasgow , then he will still have half a brain and be as thick as two short planks living in Blackburn or Birmingham or Blackpool.

Ferguson was and I guess still is being manipulated by unscrupulous agents.

20 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Agree 100%. I Don't rate him at al now

Final Shopping List:

Big Mean Centre Half

Box to Box Midfielder

Deep Lying Playmaker(McGeouch)

Backup to Dack(Payne)

Pacey Inside Forward(Armstrong)

Left Winger/Inside Forward(Chapman)

Tall Striker

Extend Graham another year 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

Final Shopping List:

Big Mean Centre Half

Box to Box Midfielder - Travis

Backup to Dack(Payne)

Tall Striker

Sounds good to me! Addition in bold (imo).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

Final Shopping List:

Big Mean Centre Half

Box to Box Midfielder

Backup to Dack(Payne)

Tall Striker

Sounds about right to me

Starting XI wise I reckon we need two new central midfielders, two new wingers and a striker for next season. I don’t think Smallwood will cut it in the Championship though he would be decent backup. Graham could play some games but I wouldn’t really want to rely on him as our first choice striker. We possibly need a new left back but I would like to see Bell given a go.

My team:

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

New (Hibs lad?) New

New              Dack               New

Graham/New

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

I’m not sure of the cost but I wouldn’t mind John mcginn from hibs for midfield and Danny batthe  from wolves as the big centre half

The newly-PL Wolves captain?

McGinn would be decent but if we're also signing McGeouch then it'd be theoretically better as it'd save a bit of 'gelling'. Both tidy players apparently.

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Starting XI wise I reckon we need two new central midfielders, two new wingers and a striker for next season. I don’t think Smallwood will cut it in the Championship though he would be decent backup. Graham could play some games but I wouldn’t really want to rely on him as our first choice striker. We possibly need a new left back but I would like to see Bell given a go.

My team:

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

McGinn  McGeouch

Armstrong     Dack      Chapman

Graham/New

Looks tidy!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Looks tidy!

I hope we sign Armstrong and Chapman but would they both be starting wingers in the Championship? I really like Armstrong but he is a striker and didn’t seem to do great at Bolton in the Champ.

47 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The newly-PL Wolves captain?

McGinn would be decent but if we're also signing McGeouch then it'd be theoretically better as it'd save a bit of 'gelling'. Both tidy players apparently.

I’m no wolves expert but I thought he was out of favour at wolves. However I stand to be corrected.

53 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Looks tidy!

Wouldn't touch Chapman with his hamstring history.  Sadly, don't think the lad will ever be the same - Michael Owen is the prime example.