BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isnt he 34 years old? Doesnt strike me as Mowbray type player tbh

Mulgrew doesnt have the fitness for the holding midfielder role. Dont know ppl keep mention it for. 

Nonsense.  Are you saying Mulgrew is less fit thsn Tugay?

• Like 1

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16238274.Tony_Mowbray_wants_Rovers_to_be__a_player__in_the_Championship/

From the article

Having won promotion back to the Championship at the first attempt, Mowbray says those players will get a fair crack of the whip next season, despite eyeing new faces over the course of the season.

But those arrivals won’t be coming to Ewood Park on large salaries, with the boss keen to maintain the positive team spirit within the dressing room which served them well in 2017/18.

Taking a long-term view on the situation, Mowbray added: “This group of players deserve respect as well, I don’t think it’s right to go out there and bring in superstar footballers on treble the money the players we’ve got are on.

“That would be the wrong thing to do.

“We need to build it and if we can be successful next year then we can reward the current crop of players who would be doing well if we’re successful to try and build it bit by bit if we can.”

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The likes of James Collins are way out of our reach financially. As an established Premier League player with a London club he'll be on at least twice as much as our highest paid player, maybe even three times or more.

We aren't shopping at that level anymore.

If villa can sign John Terry is Collins really out of our range? It really boils down to what offers he gets. 

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isnt he 34 years old? Doesnt strike me as Mowbray type player tbh

I understand why you think we should be signing young hungry players. I do also. But you can't put a price on an experienced player at the back to let the younger lads learn from and take some pressure off whilst instilling confidence in the younger attacking lads to get forward. You also need some older pros around the dressing room and training ground. I would want young hungry attacking players and some defenders around some experience from the back. Collins, huth and players of that ilk would be a great addition without signing Crocks and players after a final payday for the rest of the squad places. I know we have mulgrew but one more solid experienced centre back would really tighten things up. 

That's not me believing we can sign those two players just players of that nature

Edited by Oldgregg86

In both promotion seasons to the premiership we had experience at the back in the form of Kevin Moran (34-ish) and Henning Berg, Craig Short (similar) respectively. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing someone of that ilk in the first team - prepared to run through a brick wall for the cause, but I would expect this to be Charlie's role. 

• Like 6

Mowbray is bound to say that the focus of his attention is on players in the early 20s age range. Realistically that's the only way he's going to be able to persuade the Indians to part with transfer funds for players if he can convince them that it is an investment that will have return in a few years. See Dack and Samuel. It was also the only way Bowyer was able to extract funds from them for Conway, Marshall, Cairney and Gestede.

Fortunately, down to good management more than anything, almost all the players we've spent cash on in the last 4-5 years (not many I admit) have turned out alright. Some said Rhodes was a waste of money that we'd never get back because nobody in the top flight would buy him but we turned a profit on him, since Gary Bowyer took over virtually everyone we've paid out cash for has turned a profit - Steele, Marshall, Duffy, Cairney, Gestede - and then more recently I'd expect Williams' valuation will be on the rise given his recent inclusion in the Republic of Ireland squad, Dack's value will be way higher than what we paid for him and an impressive start to life in the Championship and he'll go up even more. The only real exceptions are Samuel and Bell who are too early to say really, but overall with the Dack success Mowbray will be able to say money well spent last season.

Nothing at all wrong with that strategy so long as it isn't the sole ambition. Nothing wrong with recruiting those sort of players so they carry value in the event they are sold, but when the sole aim in spending money is with a view to selling for a profit in a couple of years irrespective of who that might be to and irrespective of the impact it might have then it becomes a problem.

Football and results first, individuals and valuations second. Sadly I think it was the other way around for a while.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, StaffordRover said:

In both promotion seasons to the premiership we had experience at the back in the form of Kevin Moran (34-ish) and Henning Berg, Craig Short (similar) respectively. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing someone of that ilk in the first team - prepared to run through a brick wall for the cause, but I would expect this to be Charlie's role. 

Not Charlies style.

I agree we need a Moran/Short type. Most teams at the top end of the championship have battled hardened centre halves 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16238274.Tony_Mowbray_wants_Rovers_to_be__a_player__in_the_Championship/

From the article

Having won promotion back to the Championship at the first attempt, Mowbray says those players will get a fair crack of the whip next season, despite eyeing new faces over the course of the season.

But those arrivals won’t be coming to Ewood Park on large salaries, with the boss keen to maintain the positive team spirit within the dressing room which served them well in 2017/18.

Taking a long-term view on the situation, Mowbray added: “This group of players deserve respect as well, I don’t think it’s right to go out there and bring in superstar footballers on treble the money the players we’ve got are on.

“That would be the wrong thing to do.

“We need to build it and if we can be successful next year then we can reward the current crop of players who would be doing well if we’re successful to try and build it bit by bit if we can.”

If ?

If we can?

So there's no money then .

Venkys out !

16 hours ago, Mercer said:

Good call.

The learning for Lenihan would be incredible (even though we class him as a 'youngster' at 24!) and would free up Charlie for the holding midfield role bringing class, know how and stability.

Lenihan needs to improve vastly on his thirty, forty, fifty yard forward balls. Then he will look a more accomplished player just hope he's not on the piss this summer instead.

11 minutes ago, JAL said:

Lenihan needs to improve vastly on his thirty, forty, fifty yard forward balls. Then he will look a more accomplished player just hope he's not on the piss this summer instead.

Oh JAL, you never cease to amaze me with the ..stuff ..you come out with. 

What does that player need to improve?

Well, he needs to improve his 30, 40 and 50 yard balls of course! 

What about his 20 and 60 yard balls? 

No, they are fine 

29 yard balls? 

Oh ya , he needs to improve them too. 

Where do you come up with this stuff? :D

What do you mean by saying you hope Lenihan isn't on the piss this summer? Lenihan has a very long term girlfriend and barely drinks.  I would advise not looking on Dacks Instagram if off season boozing is your concern.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not Charlies style.

I agree we need a Moran/Short type. Most teams at the top end of the championship have battled hardened centre halves 

I tend to agree with you too, but he is a talisman and I can't see him playing anywhere but at the back from now on. Do you think that would help or hinder his, the new old pro or DL's roles in the team? DL is certainly versatile, but does he see his future at centre half and not midfield?

Just now, StaffordRover said:

I tend to agree with you too, but he is a talisman and I can't see him playing anywhere but at the back from now on. Do you think that would help or hinder his, the new old pro or DL's roles in the team? DL is certainly versatile, but does he see his future at centre half and not midfield?

Mulgrew is definitely a center half now, that debate is over. 

I would say we may see Lenihan midfield again if we are stuck, but that ideally he will be center half. He has just gotten his 1st international cap playing there, so can't see him wanting to move to midfield now and having to compete for that position. He has a much better chance of playing for Ireland in defense. 

5 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I understand why you think we should be signing young hungry players. I do also. But you can't put a price on an experienced player at the back to let the younger lads learn from and take some pressure off whilst instilling confidence in the younger attacking lads to get forward. You also need some older pros around the dressing room and training ground. I would want young hungry attacking players and some defenders around some experience from the back. Collins, huth and players of that ilk would be a great addition without signing Crocks and players after a final payday for the rest of the squad places. I know we have mulgrew but one more solid experienced centre back would really tighten things up. 

That's not me believing we can sign those two players just players of that nature

Huth hasnt played a league game all season and Collins wages would be far too much for me. We already got some old pros in the squad like Graham, Conway, Whittingham and Mulgrew.  

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Huth hasnt played a league game all season and Collins wages would be far too much for me. We already got some old pros in the squad like Graham, Conway, Whittingham and Mulgrew.  

With a young goalkeeper and potentially playing 3 at the back, I would like a battle hardened experienced centre half in there. Mulgrew, Downing, Lenihan and a Collins type player. Williams and Bell competing for left back and Nyambe to get some competition also. 

Don't tell me Bennett can play center half now Chaddy :) 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mulgrew is definitely a center half now, that debate is over. 

I would say we may see Lenihan midfield again if we are stuck, but that ideally he will be center half. He has just gotten his 1st international cap playing there, so can't see him wanting to move to midfield now and having to compete for that position. He has a much better chance of playing for Ireland in defense. 

So essentially any new centre back would have to be willing to be third choice (minimum), albeit with a very realistic chance of getting a run, based on Lenihan's and Mulgrew's injury records and potential drop in form. Any thoughts on what older prem pro would want that gig, especially on a vastly reduced salary (which would otherwise 'compensate' for their lack of game time). We've been stung too many times in recent years, so whilst I certainly like the idea of the older pro in defence, finding the right one will be a challenge.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

With a young goalkeeper and potentially playing 3 at the back, I would like a battle hardened experienced centre half in there. Mulgrew, Downing, Lenihan and a Collins type player. Williams and Bell competing for left back and Nyambe to get some competition also. 

I can see your point about experience centre half but players like Collins or Huth shouldnt be looked at imo. Too old and wages out of our reach. 

If we are going to sign a centre back I would rather someone around 26/27 then we have him his best years but Lenihan and Mulgrew would be centre back pairing if we are 4 at the back

It will cost a lot more to get a 26/27 year old of the desired quality, who is also happy to play second or third fiddle.  The right 33-36 is year old could give us experience and be willing to stand by until called on. To be honest, if we got the right one they could very well fancy their chances of breaking into the starting 11.

We seemed a bit panicy at the back last season. Maybe that's due to having a young keeper and two centre halves who were midfielders. Old fashioned, no nonsense centre half required please. 

I'm not writing Downing off either. He has been impeccable when called on and will be in the mix again next season

Edited by Bigdoggsteel