BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

33 minutes ago, 47er said:

No way will Venkys fund transfers to gain us promotion or even get us in the hunt. If TM was asking for that he'd have been sacked already!

He's said he wants us to strengthen here and there, to sign young players from lower leagues with the potential to develop,( like Bell I assume) and for us to get better bit by bit, season by season.

It makes sense on 2 fronts---its the only way forward Venkys will support, and, in the case of Burnley, it has been shown to work.

Whether the fans are willing to hang on and age further while we go through this process I'm not sure!

I'm guessing 1.5 million might well be it. It just sounds right.

That process doesn't bother me. Nor does waiting for a few years for things to develop. What bothers me is the last time we embarked upon such a process under Gary Bowyer after 2 seasons they decided they'd had enough of waiting so sacked him and sold all our best players and got us relegated to League One.

What's to say they won't do the same with Mowbray if he spends a couple of seasons in mid-table or bottom half of the Championship?

10 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I suspect FFP rules in the Championship would kybosh anything other than a modest spend TBH. 

Ian, did you not listen to the excellently produced and presented podcast available on iTunes and android devices?? It is my understanding from listening to the afformentioned podcast that if venkys put money in before the end of June, it is recorded as being part of our league 1 finances and not subject to championship FFP rules 

All hypothetically, of course 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

37 minutes ago, JHRover said:

That process doesn't bother me. Nor does waiting for a few years for things to develop. What bothers me is the last time we embarked upon such a process under Gary Bowyer after 2 seasons they decided they'd had enough of waiting so sacked him and sold all our best players and got us relegated to League One.

What's to say they won't do the same with Mowbray if he spends a couple of seasons in mid-table or bottom half of the Championship?

Quite so. 

4 hours ago, Earlydoors said:

No news then

Rather strange we haven't heard from Tony Mowbray since he got back(unless I've missed something), I did wonder if he is about

to be announced as the new manager at Sunderland.

Their new owner was on Talksport at lunchtime, he has the new guy all signed up on a 2 year deal apparently, they were throwing all sorts of names

at him but he kept saying ' no not him' , TM'S name was not mentioned for him to deny though.

Probably not Mowbray but, they will be wanting to get out of League 1 at the first time of asking, so who knows ?

We'll know pretty soon I guess.

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly, im very chill out and relax. Looking forward to the start of the season and Mowbray's signings. 

What stuff have you got right? Please list these. 

Do you think that maybe the reason we haven't heard anything from Mowbray since he got back from India is because he is considering his future due to the Venkys telling him he has no money to spend?

Why would anyone think Mowbray would even be remotely interested in going to Sunderland? He's spent the last 3 years of his managerial career trying to get out of League One.

If Sunderland are appointing someone like Jack Ross coupled with getting rid of Coleman purely to save on overheads it tells me that perhaps they aren't as flush as some people seem to think they are.

• Like 1

If he gets 1.5 million to actually spend without selling I think that's a small step forwards again like last season comparing to the years before that.

Not great obviously but a slow patient build this time is probably the best way. Just don't spend it on the likes of Samuel or Gladwin !!!

Edited by tomphil

Just now, JHRover said:

Why would anyone think Mowbray would even be remotely interested in going to Sunderland? He's spent the last 3 years of his managerial career trying to get out of League One.

If Sunderland are appointing someone like Jack Ross coupled with getting rid of Coleman purely to save on overheads it tells me that perhaps they aren't as flush as some people seem to think they are.

He'd be a lot closer to home and the crowds would be massive for League 1, if he had them at the top all season.

I think if I was him, I'd definitely be interested.

Anyway doesn't matter if they've already got Ross.

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Do you think that maybe the reason we haven't heard anything from Mowbray since he got back from India is because he is considering his future due to the Venkys telling him he has no money to spend?

Maybe just maybe he and his staff are trying to tie players + new players down before word gets out how much he has to spend, think positive fellow rovers.

I really dislike the "we must know everything now" era that we now appear to live in.

How on earth did folk go on before the days of message boards/social media etc?

Time will tell what Mowbray does/doesn't have to spend, once we get into June the window will start going crazy no doubt.

Let's all go out, enjoy the sunshine, watch some of the world cup and meet up here on 1st July to see what has happened, no?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Do you think that maybe the reason we haven't heard anything from Mowbray is that he may have gone on a family holiday before the real work begins at the start of June?  If he has, I for one believe that he fully deserves a break.

• Like 4

Mowbray has either been financially backed but the club are keeping Mum as not to inflate prices or he has been told there is no money and has to work with what he has

He must be gutted if its the second but most likely outcome...only our transfer dealings will tell the tale.

From nicko

Blackburn. Mowbray wants a couple of cheap ones or frees inside budget before a couple of loans. Try to keep inside annual payroll projection of 12m.

Blackburn wish list. Cover keeper. Cover centre half. Alternative right back. Midfield legs. Width. Striker. All bar a new left back. 

From Rich Sharpe. Ask him whether Nicko tweet is correct. His response was 

"there should be something from the man himself shortly."

Tonight Rich Sharpe will release an article from his chat with Mowbray today  

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, West Yorks Rover said:

He'd be a lot closer to home and the crowds would be massive for League 1, if he had them at the top all season.

I think if I was him, I'd definitely be interested.

Anyway doesn't matter if they've already got Ross.

Sunderland are perennial losers with an owner that isn't interested and a dwindling fan base. The only thing they have over us is a bigger stadium which actually i'd argue isn't a positive when it will be 20% full most weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I really dislike the "we must know everything now" era that we now appear to live in.

How on earth did folk go on before the days of message boards/social media etc?

Time will tell what Mowbray does/doesn't have to spend, once we get into June the window will start going crazy no doubt.

Let's all go out, enjoy the sunshine, watch some of the world cup and meet up here on 1st July to see what has happened, no?

It bugs me too.  Considering what an excellent season we've had, it soon gets back to the sniping and winky wafting.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

No I just think he working hard bringing in new players within his budget. Yes I dont expect millions and millions to be spend but sensible signings that fit into our team. Hopefully Armstrong is one of these. 

I dont think for one minute Mowbray would walk away from Rovers. 

• Backroom

Part of the reason people are tetchy about budgets so early on is probably because in the past we've literally gone into August with the Venky light still stuck on red and with no indication of what, if anything, we had to spend. Bowyer's final summer and Coyle's only window immediately spring to mind. I'm not overly concerned at the moment (and my expectations are also very, very low) but I wouldn't be critical of anybody feeling that way considering the club's recent past.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

From nicko

Blackburn. Mowbray wants a couple of cheap ones or frees inside budget before a couple of loans. Try to keep inside annual payroll projection of 12m.

Nixon really is a joke. Has he ever actually said anything non-cryptic and concrete in his tweets? 

He flutes around saying vague cryptic nonsense, so that no matter what happens, he can't be pinned as having said something blatantly false. The goon is constantly blocking people who question him too. I know this from experience. 

The tweet above is a prime example. How would Nixon be the only one who would know what the payroll will be? If it was 12 million, would that not be 4 million more than last season? Yes, we may sign players on frees or cheaply, what clubs won't do that? Loans too, wow, he is really making a wild prediction there. 

Is there anyway I can block posts containing anything written by Nixon? 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nixon really is a joke. Has he ever actually said anything non-cryptic and concrete in his tweets? 

He flutes around saying vague cryptic nonsense, so that no matter what happens, he can't be pinned as having said something blatantly false. The goon is constantly blocking people who question him too. I know this from experience. 

The tweet above is a prime example. How would Nixon be the only one who would know what the payroll will be? If it was 12 million, would that not be 4 million more than last season? Yes, we may sign players on frees or cheaply, what clubs won't do that? Loans too, wow, he is really making a wild prediction there. 

Is there anyway I can block posts containing anything written by Nixon? 

From Nixon

Blackburn wish list. Cover keeper. Cover centre half. Alternative right back. Midfield legs. Width. Striker. All bar a new left back. ?