BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who would you rather have - Armstrong ( a wide forward ?  ) or a fully fit Chapman ( an out and out winger ) ?   I know who I'd chose out of those two.  There's a lot of rubbish talked about modern football , the game hasn't changed that much over the years.

Both.

They have different effective attributes that can be used in various ways when wider.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

• Backroom

Time catches up with all players and it was pretty obvious last season that Conway's race has mostly been run. He's been a really solid performer for us in the past, but we don't live in the past and time isn't going backwards. A good lad to have in the dressing room, I'm sure, but he'd have to take quite a wage drop for me to consider a contract extension on that basis alone worthwhile. 

Still, if TM thinks he's worth the extension I suppose we have to put our faith in that and see what happens. If he can justify that portion of his wage budget being taken up by Conway then so be it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

I think “wide forwards” is the more modern way of at looking at it, the out and out winger has been a little old hat for a while.

It’s how we played last season, and how Man City and Liverpool have been so effective.

That said the players ideally need pace and trickery which we do lack.

Liverpool perhaps, but not City. Sterling and especially Sane are out and out wingers, they aren't 'wide forwards' which is the term Mowbray used to describe using the likes of Gallagher, Samuel, Antonsson and Armstrong. Rich Sharpe made suggestion in the LT recently that Mowbray would perhaps be looking at more traditional wingers this summer. Sharpe gets a slagging on here but he is rarely wrong, mainly because he gets his info from sources in the club. The Dylan McGeough stuff has died a death since he said it was 'wide of the mark'.

• Like 2

Mowbray seems to have his finger on the pulse in regards to wages and what players are worth to the club so hopefully sense prevails with the likes of Conway and when it comes to judging if he tries to keep any of the loans.  Retaining good lads is great but you also need to constantly freshen things up with others equally as good and keen to prove a point if you can't afford better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3508911/manchester-united-among-clubs-tracking-blackburns-jake-garrett-sources

'Manchester United are among a host of Premier League and Championship sides are tracking Blackburn Rovers' teenage sensation Jake Garrett, sources have told ESPN FC'

Anyone seen him play?

I go down a bit my uncle works there and theres some talent coming though . Its the one thing Venkys have got right but these kids need too be brought though not sold on .

• Like 4

Just now, stinny1 said:

I go down a bit my uncle works there and theres some talent coming though . Its the one thing Venkys have got right but these kids need too be brought though not sold on .

Easy money though I suppose and like the lad to Everton last season if they can sell one a year for deals maybe potentially totalling a million then that is a fair chunk of running costs towards the Academy.

Someone will have sold them this idea on the back of keeping it a Cat 1 status no doubt.

Just now, stinny1 said:

Agreed, but I'm not sure how you stop a young lad joining Prem teams like Manure. The money these teams offer the kid's family are eye-watering by all accounts. Having a well-trodden 'pathway' to the 1st team here would help which is why having the likes of Lenihan, Nyambe and others like Travis (potentially) as regulars is so important to the club.

On that note it will be interesting to see how Mahoney and the lad who went to Leicester fare over the next few seasons.  They might have been better off in the long run staying at Rovers.

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We dont know how much hes on or what type of contract it is?

What sentimental?

Conway has loads of championship experience and knowledge. Why would you let go? 

Very true there. Cant disagree there. 

The game hasnt change much? Really. 

It change from tactics, formation, fitness, tackling, defending, 

I'm a level two coach and the game has moved on . Fitness , tactically , and technically  the only thing i would say his some kids are over coached . And there too much made of height and running ability in kids football i've taken lads for trails and been told by coaches  we want tall strong lads where not looking at football ability we can teach them that. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Agreed, but I'm not sure how you stop a young lad joining Prem teams like Manure. The money these teams offer the kid's family are eye-watering by all accounts. Having a well-trodden 'pathway' to the 1st team here would help which is why having the likes of Lenihan, Nyambe and others like Travis (potentially) as regulars is so important to the club.

On that note it will be interesting to see how Mahoney and the lad who went to Leicester fare over the next few seasons.  They might have been better off in the long run staying at Rovers.

Thats what i tell kids and parents all the time . Make it first and the money and everything  else will come

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stinny1 said:

Or if they are to be sold on it should be when they are worth something, not the peanuts the ultra rich Premier League clubs would like to give us when they're 17.

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

Or if they are to be sold on it should be when they are worth something, not the peanuts the ultra rich Premier League clubs would like to give us when they're 17.

Spot on

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

What sentimental?

Conway has loads of championship experience and knowledge. Why would you let go? 

Did you watch Conway much last season? He really struggled IMO and I don't think I'm alone in that. Just a question, but, if Mowbray had deemed Conway surplus to requirements, would you be upset or think that was wrong??

There is absolutely no room for sentiment in professional sport. Conway has been a great servant to the club, but if he struggled in league one and he's now a year older, the championship will be even tougher for him, that much stands to reason. 

If finances are tight, as they have been for the last few years, we need to have every single squad member earning a wage making a big contribution.

• Like 8

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Practically every other ingoing and outgoing that takes place at the club this summer is more important than Conway signing a new deal. It's happening, those that disagree just have to deal with that. 

How would you feel if you were signing the cheques ? It's easy when it's other people's money. We've spunked enough money in the past on signings that didn't make any real sense.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Practically every other ingoing and outgoing that takes place at the club this summer is more important than Conway signing a new deal. It's happening, those that disagree just have to deal with that. 

Drivel on many levels.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How would you feel if you were signing the cheques ? It's easy when it's other people's money. We've spunked enough money in the past on signings that didn't make any real sense.

Ya, but he is in talks to sign a new deal, so what can be done? 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What sentimental?

Very true there. Cant disagree there. 

The game hasnt change much? Really. 

It change from tactics, formation, fitness, tackling, defending, 

Chaddy I played at a good level of football. Mainly either left or right back but as a lad I played all over the park. The attributes I needed to be a good left back then are exactly the same as you need now to play well at  left back, nothing has changed in that respect.

You needed pace, quickness in the turn, you needed to know when and where to commit to the tackle, how to jockey the guy you were playing against. Decent heading ability,  the ability to pass accurately with both feet, short passes as well as long. You need to be able to communicate clearly, especially with the rest of the back four and the guys playing directly in front of you. You need to be able to read the game and sense danger before it happens. Know when to overlap and when to stay at home.

What applied then applies equally now. Fitness, tactics, formations etc can all be taught. Inate footballing ability comes with playing from the minute it gets light until the minute it goes dark. And then it was under the street lights for more.

I used to knock about with a guy who played as a striker for England Schoolboys, he practiced with a tennis ball on a cobbled street near his house.  In games you couldn't get the ball off him.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Going off TMs comments about recruiting young up and coming talent into the squad ,keeping someone like Conway may not be a bad thing.He seems like a good professional,never seem to hear anything untoward regarding his life outside football and has Championship experience to pass down to the (hopefully) new young recruits that TM is aiming for .

TM made it clear to Payne that he will be a bit part player at the club and im sure Conway will have been told the same and any new contract will be influenced by that fact. Im sure it will be a "Sorry Craig ..you aint gonna get much playing time but your presence here  could be influential to the young squad so we re only offering you so much ..take it or leave it ". 

Really cant see Conway getting a more substantial deal if not probably a reduced deal ..the Club hold the cards not Conway.

• Like 1