BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

He's an outstanding shot stopper already. His ability to catch a ball under pressure was Sunday League level in the first few months of the season. He improved on that and his kicking in the 2nd half of the season but he's a long way from outstanding in those areas. Due to his experience Fielding could well be the better keeper at the present time. 

Not sure I'd agree on the merits of Fielding v Raya but my point would be more along the lines that hypothetically we could also blow the rest of our budget boosting the squad depth by bringing in players as back up almost as good as our other best players such as Dack, Mulgrew and Lenihan but I' sure no-one would want us to do that. I'd far sooner see us replace the likes of Williams, Evans, Conway and Samuel with quality rather than worry about bringing in competition for Raya which to me seems pretty unnecessary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure I'd agree on the merits of Fielding v Raya but my point would be more along the lines that hypothetically we could also blow the rest of our budget boosting the squad depth by bringing in players as back up almost as good as our other best players such as Dack, Mulgrew and Lenihan but I' sure no-one would want us to do that. I'd far sooner see us replace the likes of Williams, Evans, Conway and Samuel with quality rather than worry about bringing in competition for Raya which to me seems pretty unnecessary.

On the other hand, it could also indicate a healthy budget to play with...

Or that we've had a good offer for Raya?

• Like 1

The fact that there is a debate as to who should start between Raya and Fielding is clearly a positive sign. 

We are potentially signing better competition for our goalkeeping position. Do people really need to try and find a negative slant on this? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Raya is very good keeper imo and not far short of developing into an outstanding one. Fielding would undoubtedly be an upgrade on Leutwiler and if he is happy to come just to sit on the bench fair enough but I doubt that and overall it seems a very strange move to me, I'd have thought we had other areas that were a far greater priority.

People need to remember Raya was struggling with a groin strain style problem at the end of the season. Let's see what his kicking is  like when that's been cured.

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I doubt very much we would sign Fielding at the expense of not signing someone for another key position. It's not like for like. Plus the deal won't cost that much I would imagine. 

You are sure people wouldn't want us to bring in players as good as Dack, Mulgrew and Lenihan? We need back up for Dack and we more than likely need another centre half. Does it not make sense that they would be as good as possible? 

Replace Williams?? We have Bell. Samuel is flat out in the gym, he will be back like a tank and knocking defenders over like feathers :)

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, Madon said:

I'm astounded that people would consider dropping Raya for Frank Fielding.

Raya was fantastic last season and saved our arses in a few games. 22 years old and a product of our academy, we should be doing whatever it takes to let him continue his development... IMO he is our biggest monetary asset and will be playing in the top 6 of the Premier League within 4 seasons. 

It’s the inconsistency that worries me. He didn’t get punished for his decision making in League 1, but there’s a far higher chance he will in the Championship, due to the sheer gulf in quality. 

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

People need to remember Raya was struggling with a groin strain style problem at the end of the season. Let's see what his kicking is  like when that's been cured.

Remember Steeles kicking when he first came it was poor, weak as a kitten in fact but it did improve so there's time for Raya on that front although I think it's more he tries to be too clever and cute at times instead of just clearing it as far as possible.

40 minutes ago, Madon said:

IMO he is our biggest monetary asset and will be playing in the top 6 of the Premier League within 4 seasons. 

He's a potential good 'un, no doubt.

But assuming the top 6 cartel stays as is, you think he'll be one of Man Utd/Man City/Lpool/Arsenal/Tottenham/Chelsea's keeper by 2021?

Quite a prediction!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Madon said:

I'm astounded that people would consider dropping Raya for Frank Fielding.

Raya was fantastic last season and saved our arses in a few games. 22 years old and a product of our academy, we should be doing whatever it takes to let him continue his development... IMO he is our biggest monetary asset and will be playing in the top 6 of the Premier League within 4 seasons. 

He won't have a cat in hell's chance of playing for a top six club with the way he kicks and fails to impose when coming for crosses.  It is a real downside to his game that he has to sort out.

He is a fantastic shot stopper though and coped well in the Championship last time around and I think, will only get better. If he does end up as a Premier League keeper, it'll be via the play offs with us ?

Personally, I think maybe he is struggling a bit mentally and plays on his nerves - hence the panic kicking but lightening reflexes.  It can only help having an experienced keeper around him and the club.

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

He won't have a cat in hell's chance of playing for a top six club with the way he kicks and fails to impose when coming for crosses.  It is a real downside to his game that he has to sort out.

He is a fantastic shot stopper though and coped well in the Championship last time around and I think, will only get better. If he does end up as a Premier League keeper, it'll be via the play offs with us ?

Personally, I think maybe he is struggling a bit mentally and plays on his nerves - hence the panic kicking but lightening reflexes.  It can only help having an experienced keeper around him and the club.

Big Brad was the best goalie we've ever had and at his peak one of the top two in the world but he wasn't the greatest at coming out for crosses either.  I think that's how goalies are these days, they're taught to stay on their line and leave the crosses to the centre halves. That's ok if your centre halves are commanding the air.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Big Brad was the best goalie we've ever had and at his peak one of the top two in the world but he wasn't the greatest at coming out for crosses either.  I think that's how goalies are these days, they're taught to stay on their line and leave the crosses to the centre halves. That's ok if your centre halves are commanding the air.

That's so true. Brad nearly always stayed on his line. Vital that Raya does the same as he was doing later in the season.

However a big, ugly, gorilla is need at centre-back to challenge.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

True...but he could kick ?

Flowers claimed loads of crosses but he always seemed to have a couple of goes at catching it on the way down.

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He's a potential good 'un, no doubt.

But assuming the top 6 cartel stays as is, you think he'll be one of Man Utd/Man City/Lpool/Arsenal/Tottenham/Chelsea's keeper by 2021?

Quite a prediction!

Yeah, I honestly think he will be absolutely top class. Admittedly, he is still very raw but the potential is definitely there. 

See you in 4 seasons ?

• Like 1

If Fielding is cheap and coming as back up to Raya it seems like a sensible signing to me. He's a better keeper than Leutwiler & has experience of over 150 championship games worth of experience. We aren't going to get a better back up goal keeper than that unless we want to spend silly money on someone to start on the bench.

• Like 7

Rich Sharpe‏ @richsharpe89 2m2 minutes ago

Appears #Rovers defender Derrick Williams didn't train with Republic of Ireland today because of a groin problem, putting his involvement against USA on Saturday in doubt.

Coincidence. I don't bloody think so. Del's in Bristol having talks.

Blueboy 1 v Nixaddy 0

Somewhere on here I said when Rovers signed Bell and no one could fathom why he wasn't starting in his position that maybe it was long term and Williams was being moved on or wanted to move on in summer.

Balls to Nixon or Blueboy ??

I'm claiming it !!!

This breaking story is gathering space. My 'sources' tell me Mogga isn't happy Williams is being allowed to leave and has alerted Europe's top clubs that he mayleave Rovers for a 'new challenge'. Next minute there's a press conference saying Zidane has 'quit'. Coincidence? I don't bloody think so. Mogga's off to the Bernabeu and Zidane is coming here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Rich Sharpe‏ @richsharpe89 2m2 minutes ago

Appears #Rovers defender Derrick Williams didn't train with Republic of Ireland today because of a groin problem, putting his involvement against USA on Saturday in doubt.

Coincidence. I don't bloody think so. Del's in Bristol having talks.

Blueboy 1 v Nixaddy 0

Wouldn't be unhappy with this at all, if his form from last year continues he will struggle with the step-up to the Championship imo 

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Somewhere on here I said when Rovers signed Bell and no one could fathom why he wasn't starting in his position that maybe it was long term and Williams was being moved on or wanted to move on in summer.

I'm claiming it !!!

I'll see you in the court of ITK.?(couldn't find a gavel?)

Just now, tomphil said:

I'm claiming it !!!

Unless it has the " Chaddy " stamp of approval it's just a rumour.

• Like 1

Could be a Mowbray masterstroke like getting shut of Steele for an actual fee.

Imagine if they get 1 million for Derek with Fielding coming here as half of it so there is then 500k in the pot ?