BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's very easy to "throw mud" on here and is a tactic used by some far too often. I wouldn't say criticism of a player signing is necessarily 'writing him off', more a show of initial disappointment. I can't believe any fan would want a player to fail in a Rovers shirt.

I was disappointed with the signing of Downing, then after 6 months of good form I said I'd look to sign him on a free. His form subsequently dipped and he's looked the player I feared he was at the start. That shows what I know and is why I am not paid to make decisions. That doesn't mean I can't at least voice an opinion though.

Chaddy said Gladwin scored lots of goals at this level (league 1 at the time) and bigged the signing up. Turned out to be wrong and he was the predictable shocker most expected. That isn't brought up every single time he mentions a player - maybe lessons should be learnt.

Downings form dropped? Not sure that is fair to say. He lost his place to Lenihan, but was solid in every subsequent game he was called upon. You say he proved you wrong, but then add that line to make out you were in some way vindicated of your early criticism of the signing. So which is it, did you get the Downing signing wrong or didn't you? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

To go into the first team ladyboy? 

His post said 5 players to go into the first team 

I think we do ideally need 5 first team players if we want to compete in the top half.

1 x striker, 2 x wingers, 1 x CM, 1 x LB

I like the guy, but Williams would be a disaster in the Championship (as he was for much of this season in League One).

All this depends on budget obviously. It won't be cheap finding "first team" signings.

11 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I think we do ideally need 5 first team players if we want to compete in the top half.

1 x striker, 2 x wingers, 1 x CM, 1 x LB

I like the guy, but Williams would be a disaster in the Championship (as he was for much of this season in League One).

All this depends on budget obviously. It won't be cheap finding "first team" signings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amari'i_Bell  

50 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Downings form dropped? Not sure that is fair to say. He lost his place to Lenihan, but was solid in every subsequent game he was called upon

His form dropped massively. His break from the team and Lenihan's return was crucial. He played well when he came back in the team.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Downings form dropped? Not sure that is fair to say. He lost his place to Lenihan, but was solid in every subsequent game he was called upon. You say he proved you wrong, but then add that line to make out you were in some way vindicated of your early criticism of the signing. So which is it, did you get the Downing signing wrong or didn't you? 

I got it wrong. I thought he was a poor player, his "new team" form shall we say changed my mind and then his form dropped massively once he signed permanently. I got it wrong on both occasions. The signing, due to it being free, will be a good one but I can't see him shaking Lenihan or Mulgrew from their perches and the calls for a tougher centre back echo the sentiments that he isn't quite what we need.

You really can't take any criticism of any Rovers player, can you?

It's more than fair to say Downing's form dropped. I want to know how many games you saw after Christmas to claim he was solid in every game called upon? Downing's passing game became terrible and he lost composure on the ball. He lost his place because Lenihan is twice the player Downing is. Suitable back up but by no means the same player we saw in early 2017.

13 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I got it wrong. I thought he was a poor player, his "new team" form shall we say changed my mind and then his form dropped massively once he signed permanently. I got it wrong on both occasions. The signing, due to it being free, will be a good one but I can't see him shaking Lenihan or Mulgrew from their perches and the calls for a tougher centre back echo the sentiments that he isn't quite what we need.

You really can't take any criticism of any Rovers player, can you?

It's more than fair to say Downing's form dropped. I want to know how many games you saw after Christmas to claim he was solid in every game called upon? Downing's passing game became terrible and he lost composure on the ball. He lost his place because Lenihan is twice the player Downing is. Suitable back up but by no means the same player we saw in early 2017.

Ya, I can. It's just the nonsensical ,trivial and unsubstantiated criticism I see sometimes on here irks me. Not at all directed at you as your response above is well thought out and measured. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Moderation Lead

Re Downing, his form really did drop at a time to be fair. He had looked very good initially, but maybe that was down to the calming influence of Mulgrew. Then Lenihan came back and he was dropped, so it wasn't really an issue after that. 

• Like 1

Football about opinions etc. but if his form dropped that massively then it was completely lost on me. His distribution was very hit and miss, but I remember him doing his job as a centre half to a pretty good standard until Lenihan came back. I agree that he's not likely to shift Lenihan & Mulgrew, who are much more well rounded players, but I think that was equally true when Downing first came in the team. 

• Like 1

Defensively he still looked pretty solid, however he began to hoof and slice the ball out of play on a regular basis.

Lenihan can go all the way to the PL, in my opinion and then there’s King Charles, so that was that when Lenihan got back fit.

I wonder did Downings confidence take a knock? In fairness he did little wrong, but the minute Lenihan returned he was out of the starting 11. Downing was a huge reason in us going up. He did a great job while Lenihan was out,. 

I do agree on the above than Lenihan could make it to the Premier league. I really think the stint he has had in centre midfield will really stand to him going forward as teams look more and more towards ball playing centre halves. I think he has the potential to have a really good season 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Citation needed Chaddy!

If you are going to sling mud then let’s see the receipts, I don’t recall any posts from him writing off Smallwood 

I was wrong so my apologises @roversfan99

This is what you said on the Smallwood signing

"People are alllowed to question some of Mowbrays decisions, hes not the untouchable you seem to make up. To be fair Whittingham is a good signing, and Smallwood im content with as back up for Evans, but if people question it you cant tell them to "give it a rest lad."

4 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Well, to be fair, I was also worried about Graham at the start of last season-maybe before.

At the start of last season, my -albeit unprofessional-judgement was that he was looking lethargic and overweight. In fact, we even had a joke about him being like Elvis at the end!

I confess!

Yes I did but he proved me wrong

5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's very easy to "throw mud" on here and is a tactic used by some far too often. I wouldn't say criticism of a player signing is necessarily 'writing him off', more a show of initial disappointment. I can't believe any fan would want a player to fail in a Rovers shirt.

I was disappointed with the signing of Downing, then after 6 months of good form I said I'd look to sign him on a free. His form subsequently dipped and he's looked the player I feared he was at the start. That shows what I know and is why I am not paid to make decisions. That doesn't mean I can't at least voice an opinion though.

Chaddy said Gladwin scored lots of goals at this level (league 1 at the time) and bigged the signing up. Turned out to be wrong and he was the predictable shocker most expected. That isn't brought up every single time he mentions a player - maybe lessons should be learnt.

Yes I was wrong about Gladwin. Still feel there is a player in there but feel like he will reach the highs he should have done

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Straight into the first team where? 2 wingers, yes. A centre midfielder and arguably a striker. Where do you get 5?

We need 2 strikers.  Graham gets any kind of injury or drops off the pace (as has been known) then we don't want to be left with Samuel and Nuttall as main strikers

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was wrong so my apologises @roversfan99

This is what you said on the Smallwood signing

"People are alllowed to question some of Mowbrays decisions, hes not the untouchable you seem to make up. To be fair Whittingham is a good signing, and Smallwood im content with as back up for Evans, but if people question it you cant tell them to "give it a rest lad."

Yes I did but he proved me wrong

Yes I was wrong about Gladwin. Still feel there is a player in there but feel like he will reach the highs he should have done

I think that passage is referring to Gladwin, rather than Smallwood.

Still the same message though haha, you can offer criticisms of a potential signing.

Youve proved based on my Whittingham analysis that I dont know what im talking about...

Thanks for the apology but no need.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

This thread is full of absolutely useless information. 

We should sign xyz... It's all just heresay 

Who is this xyz character? Chinese?

Who is his agent?

Never heard of him but he sounds perfect for us.

• Like 2