BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

3 minutes ago, unsall said:

Believe Bolton talking to Danny Graham,and offering more money than Rovers,he’s waiting for Rovers to up their offer.

Wouldn't bother if I was Rovers, it must be highly debatable whether he'll cut it in the Championship next season  in terms of fitness, attitude and ability.

We'd probably be better starting from scratch with a couple of younger hungrier players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wouldn't bother if I was Rovers, it must be highly debatable whether he'll cut it in the Championship next season  in terms of fitness, attitude and ability.

We'd probably be better starting from scratch with a couple of younger hungrier players.

Me neither , suspect he will struggle to make much impact in Championship !

26 minutes ago, unsall said:

Believe Bolton talking to Danny Graham,and offering more money than Rovers,he’s waiting for Rovers to up their offer.

If this is true then we are fooked. If frigging Bolton can afford to offer a player more than we can then I'm lowering my expectations for this summer greatly. :lol: 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 3

Just now, Mike E said:

Re: Downing, I view him like I viewed Zurab in our Prem years. Never going to be better than our first teamers but a great cover defender.

I wouldn't argue with that at all. For a free transfer he was bloody solid for us last season and although I wouldn't start the guy this season I have no problem with him being back up. 

Just now, Butty said:

If this is true then we are fooked. If frigging Bolton can afford to offer a player more than we can then I'm lowering my expectations for this summer greatly. :lol: 

Every player has a price , a bit like the Whittingham saga !!!

Just now, Butty said:

Probably more likely that we aren't prepared to up our offer, rather than Bolton being able to outbid us.

Just now, Butty said:

I'm guessing but I would think the length of the contract would be as important to Graham as the money. I would like him to stay but I don't think we should be offering more than a one year deal.

• Like 3

Just now, iSeeRed said:

Probably more likely that we aren't prepared to up our offer, rather than Bolton being able to outbid us.

Hang on is this the same bolton who haven't got a pot to piss in, i very much doubt DG is talking to them. 

Downing was definitely an upgrade on Ward, so he 100% served his purpose in that regard.

His distribution was usually abysmal to be honest, when he was in the team, opposition would so often harass all our other players until the ball got to Downing, from there would they back off and restrict the sideways option, safe in the knowledge the next person to touch the ball would be their own GK... usually.

Defensively, he was fine but i think he is a better "backs to the wall" defender than a "Promotion chasing possession" defender.

Saying all that I see him as a 4th choice option on a par with Williams in 5th. Meaning i would like an upgraded CB3 this summer... after two wingers, a cm and a striker.

EDIT: IMO, Downing was signed permanently in January as a "We will lose Mulgrew and Lenihan if we fail to get promoted, so we will need CB's next year IF we're in League 1" signing.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I'm guessing but I would think the length of the contract would be as important to Graham as the money. I would like him to stay but I don't think we should be offering more than a one year deal.

Yeah a one year deal is the only option surely but with him being one of our highest paid players I'd be very surprised if Bolton were able to pay him more than us, and commit to doing it over two years also. Too be fair neither of us have a pot to piss in so maybe DG is holding out for a team that isn't rovers or Bolton :lol: he hasn't got many years left so he'll want to earn as much as possible for as long as possible. I wouldn't blame him for that either if he does move on.

2 hours ago, unsall said:

Thanks. 

Do you know how much we offer him? 

1 hour ago, Butty said:

But we arent fooked at all. 

Its depends on how much Graham wants and whether it worth for us to offer him the same. 

How many games will he play? 

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

We paid an undisclosed fee for Downing in January, but given his contract MK Dons was coming to an end this summer, I imagine it won't have been a huge amount. Maybe around £100K-£200K.

Downing was very good during his loan spell, but he definitely took a dip in form around Christmas time - nothing compared to the awful Ward, though! Since then Downing has been steady enough. He got us through our tough defensive struggle when few thought he would, and I'm happy with him as backup.

Nah he's not championship level. One injury and Charlie and Darragh do get injured. I'd like to see better quality than Tony's mate's lad.

Ethan Ampadu on loan as back up 

41 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Nah he's not championship level. One injury and Charlie and Darragh do get injured. I'd like to see better quality than Tony's mate's lad.

Ethan Ampadu on loan as back up 

A 17 year old? No thanks. When has a 17 year old ever started centre half for a club in the championship? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Do we not have a years option on Graham we can trigger if needed. 

Yeah but on the same deal he signed with us when he joined.

In telegraph few weeks back that we are trying to negotiate on lesser terms.

Disagree with the posters who say Graham is finished and wouldn't mind him not re-signing only have to look at his performances 2nd half of season to know that's nonsense.Yeah we won't get a full 90 out of him and will probably not have the legs to start every game but imo we should be doing what we can to get him signed up for next season 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, unsall said:

It's not more money (weekly at least) - they've offered him a 2 year deal.