BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

4 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I sometimes wonder if Tony has been given a directive from above and doesn't have a free hand at the moment.

Mowbray has also said he wants to give last year's squad a chance at playing in the championship as a reward for their great work and attitude last season. If we sign youthful players good enough for the first team then some of last years team will have to drop out.

We have a few youthful players of our own who are knocking on the door. Last year we borrowed a couple of youngsters from the premiership who were no better than the ones we had ( from West Brom and Liverpool ?).

I think the quote from Tony (above) is very carefully composed and it gives grounds for optimism but doesn't really promise much.

I don't think that's the problem he has been given a directive from the owners that he cant sign older players but Mowbray looking at the medium and long term plan and also wants to add youth to a squad which has experience players like Mulgrew, Whittingham, Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, etc. its not like we got a young squad is it. 

Mowbray has said he wants 5 permanent transfers. plus a couple of loans

Hart from Liverpool was a permanent signing

3 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Wigan and Forest chasing Oldham RB Rob Hunt, wonder if we are in the mix given his release clause of 300k?

who?

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Whether you believe it or not, up to you, but it is still rumour. No one knows. If I took every rumour as fact wed have a bloody big squad.

6 goals in 33 suggests not.

surely a goal tally isn't everything a striker should be judge on. 

Plus wasn't he played wide for Birmingham 

My point was more about his all round game like work rate, Heading, Technical, etc

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

surely a goal tally isn't everything a striker should be judge on. 

Plus wasn't he played wide for Birmingham 

My point was more about his all round game like work rate, Heading, Technical, etc

Sam Gallagher? He can't head .. I don't remember him ever winning an Ariel duel when he was here.. for such a tall dude he was pretty gash in the air 

• Like 3

I actually agree with Chaddy for once.

As the lone striker, goals is not everything and I do think the Gallacher has some promising attributes. He wouldn't be the worst shout as I think he could develop into a very good championship player in the future.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My god, you did well to find negativity in those comments. Well done sir. 

I would say cautious rather than negative - but thanks anyway.

To me, a stated aim of being 'youthfully competitive'  is not particularly ambitious. 

If we sign 5 youngsters who send us racing up the league table I will be more than happy. 

• Like 1

Just now, AdamRochina said:

Sam Gallagher? He can't head .. I don't remember him ever winning an Ariel duel when he was here.. for such a tall dude he was pretty gash in the air 

His heading wasnt good when he was here. Thats why I asked has he improved since being at Birmingham..

But he did well here. Still remember his goal against Wolves. What a strike

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His heading wasnt good when he was here. Thats why I asked has he improved since being at Birmingham..

A one off ?

Did he keep us up ?

Sign him and it's a distinct lack of ambition.

Competitive is language used for wet arses that tread water and that's all.

Edited by JAL
  • Like 1

Because a succession of managers continued to play him, he has racked up a shed load of games at this level - so his agent will always be able to get him a gig as an ‘experienced Championship midfielder’.

19 minutes ago, JAL said:

A one off ?

Did he keep us up ?

Sign him and it's a distinct lack of ambition.

Competitive is language used for wet arses that tread water and that's all.

Could we afford any better though JAL? I don't personally think Gallagher is a bad player at this level. I certainly wouldn't object to him coming back. 

53 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

Another 6 ft 1in guy who jumps 5ft 10 ins. I don't think he'll make a good championship player. 

4 minutes ago, Butty said:

Could we afford any better though JAL? I don't personally think Gallagher is a bad player at this level. I certainly wouldn't object to him coming back. 

I agree. would have to be a loan deal at best. 

I hoping we bring in Adelakun and Chapman shortly.  pacey wingers just what we need. still need a centre midfielder and Striker like Armstrong then a back up keeper

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Another 6 ft 1in guy who jumps 5ft 10 ins. I don't think he'll make a good championship player. 

really? 

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I still remember Shabina nondas goal against Leverkusen. Dosent mean I ever wanted him back 

Sam Gallaghers cursed I tell you , relegated with MK Dons , Relegated with us and very nearly Relgated with Brum .... Stay well clear ?? seriously didn't think he was too bad but I wouldn't want him back I'd rather we give Graham the 2 year deal he wants , sign Armstrong permanently then look to get a Ashley Fletcher , Jerome Sinclair or Callum Wilson on on loan , someone hasn't quite made it in the Premier league for one reason or another but still has the hunger to play there

Edited by AJW
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Every club needs one.....................

Every club needs a guy that has made a career out of pretending to be able to play football? I mean fair play to him, he must have made the most money relative to talent in the history of the world, not just football. I’ve never been a fan of sucking up to superiors, but Lowe has proven that it has its merits.

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

Wasnt Tom finney a plumber? And Stuart Pearce was an electrician so don't knock qualified tradesmen. Klinsmann was a qualified baker too. Nowt wrong with him 

Think you missed the point, as a professional football club (despite Venky's best efforts) thought it would be taken as read that we would sign footballers.

Nothing wrong with tradesmen was one myself :)

Although I do think Venky's missed a trick, they could have offered semi pros contracts and tell them to make up the rest of their wages by doing foreigners in the afternoons after training, obviously their friendly just like family agent mates would still take the full commission as if it was a pro player

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

Wasnt Tom finney a plumber? And Stuart Pearce was an electrician so don't knock qualified tradesmen. Klinsmann was a qualified baker too. Nowt wrong with him 

Was he a master baker Gumboots?

Just now, RV Blue said:

How boring has this window been so far? ? Come on Tony, get on with it!

This window is absolutely crucial and going in with knee jerk reactions on recruitment could be an absolute disaster.

Better to take some time and get it right.  As far as I am aware, we have not lost any potential signing due to the wait unless you consider the guy Bolton have just signed, forget his name, a missed opportunity.

Have patience.